Ben's Mk1 Iguana Build

See what the members of the Forum Drive

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Ben's Mk1 Iguana Build

Postby Brad » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:05 am

Well although we haven't officially opened our on line Buggy Shop and new Website we have begun taking in work. Dave's Blue Manx was the last Buggy Custom Offroad Components will work on as they have now moved across to Engineering and Parts Supply Only.

So why are we working on an Iguana which is clearly not a Manx .... well because Meyers Manx Australia will carry out work on any buggy and besides I built the Iguana :lol:

Ben's scope of work includes a lot of custom stuff as well as finishing off some of the earlier work. When he gets it back it will be welded out, buttoned up and have all fabrication finished. From there he will be able to pull it down, paint it and do final assembly.

It arrived late Saturday night and we will spend the next week in the design phase with Ben where we document all work to be undertaken and confirm exactly what he wants.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Ben's Mk1 Iguana Build

Postby Brad » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:08 am

As it sits :

You can see Ben's Build thread Here - http://manxclub.org/index.php?name=Foru ... opic&t=670
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:59 am

Ok work has begun. The custom shortened sump has been made, tig welded and presure tested and the intercooler has been fitted. The intercooler radiator sits in front of the A/C condensor.

Ben also wanted to retain the factory over flow bottle so the radiator had to be moved forward slightly to clear the front barwork and side intrussions.

I will get some pictures when the sun comes up.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:12 am

Ben's Buggy has an EJ20T fitted to it using an RJES Bell housing. The RJES Bell housing allows use of the Subaru starter motor, flywheel and clutch. Another benefit of this setup is that there is a lot more room under it for an exhaust cross over. Ben's exhaust is a custom stainless job which tucks in very tight and because of that needed a custom shortened sump.

The sump we made is similar to a normal CORC Shortened unit with a few small changes and some different baffles and outriggers.

Prior to fitting it was pressure tested to ensure no leaks. Once we have finished the rest of the build it will be wet blasted and painted.

With the sump in place we could fabricate the custom cross member. This cross member retains factory Subaru engine mounts and ties into the rear cage support frames which tie into the torsion housings, rear frame horns and roll cage.

This setup maintains maximum ground clearance and keeps it all very tight.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 am

With the sump in place and Dave confident that the engine wasn't going to fall on his head it was time to start on buttoning up some of the bits up front.

First up we had to mount the intercooler radiator. This will sit in front of the A/C Condenser which sits in front of the radiator. By using all the factory Subaru stuff we were able to keep it all very neat and even retain the Subaru overflow bottle which gives it that nice factory look.

One of things we always try to do when mounting parts is retain the factory grommets, brackets and supports where possible. This ensures not only a good fit but it means replacements are easy to come by and the mounted parts are well supported. In some cases we will re-enforce items to better cope with offroad use.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 am

The next job on the ever growing list was the front bump stops. As Ben’s Iguana is fitted with a 181 front end from factory they used bump stops inside the factory shock housings. This is no good at all offroad so external bump stops are needed.

Ben supplied some funky bump stops he got from somewhere and Dave mounted them to make contact with the lower arm at full compression. It is important here to make sure you allow for full arm travel and maximum contact with the lower arm or the bump stop will get ripped apart quickly.

A combination of shocks and torsion leaves are in place to limit down travel so no stops are needed there as these pull it up before the 181 BJ max’s out.

The next job we moved onto was mounting the custom Rack and Pinion Power steering setup. To do this Dave again retained the factory mounts from the Rack and custom made mounting brackets which will be welded to the beam to keep the rack in exactly the right place. The “right place” was established by Wes and his design for zero bump steer and close to perfect Ackerman angle, thanks Wes.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:48 am

Now the rack has been mounted in a solid state it was time to come up with a steering limit setup which would be adjustable ( ADR Required) and not detract from the neat and tidy look of his front end. Dave and I have a few ideas of how to do this so we will see what later in the week brings.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey Brad, is this Rack & Pinion steering a "bolt on" option...meaning, is this something that you are selling already modified to fit a standard BJ front end ?
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 pm

BlueV2 wrote:Hey Brad, is this Rack & Pinion steering a "bolt on" option...meaning, is this something that you are selling already modified to fit a standard BJ front end ?

Nope that Rack and Pinion is an upgrade from my original non power steering model. We looked at doing a bolt on but there are some fitment issues meaning you had to modify the frame head etc so we decided it wasn't a good option as it was to easy to stuff up.

The setup shown here is in a widend beam so it would not fit in a stock front end. I have a different setup again going in my Iguana and I am working in a bolt in kit to release next year with the Manxters.

The plan for the kit I am working on will be on exchange with your bare front beam and just bolts straight back in. It uses custom tie rods with Late T1 outers so they fit BJ Spindles etc no worries. Rack mount is fitted to the beam before shipping meaning it is almost impossible to stuff up install.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Cool. That sounds like the go.

Of course that will then cause issues with my radiator, condensor and possibly fuel tank :( aaarrh when will this buggy building ever end :roll: :roll:
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 am

BlueV2 wrote:Cool. That sounds like the go.

Of course that will then cause issues with my radiator, condensor and possibly fuel tank :( aaarrh when will this buggy building ever end :roll: :roll:

Buggy Building never stops, heck I have rebuilt my Iguana at least 3 times and it has never even been driven.. :roll:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 am

Well Dave had a big day today and quite a bit got done. Buggy is down to a floor pan and work has begun on tunnel modifications and working out just how we are going to get the 13 odd lines through there.

Will post a full update tonight when I get home.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Matt
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:45 am

13 ?
dbryar
MCA Treasurer
MCA Treasurer

Postby dbryar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 am

radiator (2)
A/C (2)
P/S (2 or 4)
brakes (1 or 2)
Fuel (3)

There could be something I've not thought of if brakes and P/S are the lower of the thwo numbers
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:58 am

radiator (2)
A/C (2)
P/S (2)
brakes (1)
Fuel (3)
WAIC (2)
Hydraulic Clutch (1)
vaccuum tube (1)
Accellerator (1)
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.

Return to “Manx Club Forum Buggies and Bajas”