Ben's Mk1 Iguana Build

See what the members of the Forum Drive

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Ben's Mk1 Iguana Build

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:04 am

Ok so first up we did the rack and pinion steering limits. Due to placement what is around to tie it into I cam up with an over the beam design which uses the factory front body mounts.

The pictures give you the idea but I was to slow in taking them so it is all just sitting there. We now have some screw adjusters which get welded on to make it adjustable.

The adjusters get welded onto each of the tabs and allow you to set the position of teh centre mount.

Last edited by Brad on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 am

The tear down has begun and the cage is out for final weld and modifications.

You can see the intergrated coil over shock mounts.

before pull down Dave finished off the seat mounts to Ben's interesting seat position.

You will also see we cut out that stupid VW Hand Brake setup.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 am

In order to fit the insane number of pipes down the tunnel we will have to make a few minor mods. Luckily Dave is the king of cool and making mods look stock.

Water pipes need a new home...

yep she sure is looking sweet.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:12 am

Anyway that is about all the updates for today. It takes a bloody long time to gut a VW tunnel with all the stupid lines and tubes spot welded everywhere.

More to follow Friday .....
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:13 am

Well after another big day where Dave spent over 2 hrs getting the water lines through the tunnel they are in .... yep I look forward to Ben pulling them out to paint it.

Anyway barwork has begun to be welded up, we have fitted some Manx Australia Tunnel Access Kits ( 3mm flange with 2mm ali cover) so Ben can get into the tunnel once teh build is done.

Water lines, heater lines, intercooler lines are all in and we have begun on mocking up the hard lines so they can be made and tig welded.

Will get some pics tonight.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Beachlife
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Beachlife » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Is it too early to ask what will be used instead of "the stupid VW hand brake setup?" Are you planning on a turning brake setup? Will it give greater leverage than the VW handbrake?
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 am

Ok it seems that after 6 years of faithfuk buggy abuse my Camera has died and no longer records pictures RIP old girl time for a new one.

Anyway managed to get one showing the tunnel access holes and water lines, heater lines etc. It sure will be busy back there once done.

I have lso finsihed cutting the side access cover plates so will get them fitted up through the week.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:18 am

Beachlife wrote:Is it too early to ask what will be used instead of "the stupid VW hand brake setup?" Are you planning on a turning brake setup? Will it give greater leverage than the VW handbrake?

At this stage we have narrowed it down to a few options, will confirm once we have settled on the best one.

No plans for turning brakes at this stage, might get a cable locker which would mean no need 8O

As far as leverage goes factory VW is fine once you get it modified :lol: but it still annoys the piss out of me in teh way it falls apart so easy. Tiem will tell.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:26 am

Looking Good
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 am

Ok it has been a little light on for pics and info but there should be some great updates this week as work progresses.

In the mean time I will give you a sneak peak at the Inspection Cover Plates we will be fitting to Ben's Iguana. Being an Iguana it gets a lot of Custom stuff, most of which I have made for my Iguana so Ben picks it up for no effort at all.

Due to the tunnel design and the amount of hoses etc there will be a need for three access panels. One on the top near the old VW pedals and two up the sides.

Anyway no one likes ugly ass covers so we decided to get some machined up which should look a little cooler. Once machined I painted them black and wet sanded them to just leave the paint in the tooling tracks. This is the test one, the real ones will be cut and drilled to fit on. For now I just marked where the bolts will go.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 am

ok was just cleaning up some memory cards in anticipation of a new camera and found a picture I hadn't posted yet.

Here you can see the rear sub frame setup and if you look closely you will see the RJES clutch brackets and bell housing. Of particular note is how the rear engine supports are made and tie into the torsion housing as well as the droppers from the roll bar and shock mounts and rear frame horns ( bolt on section shown later)

The turbo is just sitting there and will be moved slightly when we build the custom dump to suit. For now the headers just merge and await proper collection.

Anyway just thought I would post as it may help others out with their mounting setups. We do sell a DIY kit which consists of all the bars and tabs needed to easily mount your EJ in type 1 pan.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:22 am

Ok before I update Ben's Build I thought I would see if anyone out there could guess what this is for ?

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:14 am

This is just a guess, but it looks like a plate that will house the ridiculous number of tubes exiting the tunnel.
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 am

Lovebuggy wrote:This is just a guess, but it looks like a plate that will house the ridiculous number of tubes exiting the tunnel.

Correct and Correct .. at last count there are 17 hoses now to be run in the tunnel. :roll:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 am

Ok so there are three tunnel inspection holes and they are all in and gusseted with alloy covers.

As you can see it is getting pretty busy in there.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Manx Club Forum Buggies and Bajas”