Change of direction!
After a loing hard think and change of environment/circumstances and available options I have decided that my buggy and Kathryns Buggy will have a new conclusion. As I no longer have the luxury of a shed for playing with my toys because I have moved from Woodgate to the middle of Surfers Paradise and am living in an apartment complex, I am now restricted. More than one car is frowned upon and a car marking its territory is against body corp by laws as it is considered a problem and will end up in the pound.
The Giold Manx will get a new heart: The Pobjoy has died after a short life (seems as though one of those hand grenades let go) and a new replacement is being constructed. Details will follow as well as pictures. It is being built for me and has been pieced together based on my requirements, thoughts and expectations. It is in keeping with what it was built as, a Meyers Manx, originally built in 1982 based on a VW Beetle running a simple air cooled mill. I have tormented myself with the thought of fitting a watercooled motor but have now gone back to the KISS principal. I have spent a small fortrune chasing the solution to a motor that was not what I would call ideal nor was it useable, so a total rethink has arrived at a formula of displacement, pistons, con rods, lifters, valves, carbs, heads, exhaust and crank and cam grinds to provide me with what I am seeking. An auto topsy will have to be had on the Pobjoy to see if the rattles are terminal and consideration will be given to junking or resurrecting.
New front and rear barwork will be designed and built.
The purple buggy will be sold, with consideration given to replacing this with a Kombi with a space to park the Subaru EJ motor in the engine bay.
My ultimate solution would be to build a buggy as an ICV with mid mount motor and transaxle stolen from a front wheel drive car, however space, time and money place many restrictions.
Watch this space for updates!