Beachlife wants water cooling

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Beachlife wants water cooling

Postby Brad » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 am

manxiberty wrote:that one looks zinc or gal plated....man i want one of them...!!! that looks heaps cooler then my black one......

It is zinc coated.

Mk2 sumps have a new option offered early next year which is an clamp on bash plate ... then you can hit stuff real hard and never have an issue.

They won't really fit Mk1 as Mk1 was hand made and all lsightly different. Mk2 has much better quality control ... cause Wes drew it and even made a cool little papaer scale one to show me way back then.
Beachlife
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Beachlife » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 am

Change of direction!

After a loing hard think and change of environment/circumstances and available options I have decided that my buggy and Kathryns Buggy will have a new conclusion. As I no longer have the luxury of a shed for playing with my toys because I have moved from Woodgate to the middle of Surfers Paradise and am living in an apartment complex, I am now restricted. More than one car is frowned upon and a car marking its territory is against body corp by laws as it is considered a problem and will end up in the pound.

The Giold Manx will get a new heart: The Pobjoy has died after a short life (seems as though one of those hand grenades let go) and a new replacement is being constructed. Details will follow as well as pictures. It is being built for me and has been pieced together based on my requirements, thoughts and expectations. It is in keeping with what it was built as, a Meyers Manx, originally built in 1982 based on a VW Beetle running a simple air cooled mill. I have tormented myself with the thought of fitting a watercooled motor but have now gone back to the KISS principal. I have spent a small fortrune chasing the solution to a motor that was not what I would call ideal nor was it useable, so a total rethink has arrived at a formula of displacement, pistons, con rods, lifters, valves, carbs, heads, exhaust and crank and cam grinds to provide me with what I am seeking. An auto topsy will have to be had on the Pobjoy to see if the rattles are terminal and consideration will be given to junking or resurrecting.

New front and rear barwork will be designed and built.

The purple buggy will be sold, with consideration given to replacing this with a Kombi with a space to park the Subaru EJ motor in the engine bay.

My ultimate solution would be to build a buggy as an ICV with mid mount motor and transaxle stolen from a front wheel drive car, however space, time and money place many restrictions.

Watch this space for updates! :o
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 am

Wow I wish you luck with your air cooled build. Hopefully you won't end up with an expensive boat anchor as a lot of issues with quality air cooled parts supply and dodgy assembly is what sent me down the water cooled path in the 1st place.

That being said there are plenty of them running around and many of them do a great deal more miles than any of my water cooled buggies.

I agree keeping it simple is a great option and nothing is easier than pulling an aircooled out of a buggy should the need arrive, also keeps it nice, light and free from damn coolant and radiators.

Looking forward to seeing some pics and progress.

Who is doing the engine build and what are the specs going to be ??
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”