Scott's Supa Sports

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Scott's Supa Sports

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:46 am

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd start a little build diary on behalf of my friends Scott from Rockhampton. I've started doing the floorpan for his LWB Supa Sports.

Will throw up some pictures as things happen, don't expect things to go to quickly though.

Thanks for looking.

Smiley :cool:
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Scott's Supa Sports

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 am

Here is the car in all it's glory. I don't know too many of the details on it so hopefully Scott will jump on here at some stage and shed some light in the situation.

Red goes faster!

Check out those lovely aircraft tyres on the back, great for the beach!

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 am

This is what I started with.

Scott has already removed the old floorpans which were double skinned and ready to catch water in between the metal and rust. A previous owner had decided to place checker plate against the underside of standard pans and weld it on. Very prone to rusting.

The pan has also had a CVD Kombi gearbox mounting kit fitted as scott is going to be running a 1600 3-rib.

The gearstick hole has also been butchered at some stage in the past. With a new piece of tunnel placed over the old and welded down. looked horrible. Oh well, good excuse to relocate the gearstick back a few inchs.

I ground the metal down just on the inside of the welds and removed the old piece. You can see that the old tunnel section was removed with a gas axe, and by someone who can't cut very straight.

All the welds were then smoothed down flush with the original tunnel metal ready to cut the section out to relocate the gearstick hole.

You can see the pen markings for the cut. Initially Scott didn't want to move the gearstick at all. He has no trouble driving his green Baja which is the stock LP tunnel and setup. Has has plans for an angled shifter to compensate for any difficulties. I managed to get him to agreed to 2" further back, Scott might not have troubles but his wife is shorter and she would like to drive the vehicle too.

I bought a section of tunnel with me that I'll be grafting into the car. It's all cut out ready to go in.

That's as far as I got on Saturday aside from cleaning up a few rough edges and grinding down some dags/welds.

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:25 am

cool progress.

Question - has he taken the bottom off the tunnel or just the pan halves off ?

It looks like he has taken the entire bottom of the tunnel off. If this is the case then I would pay particular attention to getting it square before you weld it out as they twist like all buggery when you cut them like that.

That being said it does mean you can run a one piece florr pan which is cool. I did it on a buggy pan years ago and it gives a very nice smooth look underneath.

It also looks like it is a factory IRS with swinger fitted under pan. If this is the case just remember that the factory IRS pans had the gear shifter back 5/1/2 inches from factory and if you move it back any further you will need to move / modify the h/brake to allow it all to clear again. With the K&L Pans we move the gear shift back and use the BJ H/Brake but you can't do that in the IRS pans.

Keep the progress coming.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:37 am

Brad wrote:cool progress.

Question - has he taken the bottom off the tunnel or just the pan halves off ?

It looks like he has taken the entire bottom of the tunnel off. If this is the case then I would pay particular attention to getting it square before you weld it out as they twist like all buggery when you cut them like that.

That being said it does mean you can run a one piece florr pan which is cool. I did it on a buggy pan years ago and it gives a very nice smooth look underneath.

It also looks like it is a factory IRS with swinger fitted under pan. If this is the case just remember that the factory IRS pans had the gear shifter back 5/1/2 inches from factory and if you move it back any further you will need to move / modify the h/brake to allow it all to clear again. With the K&L Pans we move the gear shift back and use the BJ H/Brake but you can't do that in the IRS pans.

Keep the progress coming.

The bottom of the tunnel has been removed too. I have to replace the clutch tube and the fuel lines inside.

Brad do you mean square it up before I weld the gear stick section in or before I do pan halves/lift kit etc?

It has pivot boxes that have been added on. Pan is definitely K+L. We measured the distance from the N-hat to the gearstick hole and it's the same as Scott's stock K+L Baja. I'm going 2" further back then this.

Will ask him if he wants to do the one-piece pan idea. I was thinking this would look quite good.

Thanks for your input Brad, it's always good to get guidance from pros like you and Westwood :D

Last edited by Smiley on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:50 am

Damn I am getting slow ... yeah sorry it is a K&L usually when you see a pan running un-used IRS box's it tends to have been there from factory cause if guys goto the effort of fitting them they tend to get used.

Anyway yours is a K&L and you will also need to modify the rear shock towers if you want to run IRS. This also means yo can move it back about 5" to get it to factory BJ position and then just use the Bj H/Brake.

To move them back I usually get the seection you have then cut 5/1/2 " off the back of it and then swap that to the front.

In relation to squaring, you will need to square it at both stages. I wouldn't weld that tunnel section in until you have the floor sorted and at least tacked or you will warp it prett easy when you weld it out.

The tunnel gets a lot of strength from the bottom and welding the top without it will bend it like a bow.

I would also get it off thos stands real quick as it will bend like a bow.

Step 1 - get the floor sorted, get it on the concrete, get the tunnel tacked to it.

Step 2 - get some levels and string lines and weight it as required to get it flat and sqare again. Once square get it clamped to something before you weld the tunnel top in.

Step 3 - once you have it all sorted weld it out but make sure you have heavy tacks / some stiching between floor and tunnel before you weld out the tunnel top. Or it will bend like a bow.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks.

It's still on the stands but it has some under the middle where the hole is to prevent it sagging.

Scott doesn't want to move the gearstick back that much. I've got him to agree on 2". Should I try and talk him into more? The gearstick he is buying is angled back to compensate.

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 pm

Brad wrote:Damn I am getting slow ... yeah sorry it is a K&L usually when you see a pan running un-used IRS box's it tends to have been there from factory cause if guys goto the effort of fitting them they tend to get used.

I just realised why you're confused!!

The pan that the body is on is not the one I'm building. It was just another rolling pan we had sitting around to move the body in and out of the shed. It is just plain jane K+L and swinger. Whereas the pan that came with the car has had IRS added at some stage and came with all the bits, this is the one I'm building :D

You're not slow after all!! :lol: :lol:

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 pm

heheh well the one you are working on needs it shock towers modified.

2" will be in no man's land so yes I would tell him to got back further so he can use stock shifter setup and H/Brake.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Brad wrote:heheh well the one you are working on needs it shock towers modified.

Got any pictures/tech on how to do this?

It's not too late to convince him to go to a super pan :twisted: I have basically down nothing to this one so far.

jacko
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby jacko » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Hey Smiley

Does he want to sell those back tyres?

They would look extra 'old school' on my Manx!!

Jacko
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 pm

I have no idea. I still have to borrow them and try them down the beach!!
Since he got them they haven't been driven on.

Best to PM him if you want. newy81 is his username.

dbryar
MCA Treasurer
MCA Treasurer

Postby dbryar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am

Jacko, they look like they are either light aircraft tyres or possibly off agricultural machinery. That unfortunately usually also means no Aussie Standars stamp and thus, not for the highway.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:06 am

Smiley wrote:
Brad wrote:heheh well the one you are working on needs it shock towers modified.

Got any pictures/tech on how to do this?

hmm let me see, don't usually take pictures of shock towers :lol:
jacko
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby jacko » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:24 am

Dan

I would only be using the old 'balloon' tyres for displays etc, more than happy with the sand tyres I currently have.

You just dont see too many of those old school (buggy) type tyres anymore.

Jacko

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”