Making Sunshine - MMA Manxter No 1

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Making Sunshine - MMA Manxter No 1

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:12 am

After quite a while in design and planning it is now time to begin what may well be the quickest Full Compliance Buggy Build many of you will ever see. The clock is ticking and failure is not an option. This Buggy will be on the Manx Club Fraser Island Trip in October this year. Now I see you laugh and snicker as you have seen many of my builds go by the way side in search of Buggy Utopia...... well this build has something those didn't ... direction from my wife to say we will not be driving a Cruiser at Fraser and WE WILL BE IN A 4 SEATER BUGGY.

So the time has come to Make Some Sunshine in the shed.

Sunshine will be the 1st Manx Built by Meyers Manx Australia and will be used to showcase our products as well as blaze the way for approved Manxter 2+2 Kits in Australia.

Build Specs:

• Manxter 2+2 Kit - Silver Sands Metallic ( looks gold to me), with side pods, hard top and rear radiator wing
  • Ball Joint / IRS Buggy Pan
  • MMA Heavy Duty Floor Halves
  • CFAB 181 Front Beam and Brakes
  • MMA rear Disc Kit
  • Subaru Gears Reverse Ring and Pinion Set and 5 Speed Subaru Box.
  • Subaru EJ 22 Engine
  • Bruce Meyers Signature Wheels

So that is the plan. VWMA will be running a build story on it which is why I have posted it in Sneek Peek as I didn't want Manx Club Members to miss out on watching it evolve.

I guess the Build Officially started on 17 Jun 2011 when Ben picked up a Beetle for me that I found on Gumtree. The add was not very deatiled and said "Beetle rolling with wheels and gearbox ....maybe 76 - $250 FIRM" now a 76 would make it IRS and Ball Joint which is exactly what I wanted to start this build so I rang the number and spoke to a nice lady who didn't really know much about it. She did send me some pictures though so that was a good start.

As you can see from the pictures it was not a 76 ( no padded dash, no rear 1/4 vents, wrong front guards, wrong rear guards etc) so my heart sank a little as I had sort of convinced myself that it would be a 76 and mean I was getting IRS / Ball Joint from factory for $250 which would be sweet ...

But the above pictures didn't put me off as I could see it was a Ball Joint beetle which had the good 12V wiper motor .. then the third picture arrived which made me smile.

Can you guess why ?
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Making Sunshine - MMA Manxter No 1

Postby VWNuts » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:26 pm

It's a semi auto, so you got your Balljoint IRS :)
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:15 pm

VWNuts wrote:It's a semi auto, so you got your Balljoint IRS :)

Well spotted I was the same looking at the picture and going damn it ain't no 76 Boo Hoo ... then I see an Auto Pedal ... yippy I have BJ and IRS ... but Man I hate putting clutch tubes in ... Boo Hoo ..... then I realise that Meyers Manx Australia sells Hydraulic Clutch kits so no clutch tube for me yippy ....

Then I talk Ben into driving out to wooop wooop to pick it up for me Yippy (Thanks Ben) ....

It seems the pictures I got might have not been real current and there has been some flood water come through ...

Oh well I think this photo says it all "SUNSHINE IS BORN"

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Ok so with the bug bought it was time to sit back and wait for it to arrive. Luckily for me Ben's little CRV was able to make it all the way to my shed and deliver Sunshine nice and safe, I would hate for him to get dinted and knocked about.

Once we had him back on the ground we waved good bye to Ben and the CRV as he went off to enjoy the rest of their weekend, this was a good thing as it left time for Sunshine and I to get to know each other.

After chatting for a few hours Sunshine asked who else was hanging out in the yard, I explained that most of my VW collection had gone away but Billy Bob was still there and he had spent a lot of time playing with VW's. Wow, Sunshine was impressed and asked to meet Billy Bob. Who was I to turn down such a request?

So Billy Bod was fired up and the two met up. I don't think it was quiet what Sunshine had in mind but I explained it was for his own good and if Billy Bob didn't help him out with his cancer removal who would know what could happen.

Billy Bob Soon had the situation in hand.

Not long after they met for the first time Sunshine had most of his problem areas removed.

At first Sunshine was upset and began to cry, so I showed him some pictures of his new clothes and explained it wouldn’t be long now until he was all dressed and turning heads like never before.

He soon began to feel better, even more so after his slushy Semi Auto Box was removed to make space for a Subaru 5 Speed.

Now feeling all young and light again he asked if I could help him out with a bit of a clean as the muddy flood water had left their mark. Now I am not usually one to wash things according to my wife, but I did manage to find 1500 PSI and a steam cleaner which did the job just nice.

Once that was complete I had to head off and do some other stuff, Sunshine decided to laze about and catch some rays.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Well I had to goto the Post Office and send out an order so I thought I may as well send out some other stuff while I was there. Luckily I noticed the address had changed when I downloaded the new form so I made a few corrections to teh address.

On its way ...

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
finchy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby finchy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Rekon 'Sunshine' being ist one built Aus should have a big H.P. Air cooled Vw
dbryar
MCA Treasurer
MCA Treasurer

Postby dbryar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Where's the "Like" button?
Tratty
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Tratty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I agree Finchy but I also know it's not going to happen :D
finchy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby finchy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Tratty wrote:I agree Finchy but I also know it's not going to happen :D

Rekon we should all get together and push vw up brads b-t rather that subi up our's
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 pm

VW engines have no place in the back of Sunshine. Sunshine is going to be reliable, usable, economical and driveable without issue, that rules out a VW engine straight up, even more so a big one.

Had a call today the transmission should arrive in Brisbane tomorrow and then some more fun can be had as I fit up the CFAB Subaru Transmission Mount kit with a SubaruGears.com reverse 5 speed setup. Very keen to see all teh new mods Todd is doing.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Well when I started this project I wanted to make sure it was as reliable as possible and that meant when it came to the transmission department there was only one real option.

Todd from http://subarugears.com/ has put in a great deal of effort into doing what many people said wasn't possible or viable and made using a Subaru 5 Speed Transmission on a rear engined config not only possible but a reality.

So I sent an email to Todd and he was nice enough to send me up one of his new 5 Speed Box's all modified ready to go. As the concept is still pretty new there is no real bolt in options when it comes to mounting and linkages etc. Luckily for me I happen to know a guy who has one under development which should be ready for release next week. So Meyers Manx Australia will be selling CFAB Transmission Install Kits to suit the SubuarGears.com 5 speed transmission into a Type 1 Floor pan.

Pictures to follow needless to say it looks SWEET ...
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok so I get a call from Pete at Custom Vee Dub telling me a package has arrived .. I rush down after work and walla .. just like christmas.

Once home it is unwrapped it and admire the new mods Todd is doing to the box's

This is my favourite part .

And even though once mounted you will hardly see it ... it is always cool to know the end cap is much nicer then his fence post proto type.

Now I have it I will get the pan on the hoist and start to work out the mounting system.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
finchy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby finchy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Ok any progress on Sunshine
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Been a bit quiet as I have been flat finishing off two Meyers Manx Australia Custom Buggy Carrying Trailers. With some luck these will be finished this weekend and it will be full steam ahead on Sunshine. More so now that I should get Sunshine's Body next week.

On the approval front I have my letter and approval papers back from Queensland Transport all signed and approved. I have the 5 Speed sitting in the pan and have a few ideas on the best way to mount it. I will do a write up on mounting the 5 speed Sunday night after I have it finished. I have also finished writting Part one of the Build Article for VWMA ...
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 pm

man all my images have gone caput ,..... trying to fix now ...
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”