Brad's Iguana - Build on Hold !

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Brad's Iguana - Build on Hold !

Postby Brad » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:14 am

Ok I have been working on some big front brakes to suit my brake master cylinder and booster, yep I am running an under slung pedal assembly with booster. The fronts are a 2 Pot Liberty Calliper with AU Falcon rotor and custom 6 stud hubs and calliper mount. Th efront beam is a custom unit with hand made shock towers from a CAD that Wes did for me to optimise the BJ travel and allow fitment of some descent shock.

This shows the shock tower with arms and spindles sitting in place. I have been waiting for the hubs to be made so I could fit the wheels up for the first time. Happy to say they fit but I am going to have to have a play with offset.

Shock towers work well and allow me to have almost 12" of usable travel with the 181 BJ's.

The front wheel bolted on for the 1st time ever, nice to stand back and have a look at the wheel base and see it in proportion, sort of.

I couldn't wait any longer and had to sit the front clip on to see whats what. The above pictures shows it as ride height... there is about 3" of down travel from that position. I will take some measurements, but I am happy with where it sits.

Soon it wiil be on all 4 wheels and hopefully heading out of the corner to get the steering setup, front bar made and wheel base sorted.

Then only about another 12mths of work to get it over the pits and onto the road.
Last edited by Brad on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 am, edited 21 times in total.
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Building the dream - Brad's Iguana Build !!

Postby VWNuts » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:11 pm

Looking good....so have you decided on a paint scheme yet?
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Nope, it is going to be white or rattle can for rego. Might have to do a few body mods prior and after so will not be painting properly until after som road testing. Then I will pull it all down, bag it, paint it and rebuild it.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
OBU991
Buggy Addict

Postby OBU991 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm lovin it, know the effort it takes and then put on top of that building the body in the first place. congrats it is really starting to take shape.
Buggy Nut
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 am

OBU991 wrote:I'm lovin it, know the effort it takes and then put on top of that building the body in the first place. congrats it is really starting to take shape.

Cheers, yeah I have close to buring it more than once.

Luckily I need a back seat and a good quality buggy as I have some valuable cargo to carry..

manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:42 pm

buggy build supervisor!!
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 pm

I have been asked how you make a Buggy Body... well lots and lots of timber, duct tape, bog and head scratching.

And some very good mates

And some foam .. should have been more but we were running out ..

And a lot of Clay ... all up we used over 500kg of the stuff. The lady in teh craft shop did me a good deal as it came in 10kg bags.

Them some very Hot Mixed Glass.

Walla ...

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:04 am

Ok so the build continues. I have set myself a deadlin of before 1 jan 2010 on the road, oh well at least ready to go on the road. Being an ICV the process can sometimes drag on some what so this would be beyond my control. Either way I have to get my ass into gear and start building.

The one piece Billet Hubs are now made and on. these let me run Landcruiser mags and 2 pot liberty callipers. I have designed the brakes to use a booster M/C and 4 wheel discs.

The fromt end has also been built. I have had Rack and Pinion fitted and using Wes's design and Dave's skills we have managed to obtain next to no bump steer through 195mm of travel. This was measured with an old school snap-on optical alignment tool. I bought this to do all 4 wheels and build this steering setup as I wanted to be sure that it was done correctly.

The alignment jig goes onto teh wheel clamps and allows easy alignment. It also has a rear bracket so that you can do 4 wheel alignments. Wheel Alignments are something that never seems to get done correctly on a VW unless it is done by a VW person.

One the front end was done, I was able to sit it on its wheels for the 1st time in over 3 years.. yep the Iguana now rolls and steers under its own technology. No more trolly jacks and Texcats needed to move it around.

Last edited by Brad on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:07 am

Now it is on wheels I was able to get an accuarte measurement of ride height. To give you a guide it is 500mm under the front beam at ride height. From here it can go up another 75mm before the front end is at full droop. The rear sits level with this and has 100mm of down travel. The custom 930 CV's and longer axles allow this to happen.

As a reult my wife has to use a Milk Crate to get in and out....

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 am

Now the Iguana is on wheels I have turned my attention to lay out and fittout of the inside and getting everything to work as it should. I ended up getting some new seats as they looked much more "Iguana" like than the Alfa ones I had. So the Alfa moved into the L Bug and the Honda Seats went into the Iguana.

So now seats are roughed in I need to sort steering, pedals, dash, guages etc.

I have started collecting my toys.

I have decided to fit air con and heating to it. Now being me and not really knowing when enough is enough I have fitted a complete unit from an MX 5 including dash controls and direction flaps.

Had to make a few body mods to get it in, but heck it is only fibreglass. Will get some pics up soon of the unit itself.

To make it fit I had to modify the VW wiper motor, luckily enough it was simply a case of spinning the motor around one hole and bolting it back up.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:13 am

Not a great picture but here are the seat.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:16 am

So whats next ?? mm I will mount the steering and my over slung pedal assemblies, brake booster, master cylinder, clutch cylinder and fab some brackets to support it all. I am pretty keen on getting the inside stuff sorted so I pull the seats out and stop them getting damaged and then build the dash around teh ducts, controls and other stuff i have in there. Also need to sort the rear seat and setup the radiator/ front bar.

I have a few ideas but they all suck so far ...

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Ok teh dash blower a/c unit and heater is an all in one unit from a NC MX5 which is about a 2000 model. It was chosen as I had access to one and unlike the NA model it has the engine further back meaning the a/c unit needed to sit on one side of the car and not right across the front like most a/c units.

It required a few small mods but in the end it fited well and allows me to seal it on the front wall and feed the heater and a/c lines in from outside the tub. These will then run down the tunnel to the rear of the car.

It has electroc servo's which suits my application much better than the old cable control units a lot of earlier modesl had. Lastly from what I have been told most NC's had a/c making them readily availible.

Only a small cut was needed in the front wall. Thsi will be neatend and then a cover made to seal it. Due to the design of the Iguana the dash is sealed from the outside unlike a Manx where it gets cover from the bonnet and tank. I did this so that with the bonnet tilted fwd, 6 bolts lets you take the windscreen and cover of and access to the dash is easy. This will also allow me to build the dash from the top down instead of bottom up like a Manx, much easier to get to things and I can use al teh space and not worry about access.

Due to placemnet I am going to use the fresh air and recirc functions of the unit as well. You can also see the over slung pedals. I have kept the VW ones in as well to use for positioning. Once happy I will remove these and weld up the holes.

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Here is a better picture of the front seats, I am still deciding what to do with the rear seats.. time will tell.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Well it has been a while since an update but things are still moving.

Rear arms are back apart as I want to change the camber to better suit my needs.

Also been through a few different shock ideas and ended up making the call to go Coil Over all round.

Had a pretty good idea of front wheel weight so have coild to suit them, will decide on rear coils once I have it togeather and can get a rear wheel weight.

Went with Hydraulic Bump stops as well cause I am only building this thing once.

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”