syncro converting to all subi running gear

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

ernie norley

syncro converting to all subi running gear

Postby ernie norley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Gday all. Big day today started conversion on syncro setting it up to run ej20 & reverse subi box & diff we have the front diff sorted out should be mounted tomorrow. the dummy engine & box are in situ the mounts will be pretty straight forward. will start to post pics if anyone is interested in them.
Ernie
Last edited by ernie norley on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mackaymanx

Re: syncro

Postby mackaymanx » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Because the output to the front diff is high on the gearbox did you section the crossmember to get clearance?
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Gday Mackaymanx. No looking at it for an hour or so moving motor up down in out it looks like we wi have about 2 cms clearance we have a syncro already fitted with an ej20 so we are setting motor to its height & it seems to give that much. the front diff we turned upside down & turned rear cover over so drain plugs are at bottom. What Iam looking for if anyone has an idea is some form of dog box 1 to 1 to use in tailshaft as a decoupler type setup.
Ernie
ttriebler
Manx Jnr

Postby ttriebler » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey Ernie the really early Subie boxes (EA I think) had selectable 4wd in the center diff housing.
It may be possible to adapt that setup to the Syncro project...but I don't know why anyone would do it.

Millions of Subarus around the world with constant all wheel drive - they seem to get good fuel economy and go forever with their stock setup. I reckon the decoupler is old skool technology that has little merit in a modern drivetrain.
Reversed gears for Subaru Transmissions
Fit a 5 apeed to your rear engined car
www.subarugears.com
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 am

Gday All thats what Iam trying to covince the owner of. he had a decoupler fitted to sncro box & believes he needs it on subi. I just have to sort out fitting it after that he can do what pleases him. but I think once he drives it he will change hie mind
Ernie

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”