Alyce the Baja

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Alyce the Baja

Postby Vduboy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:19 pm

bugman wrote:Another idea i had was to make up some brush bars from the front bumper to the side steps :?: could look cool and would prevent broken gaurds :lol:

Funny that! I had the same idea following a cruiser home the other day, might cover the extra tyres width when I get my thing front end!
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
bugman

Postby bugman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Vduboy wrote:
bugman wrote:Another idea i had was to make up some brush bars from the front bumper to the side steps :?: could look cool and would prevent broken gaurds :lol:

Funny that! I had the same idea following a cruiser home the other day, might cover the extra tyres width when I get my thing front end!

Great minds must think a like! Lol :lol:

Is there an easy way to get a long bend that follows the edge of the guard?
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 am

My Grandfather used to bend pipes without a tube bender out in the bush by filling the tube with sand, then heating the tube up with an oxy torch.
Rowley

Postby Rowley » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:18 am

Hey smiley
Love watching your progress
I'm investigating some tube bending at the moment for Manx bar work and engine tubes.
Have been looking into "tubeworks" a company located in north Brisbane.
Mega style bending company.

They have a 3 d scanner and a kickarse machine that does what the scanner tells it.
So with warm pvc, I'm thinking follow my shape and get them to reproduce it in steel or Aliuminium. Haven't tried or priced it yet. But am about to.

They reckon it's very accurate too. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of bending ?

Seems they make a lot of handy quality parts for a buggy build. Custom made or reproduced cables and lines flared etc

Maybe someone could google them and put up a link.
Pls n Ta.
Rowley

Postby Rowley » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Tubeworx
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 am

I have gotten a little bit more done on the car in the last week or so.

Added these gusset plates between the lift kit and the beam support tubes. Then added the front brake line tubes on top of that and bent and fitted up the last of the front brake lines.

After that I dropped the body back on and found that I had some clearance issues. I had the fuel filter bolted to the air bag frame with a right angle bracket (You can see the holes). This was contacting the body in the position shown in the picture. So I had to move it. You can also see the air line in this shot for my air bag. Fill point will be a schrader valve under the backseat that I can easily top off with my compressor.

So I swapped the fittings around and swapped it to the other side. I also had some concerns with the trailing arm hitting the drain valve it the previous position on full compression. The new spot fixes all of this. I welded up the holes in the frame and welded a new bracket to the top of it too.

While I was at the back I had a few more things to work on too. I added a small bracket in the centre of the frame to mount my fuel changeover solenoid to.

Next I cut up a piece of angle that ties into some bolts on the side of the gearbox for the clutch line mount. First I made it fit and then cut it to the height I needed and welded the bracket on top.

Trimmed the handle to length. Still might need some more, I will use it first then decide.

Got my old front bar to fit with a couple of small mods. This is just temporary, I am planning to make a new one later that fits better with the bodylift and has mounts for a winch.

Put the axles together with the Porsche CVs. Thanks again Rich, I can't get over the quality of these things! The cages are incredibly thick! Only one of the CVs had a little bit of galling on the star and that's it. And I installed it so it wasn't the load bearing side when driving forward. Will certainly have to chase down some more for spares when I get spare time.
The angle was a little more extreme than I was expecting, nudging 25-26° at full droop. But I clocked them when assembling and the wheels spin freely so will run them and see. I think that they should be fine, I was running 20° with the old CVs so these good Porsche ones should handle it ok. The extra angle has developed from having to move the trans rearward and up slightly to get it all fitting nicely. I think it should all work quite nicely if I ever get 3x3s or the like under the back of this thing.

Finished welding out the tank frame.

After lifting the body onto the pan all by myself, it was time to put some sealer between it and the pan and get them glued together. This is where I ran into a few dramas with bolts not fitting/lining up etc. So I ended up lifting the body back off the pan. It was parked under the mezz floor in my shed so I just ran some straps up to that and hoisted it clear. Then I die ground the offending holes into submission before redoing the sealer and lowering the body back down into place. Both times I used long M8 bolts with the heads cut off as guides studs to lowert the body into position. After many hours of stuffing around and setbacks I tightened the last bolt and the body was mounted.

Once this was done I dropped the engine in it too, and ran into more problems. Seems that the engine mounts I have chosen are too soft and the way they are mounted exacerbates this condition. With one finger I can rock the engine back and forward about 100mm. I am going to add a rear engine support bar like a bus has with 2 more mounts on it. I am also going to mount them sideways which gives them a better load holding ability. It this doesn't work I will have to go back to square one and come up with something better for the drivetrain mounts.
The rear barwork was also bolted into place. I had to move it back close to 75mm to get it to clear the engine now that it is further back because of the way the gearbox is mounted. The plan is to redo the rear barwork also, but I am going to wait until after my engine change and make it to suit.

I enlisted my girlfriend as slave labour to help with bleeding the brakes. That was a bit of a mission in itself. But we ended up getting them to bleed up nicely after raising the back of the car to get air out etc.. I could work out why we weren't getting good pedal even though there was no air coming out of the system. So I said let me had a feel of it and jumped in to try the pedal, I instantly noticed that half the pedal travel was free play as I hadn't set the pushrod on the brake pedal. Adjusted that up and it is very good now, not as good as it was in the past but I am blaming the cutting brakes for that, I might give it another bleed once I drive it a little.

I bolted the seats in and the shifter. it changes gear nicely and I really like the long shifter, I think I'm keeping it. Sitting in the car just feels right :)
The drivers position is good, the seat height is god, the shift is good. I think I might have fluked it and got some stuff right :D It's nice to know I am slowly dragging myself closer to be able to drive this thing after 2 and a half years downtime.

This is how she sits presently. The front is on the stops and needs to get loaded up so it will come down, and the back is way too low. I think I got the torsion bar settings very wrong and they will need to be reset. the rear tanks, spare tyre etc still need to go on so it will drop plenty more. I also need 33s on the back too.
Oh, and I fitted the side windows too.

Thanks for reading.

Smiley :)
If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Looks good mate, so when's Alyce hitting the Cape :D
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:35 pm

josh702 wrote:Looks good mate, so when's Alyce hitting the Cape :D

I have been invited to 2 different trips next year.

Not sure mine will handle water as well as Dave's though...

bugman

Postby bugman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Awesome work as always, what are your plans for paint?
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Won't handle the water?? It's too tall to bloody see any! Hahaha looking fantastic mate. Bet you are hanging to get some seat time in it again, love the long shifter too!
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:25 am

bugman wrote:Awesome work as always, what are your plans for paint?

Going to strip it all back down for paint. Planning to powdercoat anything that unbolts, and raptor coat the floorpan.
The plan is to drive it for a bit first and fix any issues I have. That way if I have to cut or change things I'm not potentially damaging a new paint job, hence the break in period. There are a lot of things on the car that I will have to just wait and see to know if they work. Like the gearbox, as far as I have been able to find no one has ever put one of these 5 speeds in a full bodied bug before. And while it shifts quite nicely sitting on a pan, I have no idea how it will be until I drive it. Same with the rack and pinion, hanging pedal etc etc.

Vduboy wrote:Won't handle the water?? It's too tall to bloody see any!quote]

Hahaha. Yeah, but it's not THAT much bigger than Dave's. And I don't think a few inches will make much difference in waist deep watercrossings.

Vduboy wrote:Bet you are hanging to get some seat time in it again, love the long shifter too!

Yeah. Very much looking forward to it. The long shifter is cool, but I will also have to wait and see if it works. And trying to decided between putting the 5 speed gearstick knob on it or something else like a blue pool ball.

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Hey Smiley, be thinkin it's about time for an update on your progress on Alyce ....been getting much time on her? Pud
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm

PUD wrote:Hey Smiley, be thinkin it's about time for an update on your progress on Alyce ....been getting much time on her? Pud

None at all in fact. Have just been on a bit of a drive to Victoria and back for a few weeks.

But I did manage to pick up some big wheels and tyres, flares, adjusters and a few other goodies for my bus....

More soon hopefully.

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 am

Hey Smiley, been reading your awesome workshop 'how to' manual on Alyce again & wondering if I can pick your brain on the CB spindle fit-up on about page 10..
Your comment on my thread about getting ol' chubby up in the air a bit has prompted me to pull my finger out & do something about it, as I've had the gear to do it for quite some time but have been a bit slack on the fit-up :oops:...for the short term have decided to leave the existing beam in (because of the radiator mounts/ tow points/ bracing etc)....so, the questions are.....by the looks of it you used the beetle arms?? Do you know if they're identical dimensions to the CB arms & the kingpins the same size & shock mounts in the same position on the arm??... & the tie rods, I have the CB steering arms as well as the beetle ones, is the thread the same size to use a miss-match of tie rod ends in the same tube? i.e. the smaller beetle one on the steering box end & the CB larger balljoint one on the outer end in the same tube? & would the tubes be the same length??...have also got the long grease cap issue to sort yet too, cant copy your solution as I'm running a bearing sleeve to get the offsets required & bearing sizes sorted etc & the grease cap will need to fit over the sleeve.
Am trying to get all the ducks in a row with all the issues so can have an easy straight forward swapout, any comments would be great :) Pud

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”