Alyce the Baja

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Alyce the Baja

Postby Smiley » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:13 am

mattie182 wrote:When you hook the airbags up; join the two of them together,
That way when one compresses, it'll force the other to extend.....

I think my body roll is bad enough already!

That would be good for an offroad option.

Smiley :)
If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
mattie182

Postby mattie182 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Yeh, I meant for off-roading.....
Better chance of keeping wheels on the ground......
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 pm

While I had the body sitting on the pan I decided to cut the rear shelf out for my rear tank. I'm going to recess it down this time. So it will be much the same as the front tank. With a large hole that the tank fills and seals.

For those of you that don't know I was running a Bay Kombi tank in the rear as my main tank and using the stock front tank as a secondary. It sat in this frame here and there was a little hole cut in the rear floor for the outlet on the tank.

First thing was drill out the spot welds and remore the front lip. And just when you think you have gotten all the rust :(

And then cut a big hole for the tank!

Tried the tank in the whole but it wasn't quite sitting down all the way on one side.

One big concern that I had was clearance to the airbag frame and to the starter motor. But I'm happy to report that there is heaps of room to both of them.

Turns out the tank was hitting on one of the shock lumpy bits on the LHS. So I enlarged the hole in it a little and the tank fits down perfectly now!

Then I went back inside and took the edges of the hole all the way to the wheel wells so I can start on a frame for the tank.

Now that that was all sorted the body came back off and out of the way. I can do the tank mount with the body off, now that I know it will clear everything.

I welded some extra strengthening plates onto my bag mount.
First was this little tab. Which picks up one of the holes cast into the shock tower. Perfect size for an M12 bolt :)

Next up I added this angle which ties in to the upper shock mount. These were all welded out once I got them fitting nicely. But it seems I didn't get a picture. Perhaps tomorrow.

Last thing for today was strip the box, rear arms and everything off the pan. Gave it a good sweep down and flipped it. Ready for tomorrow which involves all these pretty pieces :)

Thanks for reading.

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:12 pm

mattie182 wrote:Yeh, I meant for off-roading.....
Better chance of keeping wheels on the ground......

Maybe I could have a switch or something to join them together....

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:30 am

Thanks for taking the time to post your progress Smiley, great to see you back into it! Pud
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:39 pm

PUD wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post your progress Smiley, great to see you back into it! Pud

Anytime man. I'm glad to be back problem solving :twisted:

I decided that I would need to sort my shift linkage out before running any of the stuff in the tunnel. It is one thing that will need to be in there so I don't run hoses through where it is going to be. I will also need to fit the pedals too and make sure everything clears them in the tunnel as well.

So flip the pan back over and refit the box. Then cut a hole in the lift for the shift linkage.

Ran into a bit of clearance issue on the top of the framehorn. Had to do a small amount of 'reshaping'.

After that it all hooked up as planned and I fitted a gearstick and 'seat' so I could try it out. For those that haven't read the older posts on here, the shift linkage is part VW and part Holden Commodore steering linkage. The shift rod is slightly shorted than stock and has the spline off the top of the Holden steering rack welded into it. The Holden steering shaft clamps tightly onto the Weddle linkage and then slides over the splined end on the shift rod. Happy to report that I can get all the gears pretty easily. Reverse takes a tiny bit of extra wiggling but I haven't adjusted anything yet. Also there is no shift rod bushing fitted in the front mount behind the gearstick. Plus nothing is lubricated either.

Still a little bit of clearancing to do around the hole. I also have to enlarge it enough for the uni joints on the shaft to fit through.

Thanks for looking.

bugman

Postby bugman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks for the updates smiley! Have always enjoyed reading your build, quite a few interesting mods! Cant wait to see it finished (cant wait to see mine finished either lol haha)
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Made up a spacer for the Kombi shifter out of 8mm plate. Fits nicely now and shifts quite good for having no front shifter bushing in. I was thinking of trimming the bus shifter down, but now it has grown on me. I put both the seats in with a passenger and tested how the gearstick cleared everything with both seats forward and backward in different spots and two people sitting on them. Happy to say it clears everything very nicely. And I like the height. So I might stick with it yet.

I purchased a heap of stauff clamps for everything that is going in the tunnel. You can remove the think upper plate and bolt and replace them with an allen socket bolt which is countersunk into the plastic. Saves space inside the tunnel (which is at a premium these days!!) and saves some weight too. Because I am not using the clamps for high pressure hydraulic lines the single bolt will be quite adequate.

T3 pedal assembly was robbed of its clutch master cylinder to use in the car. I figured this would be the simplest and easiest way to go as it matches the slave cylinder on the box and the bits are all from the same car. Bored a hole in the lift kit where the brake M/C was originally mounted. Then made up a mount out of some angle and tacked it in place so I could work the pedal side of things out.

Then the brake m/c was moved over to give sufficient room. More holes drilled.

I added a new pivot to the brake pedal that I stole off another set. You can see the stock one is still on the left side of the pedal. This one will be cut off and moved over to the clutch pedal for the clutch M/C. Fitted the pin and pedal travel is exactly as it should be.

Dropped the body on to check a few things. Fitted the seat in the car for the first time. Happy to say that the height is absolutely perfect for me. It is exactly where I want it. Pedals feel good underfoot too.

The seat has plenty of room to the door too which is good.

Need to work out where I am going to fit the fill reservoir. Probably somewhere under the bonnet that will go down to both the M/Cs.

Last thing I started thinking about/playing around with is fitting a hanging accelerator pedal. Here is one I had lying about from a Commodore. Jury is still out at the moment. I think it won't take much to fit up and connect. I just like the idea of less stuff on the floor and not having the pedal hinge seize up/fill up with sand and crap etc.

Thanks for looking

BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 pm

Holy crap Smiley that is awesome. Makes my rebuild look easy..... :mrgreen:
Mackaybaja

Postby Mackaybaja » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:55 am

Smiley that is going to be one hell of a Baja and i love the air bag set up keep up great work mate. 8)
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:24 am

BBTJ wrote:Holy crap Smiley that is awesome. Makes my rebuild look easy..... :mrgreen:

Mackaybaja wrote:Smiley that is going to be one hell of a Baja and i love the air bag set up keep up great work mate. 8)

Thanks for the kind words guys :D

Got a little bit done in the last few days.

Got to work mounting up the dual handle cutting brakes. I cut the front of the mount frame off and left it bolded to the arm pivot. And then put everything in place on the pan so I could work out how it's going to fit.

Made up some mounting plates for the cylinders which will be welded o the tunnel.

Next up I dug out the handbrake that I will be using to check clearances. Going to be tight. I had to move the cutting handles forward a touch on the tunnel and notch the underside of the handbrake out a bit. But it all fits and the handbrake works like normal. You can see I will have to trim the handles back a little as the left side one doesn't clear the gearstick anymore with them moved forward on the tunnel.

And here is everything in place and welded up. I made some extended pushrods by welding a pair of nuts onto the head of some bolts I got to suit the length. The fit is all very good and All the handles work as they should. I'm thinking I might cut the handbrake length down a bit to give more room to grab the ends of the cutting handles.

Next up flip the pan over again so we can finally get onto mounting the stuff in the tunnel.

I started from the back and worked forward. Welding in the stauff clamps for the aircon lines first up.

Once we got up under the pedals I cleaned everything up and added a few strengthening plates across the seam where I welded the framehead on. Should be super strong now! Then the lines could be looped around the pedals. I cut the hook off the clutch pedal to give some more room, and stop it rubbing on the hoses.

I also added a doubler plate on the framehead where the bulkhead fittings are coming through.

Then I welded the plates to the other side of the tunnel for the oil hoses. And the smaller ones below this for the fuel hardline.

I ordered some sexy AN fittings for the fuel hardlines. I drilled the lift kit at the back for the bulkheads. Sorry about the shoddy picture, the pan was still upside down. You can still get an idea of where they exit out the back.

Last thing I got down was to drill holes along the tunnel and weld nuts onto the inside. These are for the clamps that will hold my brake and clutch hardlines in place. The brake is on the right of the tunnel and the clutch down the left. You can see the spots along the tunnel where I buffed the paint off. I need to get some shorter bolts though, cause the ones I have stick into the tunnel too far where some of the hoses are going to be.
I also discover that my floorpan can stand up all by itself, even with the gearbox bolted into it :D

Things are getting a little busy up the back here. I still have to add a new accelerator cable tube too. But I am confident that everything will fit! I still need to work out some way of sealing the shift linkage to the floorpan where it comes through the lift. Does anyone have any good ideas for this??

Lastly, I bought a new second battery for the car. This one will be dedicated to running the fridge and camp lights. Whereas the other will be for most everything else.

Still a few things I need to do in the tunnel before I paint it up and weld it shut again. Mostly fitting the front bulkheads fittings and making up the oil hoses and fuel lines. And adding the new accelerator tube. In addition to this I have picked up my rear guards which have been repaired, as well as the engine scoop. The front guards that I had widened turned out to be rubbish So I have taken another set to a different guy that has been doing my glasswork and he is widening them for me again.

Still heaps to do but things are falling into place slowly.
Thanks for looking.

josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Those weld in hose clamps make for a really neat install, are they like mining spec?
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:37 am

josh702 wrote:Those weld in hose clamps make for a really neat install, are they like mining spec?

Yeah. They are called Stauff Clamps. I first encountered them when I was working at the CAT dealer in Rocky. They are used in a lot of industrial and mining applications. We mostly used them on dozers, dump trucks and graders for hydraulic tubes and hoses. They are great for noise and vibration reduction. And I figured they would be prefect for in the tunnel.

VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Did you fit dzus fastners to hold the body on??

That way when you roll over again you can do a quick body change.....

Hehehe
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:55 pm

I was thinking Smiley, can you make the piece underneath all your hoses etc in the tunnel bolt on? That way if you ever have a blow out or what not you don't have to cut it open again... not that you are not an expert on the inside of vw tunnels by now..!
Or would you loose too much strength?
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”