Alyce the Baja

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

josh702
Manx Jnr

Re: Alyce the Baja

Postby josh702 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Smiley wrote:I have a bit of a tech query for any Mk I Golf experts out there.

That rack I am fitting to the Baja is out of a Mk I Golf and I am wondering if there is meant to be anything else holding the rack ends onto the shaft. It's a fine thread and does up tight. Is this all that is done to fit them on or is there a narrow lock nut that goes on the end?

If anyone that has an early Golf knows can you let me know?

Smiley :)

If you can wait until Monday, I know of 2 MK1 golfs sitting around I can take pic's of.
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 pm

josh702 wrote:
Smiley wrote:I have a bit of a tech query for any Mk I Golf experts out there.

That rack I am fitting to the Baja is out of a Mk I Golf and I am wondering if there is meant to be anything else holding the rack ends onto the shaft. It's a fine thread and does up tight. Is this all that is done to fit them on or is there a narrow lock nut that goes on the end?

If anyone that has an early Golf knows can you let me know?

If you can wait until Monday, I know of 2 MK1 golfs sitting around I can take pic's of.

Thanks mate. But my question has already been answered here

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/view ... tid=106979

Though if the little lock nuts off these racks you speak of are available for purchase I would be very interested :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:35 pm

If you can tell me the thread size and pitch I can have a looksie at work, have a whole box full of weird nuts..
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Vduboy wrote:If you can tell me the thread size and pitch I can have a looksie at work, have a whole box full of weird nuts..

Hey man. I haven't had a chance to measure them yet. Will let you know if I can't find anything at the local bolt supplier, thanks for the offer :D

Look what I picked up this week. I had always planned to bag the back of the car later done the track. But these came up at a great price so I couldn't pas them up. And I figure that it'll be easier to fit and plumb them now anyway with the rest of the build.

Full droop.

Full bump.

Will keep you posted :D

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Very cool, they look like the bags under the bike hoists at work. Should work well!
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:14 pm

It has been a while. Time for an update, even if it is a small one.

I purchased a dual handle cutting brake. I'm planning to mount the cylinders behind the handbrake and the pivots for the handles directly in front of the handbrake. Then I have to extend the rods only a small amount and they should fit either side of the stock handbrake mount.

Next up I did some work making rack mounts on top of my framehead. I made two clamps that go over the thinnest section of the rack. And then added some flat on the outer sides which extends out to the larger sections to stop the rack sliding side to side in the mount. Then I joined both the sides with a piece of flat across the top.

I also had to make some locknuts for the rack ends by buying the correct thread size of nut and then cutting a piece off.

Then I made another strap to go around one of the stock mounts over the 'gearbox' on the rack.

When I had the body on I measured up and worked out what size of gusset I needed to add to the shock towers. I ended up cooking the bearings while welding things out. But that's ok because I bought new ones. I just slide hammered the old ones out with a cut down washer.

Next port of call was to flip the pan and cut the bottom off the tunnel. I removed the clutch tube as I am going hydraulic. I also ended up removing the accelerator cable tube too as I will replace it.

Ok. Time for something more constructive. Time to fit the lift kit to the pan!

I also drilled the holes in the rear of the lift kit. This is where my aircon hoses and oil cooler lines will come out the back.

Pan all prepped ready for the lift kit.

I took the lift kit and had it sandblasted. Way quicker than trying the clean it up with a grinder. Then I painted it all up with weld through primer.

Fitted it in place. Made sure it was all centred and the welded it out.

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Next up was seats and seat belt mounts.
I am fitting retracting seatbelts to the car. Where I have put the mounts they tuck inside the C of the lift kit out of the way.

And then onto seat frames. I built square frames with crush tubes for the mount bolts and then welded the mounting nuts to the underside.

And then I built a jig frame to mount the seats at the correct height and angle I wanted. Cause I have an 80mm lift I needed to raise the seats by at least the same amount. I raised the front a little more than the rear too, to get a little more angle back in the seat. Helps stop you sliding off the front in steed hill decents.

These are the outer mounting plates welded into place on the lift kit. The nuts on the back are also welded to aid in assembly.

And there are the ones on the tunnel. The plates have a thread tapped into them But it's only 6mm thick, so I will weld nuts on the inside of the tunnel too, next time it is turned over.

Then you just have to sit the seat frame in place, measure a million things to work out where you want it. And then make 4 legs to mate it to the mounting plates.

Then your seats mount up like so! Of course One had to sit in it and make brrmm brrmmm noises. I also fitted up a gearstick to see what it is like (Bus one)

I am very happy with how they have turned out. Plenty of room underneath. I'm planning to fit sliding drawers underneath to store parts/tools/gear in. They are actually high enough to fit a 20L jerry can under! Not that I plan on carrying additional fuel in such a manner, but it is cool anyway :)

Alright! Next up is mounting the 5 speed and airbags.

First was the front gearbox mount. I got some longer case bolts and stainless crush tube and started fabbing.

Front mount done! Might be a few more strengthening plates to add but it fits and works well.

Rear mounts were made using some of my old stuff and some new stuff. I have still got to add a bit of angle to make them double shear. Notice I am using the same mount all the way around. That way I only have to carry one spare. I am also going to fit them either side on my engine cradle too. And the 5 speed fits where it was never meant to go!

Bags next. I made clamps to fit them to the trailing arms.

One little snag I ran into was where to run my handbrake cables. Previously I had them run over the top of the trailing arm unlike stock where they are run under. I found that at full droop the trailing arm was pulling on the cable and jagging the brakes a little bit. But I can't run them over the top now cause the bag mount is in the way. How's that old bear hunt saying go? Can't go over them, can't go under them, will have to go through them!! So I drilled a few holes and ran some stout 3mm wall crush tubing through the trailing arms as a new home for the handbrake cables.

Time to throw the body on and make the upper airbag frame.

Also through a wheel on and checked out full compression. As the pan is sitting now is where I plan to have ride height. She's going to be big! Also, plenty of room for 33s now :wink:

That's all for now people. But I will try and keep the progress moving.
Thanks for reading.

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:05 am

Wow looks like you are moving forward, I have to ask though how high are those seats when you have the body on ?

Also why did you chop the tunnel bottom off before welding lift kit etc on ? Are you worried about it warping and twisting ? With that said why did you cut the tunnel base off ?

I have seen a few guys do it and then make a one piece floor pan, is that your intent ?

Regardless great build and thanks for taking the time to share it with us, I know a lot of people don't bother.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 am

Brad wrote:Wow looks like you are moving forward, I have to ask though how high are those seats when you have the body on ?

Perfect :)

Brad wrote:Also why did you chop the tunnel bottom off before welding lift kit etc on ? Are you worried about it warping and twisting ? With that said why did you cut the tunnel base off ?

I have seen a few guys do it and then make a one piece floor pan, is that your intent ?

It was a few months back so I'm not entirely certain why I did it before hand. I'm running my aircon, oil cooler lines and new fuel feed and return hardlines through the tunnel with Stauff clamps. So the bottom is off so that I can fit all of that in there. I worked out the routing before I welded the lift kit on so I could work out where they are going to come out at the back before I welded it down. So if I had to enlarge the 'shift linkage hole' to make it fit through I could without the lift kit in the way.

Not planning to make it a once piece floor, But it will have a checkerplate sheet welded over it with the flat side down. I also had a few large dents in the underside of the tunnel plate. It doesn't hold up to hits as well as the floorhalves :roll:

BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Wow! that is a lot of work in one day :D

Thanks for sharing Smiley, always love your work and ingenuity.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm so stoked your back into this! It's one of my favourite builds to read! Love your fab skills and solutions for problems when the arise, the hand brake cable solution is very neat. Are the bags just supplementary? Or are you ditching the torsions also? And what is the 5 speed out of? Awesome work as always! :D
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Vduboy wrote:I'm so stoked your back into this! It's one of my favourite builds to read! Love your fab skills and solutions for problems when the arise, the hand brake cable solution is very neat. Are the bags just supplementary? Or are you ditching the torsions also? And what is the 5 speed out of? Awesome work as always! :D

Yeah. The bags are just to take the extra mass when the car is loaded. Rear tank full, fridge, food, water, camping gear. It all adds up.

The 5 speed is out of an '86 model T3 Van.

manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:57 am

good to see some progress mate, been a long time in the making....was about to start calling you westwood :lol:
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:08 pm

manxiberty wrote:good to see some progress mate, been a long time in the making....was about to start calling you westwood :lol:

Would have to wait another 8 years or so first! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mattie182

Postby mattie182 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 pm

When you hook the airbags up; join the two of them together,
That way when one compresses, it'll force the other to extend.....

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”