Alyce the Baja

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Alyce the Baja

Postby Brad » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:25 pm

bajabone wrote:
Brad wrote:
Did you give any thought to adding water lines to your tunnel so when your VW engine can't push it down the road the Subaru Upgrade is easier to carry out.
Brad your wasting your breath. I've tried and tried but he is a stubborn young fella !!

With that much weight he isn't going to have much option if he wants to actually use it. More so once he sees first hand what an Air Con Compressor does to his idle speed and horsepower :D
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Brad wrote:Wow I guess at least when you are done and roll it this time your scrap weigh will be more than your Commodore :shock: :shock: Damn that's a lot of steel.

Dude while I appreciate feedback, please try and keep it positive.
It is not a lot of steel at all. I have weighed it and it's about 45kg. Once you take off the 15kg or so that was the old sides of the floorpan I'm only adding 30kg. That's not even a full tank of fuel, and it's right down low, which from my experience is where I need it :oops: :oops:

Brad wrote:With your frame head the bolts don't have an effect of where it sits as they don't touch anything BUT I would consider drilling your angle irn and putting long bolts all the way though and add a nyloc nut as such. This allows you to do away with the locking tab and know they are done up tight.

Add some pivot bolts locks on as well while your there :D

Thanks for the tip. And the pivot locks are on my to do list already. Don't want them backing out halfway up the Cape or anything :wink:

Brad wrote:If you want to blow out with the compressor I would consider adding an air tank out of a truck system of similar. Then add a pressure switch to it and keep it charged. Make getting air out much easier.

I hadn't thought of that. It has a little tank but that's basically only good for running lockers. Might have to leave this go until I airbag the back and fit a tank for them. Shouldn't get too dirty inside anyway, it's got a roof.

Brad wrote:
bajabone wrote:
Brad wrote:
Did you give any thought to adding water lines to your tunnel so when your VW engine can't push it down the road the Subaru Upgrade is easier to carry out.
Brad your wasting your breath. I've tried and tried but he is a stubborn young fella !!

With that much weight he isn't going to have much option if he wants to actually use it. More so once he sees first hand what an Air Con Compressor does to his idle speed and horsepower :D

Pretty sure stock 2L Kombis had aircon and it doesn't bother the idle on them. And that's with old school 1970s compressors. I'm planning on fitting a far more modern compressor so the load on my engine shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for reading and the feedback.

Smiley :)
If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Small update for today. I spent most of the day at a Camping, Offroading, Caravan etc expo so didn't get much done on the car except some figuring out.

Sat the body on the pan, and I have to say I'm super happy with how it looks. The front shock towers clear with about 30mm to spare which is nice.

And there's heap of room under the rear for the 5 speed.

I put the starter on and measure the clearance to the rear floor. I'm considering recessing the rear tank and dropping it down and it looks like I will have enough room to do it. This will give me more room in the back of the car for camping gear etc and help lower my centre of gravity down a bit too.

Next thing was to set the rack in place and measure what angle I need to lay the shaft back at to meet the steering column. I also dropped the front tank in to check the clearance and there is plenty.
Might use a it more to hold the rack in than magnets though.

That's all for today people. we lifted the body back off and I'm hoping to get stuck into the rack conversion tomorrow.

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Nice work as always mate, try and get the straightest run possible you can with the steering universals, mine has the slightest bit of uni notch (that you feel through the wheel) that i cant seem to get rid of. Good to see you back into it!
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:59 am

I tried to quote but it was to many deep.

Firstly I apologize if you took what I said to heart I meant nothing personally by it and maybe I should have worded it a bit different, but I thought it was you that a few posts back said you had walked on this project in favor of a commodore ?, luckily Andrew takes your comments about his Tow'd better than you take mine, I will ensure it doesn't happen again in your thread.

I was unfortunate once to build a fat heavy buggy which would have weighed less than what I think yours is going to weigh and I was both amazed and disappointed with the way it performed on the sand. Sure it still drove but it was CRAP compared with all the other buggies we had built and in my opinion it pushed to far pasted what an acceptable weigh gain was. That was a major contributing factor in me scrapping the Mega Manx Design as it had simply become to heavy and fat.

In regards to the Air Con, do your research well as from memory and I could be wrong you were running webbers which are going to be pretty hard to idle up when the compressor kicks in so you will need a cut off solenoid on either vacuum or RPM to stop it kicking in and killing your engine. Most of the Kombi's I have ever worked on that had 2L air cooled engines and air con had issues with running hot and loosing a significant amount of power.

Graham Rumble from the VW Drivers Club was one of the few guys who I know of who successfully had Air Con running on his 1600TP Engine and he will tell you it saps plenty of power. Not saying it can't be done just that the return often out weighs the benefit when you are talking about an Off Roader.

That being said Air Con Compressors have come a long was so if you fit a modern economical compressor it may have minimal load as most of the ol school setups had very inefficient compressors.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55 am

All good man.
I was only joking about going to a Commodore! You of all people should know that :lol: :lol:

I'm not going to fit the aircon until I fit fuel injection so that should hopefully not be an issue then.

As far as the added mass goes. I know it's going to be heavier, but it's not going to be that much heavier than it was. And I've not had any major dramas driving most of what I've thrown at it. Biggest issue I have is the carbies flooding on stupid steep stuff. But this problem will also be solved by fuel injection.

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:14 am

Smiley wrote:All good man.
I was only joking about going to a Commodore! You of all people should know that :lol: :lol:

I'm not going to fit the aircon until I fit fuel injection so that should hopefully not be an issue then.

As far as the added mass goes. I know it's going to be heavier, but it's not going to be that much heavier than it was. And I've not had any major dramas driving most of what I've thrown at it. Biggest issue I have is the carbies flooding on stupid steep stuff. But this problem will also be solved by fuel injection.

What carbies were you running mate? I was actually concerned about that too with the kadrons or the webers I'm putting on next..
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Vduboy wrote:

What carbies were you running mate? I was actually concerned about that too with the kadrons or the webers I'm putting on next..

Presently I have 40mm Kadrons on my 2054cc Type I. I would recommend them to anyone, once you get them set right they never go out of adjustment. I've never had a blocked jet or problems with them gumming up. All I can say is spend some extra money to get a good aftermarket linkage for them and they are sweet.

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Smiley wrote:
Vduboy wrote:

Presently I have 40mm Kadrons on my 2054cc Type I. I would recommend them to anyone, once you get them set right they never go out of adjustment. I've never had a blocked jet or problems with them gumming up. All I can say is spend some extra money to get a good aftermarket linkage for them and they are sweet.

Thanks for that mate, yeah done that so they should be a lot better, also been thinking about making my own FI set up , bike stuff lends itself quite well to Vws I hear, might do that in my spare time! :roll: Do you know what size venturi's are in your kads?
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:27 am

Not sure. Whatever came with the carbies. Probably 32mm if I had to guess. I can check when I dig the engine back out.

Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:24 am

Got some done on the rack conversion.

First step was to make these little brackets. They match the diameter of the beam and the outside of the rack and are the right size to hold my rack in the right place for no bumpsteer, as far as I have worked out at least.
They got tacked in place on the top beam tube, perpendicular to the front edge of the tubes.

You can see I have a bit of trimming to get the rack in there.

Cut some holes and moved some metal out of the way. Once I got the rack fitting in under there I centred it and set the angle of the input shaft then tacked it into place on the brackets.

Seemed to be all going well until a major setback. Turns out the angle of the racks ends won't allow them to angle back far enough to go in the steering arms for some of the steering angle. It's ok when turned away from the side cause the angle decreases. But turn towards a side and it binds up just past centre. I took a few more measurements and worked out that I had to move that rack back about 10mm to stop the binding, so I made the decision to more it back 15mm just to be sure.

It was at this point I was thinking the bumpsteer would end up being horrible now and that the rack conversion wasn't going to be the success that I had hoped for. I remade the little brackets 15mm longer and tacked everything back into place again. Moving the rack back made half of the holes that I had cut and clearanced into the framehead redundant but that's how it goes I guess.

This time the tie rods fit and the rack ends weren't binding. I could cycle the suspension up and down and full lock on the steering left to right. Then I tried to measure the bumpsteer and came to an unusual conclusion, there wasn't any!

This can't be right I thought to myself. The rack is 15mm from where it is supposed to be, I should have some discernible bumpsteer. I decided that I was trying to measure on too fine a scale on the spindles. So I dug the front discs and bearings out and fitted them up. And then fitted the front wheels. Did a rough wheel alignment and cycled the front suspension up and down and took more measurements.
I ended up with about 2mm of toe variation at the outer edge of the wheel in 12 inches of travel, except right at full droop it goes a bit funny right in the last half inch and gets about 6mm toe out. But I don't foresee this as a problem cause the stops will limit travel before this point.
I couldn't believe it and obviously was very happy with this result!!

Full droop to full bump is around 300mm (12") of travel. It will probably be limited to around 250mm (10") once I set the stops up. Ground clearance will be awesome once again, it will still easily clear a milk crate at ride height. It clears one and a half at full droop!!

I can't wait to take her for a drive and see how she steers!!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Smiley on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 am

I have a bit of a tech query for any Mk I Golf experts out there.

That rack I am fitting to the Baja is out of a Mk I Golf and I am wondering if there is meant to be anything else holding the rack ends onto the shaft. It's a fine thread and does up tight. Is this all that is done to fit them on or is there a narrow lock nut that goes on the end?

If anyone that has an early Golf knows can you let me know?

OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:02 pm

As per Brads earlier post , your man would be Graham Rumble for mark 1 golf and or Crazy George , but good luck getting him on the phone
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Forgive my ignorance but why the rack and pinion dude? I know there'll be a good reason for it but not sure why?
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Vduboy wrote:Forgive my ignorance but why the rack and pinion dude? I know there'll be a good reason for it but not sure why?

I'm on steering box number 6. They don't seem to hold up to massive wheels, big travel and 2 foot steps and other stupid stuff. Hopefully the rack is a little more resilient :twisted:

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”