Blue and Orange Manx

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Tratty
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Blue and Orange Manx

Postby Tratty » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 am

My buggy starts to become a bit unstable at about 150kph, I have had it up to 160 kph but it was really scary at that :D My old buggy of 35 years ago with a 1650 and a single 40 dcnf with 28 mm venturis I got up to 100mph twice once in third and once in fourth but again really scary and I was not tempted to go any faster :shock:

just out of curiousity what carby do you have, a 40 dcn or a 40 dcnf and what size venturis, if you look down the carby with a torch you should be able to see the venturi size in raised lettering, I would imagine it would be 28mm, 32 mm (standard for that carby) or perhaps 36mm, but don't go to any trouble on my part, I just like to know those sort of details. :D
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:58 pm

josh702 wrote:Well it all makes sense now, could you eliminate the extra steering rubbers by using a custom steering shaft or is it not really worth it.

With the frame head moved forward would this improve the stability of the car at highway speeds Becasue over 80km plus she gets abit wobby and light.

Why would you want to get rid of them, they are fine ?

If it is light etc I would suggest it needs a wheel alignment and you will no doubt find the castor is out.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm

They don't bother me just seeing what other things are done to steering set ups,

I'd say it does need a steering alignment, just been looking at the front wheels and the camber on one of them looks abit too much, do you use a tape measure and adjust it or take it to a wheel shop?

just out of curiousity what carby do you have, a 40 dcn or a 40 dcnf and what size venturis, if you look down the carby with a torch you should be able to see the venturi size in raised lettering, I would imagine it would be 28mm, 32 mm (standard for that carby) or perhaps 36mm, but don't go to any trouble on my part, I just like to know those sort of details.

I have no idea what size Venturis it has but I'd like to find out so I'll let you know, how do you tell the difference between the dcn and dcnf?
Tratty
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Tratty » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 pm

It should actually be stamped on the base of the carby but I think the dcn had 3 bolts and the ever had 4 jets and Venturis are still readily available for both if you shine a torch down the top you should be able to make out the raised lettering of the Venturis size
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Will I get more out of the engine if I up the venturi size?

Well today I had a play with one of my 002 3 rib boxes. Plan is to suss out how to remove the big bearing. I thought I might change the bearing in my current box as its very noisy and also had a thrust plate, grease the shift ball plus replace seals while I'm there hopefully this will help.
Heres a few pic's of the old box

IMG_5015.jpg
IMG_5015.jpg (117.69 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

Anyone know how this diff comes out?

IMG_5013.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

IMG_5011.jpg
IMG_5011.jpg (113.57 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

IMG_5010.jpg
IMG_5010.jpg (111.32 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

I am trying to split the rear case but there must be a few more circlips somewhere,
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:30 am

That bearing you want to replace is the mainshaft bearing, which requires complete disassembly of the transmission, and needs special tools to do so
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm

This could be very difficult without those special tools, maybe ill have to get another second hand box :cry:
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 am

Hope you got the box sorted, was wondering if you've got your buggy on the road? :)
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi PUD,

sorry I've been slack, just noticed your post.

Gearbox was pretty bad, ended up getting the diff side plates off, pull the diff out and inspected the pinon. It did not look good at all.
I picked up another box off gumtree and cleaned it up and wacked it in. Its been running good so far. time wil tell :lol:
Other then that just been doing a few small upgrades.

A couple of new seals installed,

Getting it strapped down,

While I was at it, also had a new adjustable shift rod extension made up by Paul at Steel Art. Top job :D

All installed

Next jobs include, new seat belts and MX5 seats.

The seat belts are looking abit tired so swapping them out. Still undecided of going retractable or keeping the same.

Then fitting the new seats,
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:04 am

Like that idea for the shift rod extension, might have to talk to Paul about that one, mine is pretty much a solid connection & I dont recon it'd be durable enough for the long haul :)
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 pm

It's Definitely worth looking at, and having abit of adjustment there is good too :)

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”