Two Manx Build, 1 Aussie and lots more days than I wanted

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Re: Two Manx Build, 1 Aussie and lots more days than I wante

Postby BlueV2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks Bugman, that's great.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 am

BlueV2 wrote:Looking very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah, what part number are the Bilisten rear shocks ?

Sorry missed the question.

Answer is:

Front : Bilstein 4600 Series B46-0620 BUT you will need the VW Fitting kit 131-498-441 and I also suggest the dust boots 131-413-425-A

Rear : Bilstein 4100 Series B46-0034 which will be a direct bolt in to Type 1 IRS and come with boots.

e-shock has them for $69.50 USD Front and $78.50 USD Rear. http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Mode ... &SubChar=Q

Full set from e-Shock would be $296 USD plus shipping which would be around $100 to Australia so $396.00 USD to your door. If you avoided GST and duties which you should on it being well under $1000

At the current Rate that would only be around $430 AUD so one heck of a deal.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks Brad. I am just looking at getting new rear shocks as the adjustables I got a few years back are stuffed because they have leaked out most of the oil.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Both these kickout will also get a Manxter 2+2 Airbox cover. Now the Airbox cover is not designed to fit onto anything but a Manxter 2+2 but it can be fitted although the gas strut can not be used due to the shape on the rear area of the body.

The rear Airbox cover is a love hate sort of thing but it does clean up the back end and make it look more complete.

The rear bar has also been fitted along with the custom Chrome rear tail lights.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

From here we get the feeling they are almost done but in reality we have about 2 weeks of wiring, interior, button up and detailing to be undertaken. We also have to fit the rear air box cover, front bar and lights to the gold one.

This is all the stuff which doesn't look like much but takes many hours. Once that is done the vented side pods get fitted. The pods get fitted very last as once they are on it is much harder to get the buggies on the hoist and access some of the components. Because of this we will leave the pods until after the test drive.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

With regards to electrical, over the years we have tried many different off the shelf solutions but have been unable to find anything which comes up to the required standard. The loom is a very important part of the buggy and often the different between having a great day out and not is the electrics behaving itself and keeping everything in order.

Because of that we build all out looms in house using only components which we know and trust. Yes this adds some time to a build but it ensures that the job is done right and the finished product looks right.

Gauge wise both buggies will be getting Custom Speedhut Revolution gauges. The gauges have been colour co-ordinated to each buggy and consist of a full set including GPS speedo. The gauges are fully adjustable and come with a life time warranty.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Nice gauges, I like the Manx logo design.
MIN76

Postby MIN76 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 pm

It's scary to see how clean your shed is Brad! Have you taught stewie to clean up of an arvo after you. Nice work on the buggy builds.

Cheers
Mick
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:30 pm

MIN76 wrote:It's scary to see how clean your shed is Brad! Have you taught stewie to clean up of an arvo after you. Nice work on the buggy builds.

Cheers
Mick

Yep that is what happens when you have no mates running around leaving stuff everywhere :D Although I am sure Paul and Andrews arrival will see it messed up a lot more :roll:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Matt
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Brad wrote:Image

That looks tidy.
Sidewinder exhaust and the rear cage look great.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:48 pm

The Gauges which will be used to keep an eye on things are :

GPS Speedo with a heap of cool features to play with such as 1/4 mile times, clock, etc
Tacho
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp
Volts
Fuel Gauge

They will be fitted into the Manx Kickout Dash leaving just enough room for the ignition key and any warning lights required. The speedo comes fitted with turn signals and high beam indicator.

The dash in the kickout is not square or symmetrical as it is designed to give a better view to the driver than passenger. Because of this it is very hard to mount the gauges in the same position every time so when installing them we focus on getting them square.

First up we need to get a datum to use as a reference point, to do this some trim tape is added top and bottom to give straight lines. These bits of tape are set with a level.

Once the tape is in place it is important to check to make sure they are parallel as we will use the tape borders to position the gauge set.

Once happy mark center and begin laying them out as you want. In this case I use a size gauge layout based on center. It is very important that you do the entire layout before cutting the large holes. Set out all the centers as once you cut the first hole it will be very hard to get center again to layout any of the other gauges if they are not already marked.

Then cut the holes .....

Clean up the edges with some sand paper and fit the gauges.

Repeat with the next buggy ..

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

With the gauges fitted it was time to start addressing the wiring loom. As stated before we only use full custom looms made with quality components. The wiring in the car is its life blood and can be the difference between having a great day out and sitting on the side of the road scratching your head in frustration. For that reason our looms are built once and built right.

When building a loom it is important to get the wires in place, correct length, well terminated and where required labelled. There are many schools of thought on this but I prefer to lay it out on the buggy and then remove it, terminate it and loom it using heat shrink. As part of this process we label all the running ends and use water / dust proof connectors to achieve a modular design. By going modular it allows removal of things such as the engine by simply undoing all the wires at a single point and keeps the car easy to work on and looking good.

Once we have laid it out on the engine we remove it and lay it out on the bench and get the wires laying correctly, from there we feed the heat shrink on prior to terminating, unless that are an end run. As far as a layout bench / board goes we use a steel topped fabrication bench and a heap of magnets to set the shape and lengths. By using magnets we have a fully adjustable layout which can accommodate just about any design / layout required. It is important to ensure that the wires aren't all twisted and sit nicely in each loom.

Work our way through terminating, labelling and insulating. Labels are done with a small printer and then stuck onto the wires before clear heat shrink is applied. The heat shrink is also used over the terminal to insulate it from making contact with anything once fitted. Depending on the application we will sometimes leave this outside sheath about 4mm long and fit it to the terminal prior to completing the shrink, this seals it onto the terminal and minimises corrosion.

Once done we should have a neatly formed wiring loom which has been shaped and sealed to keep elements out. We use a twin walled adhesive based heat shrink so that the wires can't more, wear or fatigue.

When finished we refit to the engine and secure it in place, the result we are looking for is everything looking like it belongs and no messy wiring to deal with.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:50 pm

This process then continues for the rest of the buggy. We continue to measure, loom, terminate, label and seal everything until we have done all the extremities of the buggy and can start looking at the brain (fuse box)

There is between 20 and 40 hours in doing a standard vehicle depending on access, layout, engine, components.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
fleegle

Postby fleegle » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Brad,

Who supplied the sidewinder exhaust. It has a sweet note on your you tube video.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:40 pm

fleegle wrote:Brad,

Who supplied the sidewinder exhaust. It has a sweet note on your you tube video.

That exhaust is a Meyers Manx Side Winder and was supplied by Meyers Manx - http://meyersmanx.com/kick-out.shtml

down the bottom of that page
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”