Two Manx Build, 1 Aussie and lots more days than I wanted

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Two Manx Build, 1 Aussie and 62 Days what could go wrong

Postby Brad » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Vduboy wrote:Ohhh they look so cute and tiny!! That looks like a awesome jig set up dude! Bet that shrinking gun will sell like hot cakes on the MMA site! What are the plans for the rest of the buggies? Street or Offroad or secrets?

I must admit my Shrinking gun is a little on the big size, it seems a 400 amp gun gets bloody heavy after a few pan cut and shuts. I doubt to many people would want to buy on due to their size and cost :shock:

Buggies will be Sane / Street Manx Kickouts. Both running 1914 Scat Engines with Rancho Transmissions, 4 wheel disc brakes, PRP Seats, and some other cool bits and pieces.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Two Manx Build, 1 Aussie and 62 Days what could go wrong

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:05 pm

So with time ticking and the truck loaded and ready for an early dash to the Powder Coaters it was time to get greasy. My real job had some other ideas so I didn't get much time to work but I did manage to duck out to the shed for an hour and strip down the rear trailing arms.

Its funny how working on a solid bench with good tools, a kick butt rattle gun and some clean rags can make a horrible job move along nicely.

One of the bugs must have just had new wheel cylinders, brake shoes and clips etc put in it as they weren't even marked. Oh well no use for that horrible drum stuff on these Manx's.

With the arms pulled down I was left with a greasy mess, a pile of parts for the powder coaters and a pile of stuff that needed cleaning.

I looked around but not being able to find a single apprentice or kid in sight to talk into scrubbing them for me I headed out to the washing machine. Now being that my wife would kick my butt if I went anywhere near the house washing machine with my parts it is lucky for me I happen to own a Man's washing machine.

Yep, complete with 3mm thick tumbler and some nice smelling washing stuff even I wouldn't want to put my clothes in.

Upon opening it I found my last load was nice and clean and ready for some press action before heading off to the powder coaters next load. So I pulled it out and tipped in the next lot ...

Sweet, looks like 30 minute load, set the timer and away we go, be back tomorrow to see how she went :D
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
josh702
Manx Jnr

Re: Two Manx Build, 1 Aussie and 46 Days what could go wrong

Postby josh702 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Now that's a washing machine, you have all the good stuff !
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:00 pm

I like toys, what I can I say. I had more but then I moved countries ..... :roll:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:00 pm

So today didn't achieve much in many ways but plenty in others. I got the 1st load of powder coating dropped off which was the big ticket items such as floor pans, trailing arms etc and then got stuck on the I15 for 3 hours as some idiot though smashing up a few cars was a great way to start the day.

On the way home I stopped in at Dan's Performance parts and picked up what looks like a Buggy Bling Truck load so now I can do an inventory check and prep for floor pan return.

When I got home I pulled it out and started sorting it into two piles, tomorrow I will put it all on the shelves in the Buggy Bays.

After that I got to unpack the washing machine

Then just as I was heading off to work my mate the UPS Man rocked up with a small box of wiring loving. Since I am yet to find anyone who makes a descent loom for a buggy I like to hand build them all so they meet my needs. Like everything you get out what you put in so I limit my shopping list to quality components that I know works well and are good quality.

Tomorrow I will strip the front beams, add in some adjusters, and get the next load ready for powder coating.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Surfsup

Postby Surfsup » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:16 am

Hey Brad can you explain how the washing machine works for us uneducated ones, do you load it up with all the parts at once? How come they dont damage each other if you do put them all in together? What are the pellets? Crap I get in trouble for putting jeans and white t shirts in together, not to mention my young bloke who's a bricklayer work clothes, maybe we could get a machine like yours to do our parts and his clothes, thanks in anticipation .
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 am

Surfsup wrote:Hey Brad can you explain how the washing machine works for us uneducated ones, do you load it up with all the parts at once? How come they dont damage each other if you do put them all in together? What are the pellets? Crap I get in trouble for putting jeans and white t shirts in together, not to mention my young bloke who's a bricklayer work clothes, maybe we could get a machine like yours to do our parts and his clothes, thanks in anticipation .

No probs I will get a picture of the outside but basically that drum sits in a bath of cleaning fluid and turns over with a motor and chain. The trick is that it turns over very slowly so think of it as moving through a crowd slowly as opposed to running. The parts move their way through the media which is covered and dripping in cleaning fluid. As the media touches the parts it rubs fluid on them as well as rubbing dirt and grime off.

There is no real damage although I do cover the threads of put nuts back on them. I did a bit of testing with some old crap to make sure no issues where found.

The guy I got it off used to rebuild cylinder heads and he would just pop them in and turn it on to clean them etc.

Works very well for what it is.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 am

you can also get different grade media and fluid to achieve different results ....

place i worked at years ago used one to polish parts prior to going into the polish shop ( final hand polish ) before being chromed.....
that machine was about the size of a spa bath, had a hydraulic lid and the whole lot was suspended on big coil springs and had an offset weight to vibrate rather than tumble.

If the boss wasnt happy with you he'd make you pick the media out of parts after it was emptied as smaller media gets trapped inside parts and can be a PITA especially when there's thousands of parts :roll:

also used a similar machine to knock the sand out of cast parts in the foundry....one thing that was standard with all these machines was they were all deafening :shock: :x a lower speed and smaller scale may not be so bad maybe?
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
Surfsup

Postby Surfsup » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks Brad, I would appreciate seeing some pics of it in operation, could be a good thread " Brads Tools" or " Useful tools" and show off some of your stuff or what other guys are using so the rest of us who normally just blunder our way thru could learn a thing or two, The days of learning to use machinery and mechanical repairs is quickly fading now, noone wants to fix anything it has become component replacement everywhere so seeing how to actually use some of these tools would be great.

Cheers
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Surfsup wrote:Thanks Brad, I would appreciate seeing some pics of it in operation, could be a good thread " Brads Tools" or " Useful tools" and show off some of your stuff or what other guys are using so the rest of us who normally just blunder our way thru could learn a thing or two, The days of learning to use machinery and mechanical repairs is quickly fading now, noone wants to fix anything it has become component replacement everywhere so seeing how to actually use some of these tools would be great.

Cheers

No way the trouble I could get into if my wife was to have an understanding what I have and what it is worth ... damn that would be messy I wouldn't be able to move for all the animals :roll:

I mean take this draining table for example, I tell her it is to put wet parts on and they drip into th water tray and keep the concrete nice and clean, now if I went posting pictures in to many places she might get fishy I am not telling her the full story .
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I would love a drainage table - I wonder if Anne would fall for that :roll: :roll:
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Nearly two weeks since we've seen any work........
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm

VWNuts wrote:Nearly two weeks since we've seen any work........

Damn two weeks .... if I wait anothr 6mths then it will almost look like one of your builds :twisted:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Oh I know I have really slow builds. That's why I don't put a time frame on them.....

So back to topic..... Where are the updates :P
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm

well sort of lost track of where I was in building these babies, luckily the shop is just down the hill so I was able to go and check.

With the front beams I am using the factory Ball Joint Beams and adding weld in adjusters. When fitting these it is very important you keep th beam straight and get a good weld in place to hold them. Also make sure that the rear weld bead doesn't interfere with the frame head when mounting.

To do this I use a Custom Ball Joint Beam Jig to keep it all in place

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”