Brad’s – Manxter 2+2 Offroad Build, A-Arm, Subaru and Toys

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Brad’s Before Big Bear Buggy Build – Manxter 2+2

Postby Brad » Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 pm

So with Big Bear coming around again I guess I should have another shot at making it ...

I figure it is time to pull my figure out of the dozen or so customer jobs I have on the go and get some Blue Manxter Action.

Since last update I have changed direction a little as that is how I like to roll so the EJ22 has been relegated to the Tow'd and the Manxter now has an EJ25 SOHC sitting alongside. Main reason for upgrade was due to MAP not MAF and my hate of the hotwire. Although in the end it didn't matter as I ended up deciding to go with an aftermarket ECU.

So now I have to add building a custom loom for the ECU to my list of things to do. My obsession with building element resistant looms has also given direction to the build and I have done away with the fuse box and relays and got a PDM to take care of the electrics.

The PDM is an awesome bit of gear and allows me to utilise CAN bus to communicate between my ECU and PDM and limits the need for external interaction with programmable logic loops taking care of most functions. The other benefit is that I can reprogram without having to repin or rewire.

To start off with the new design I made a few changes to my Meyers Manx Australia ADR Dash Module. Even though it isn't needed in the USA I like the function they offer and how much easier they make hooking up dash indicators. Once complete it was potted and will get loomed later with Raychem and a Deutsch Connector.

So I started by making a big mess on the bench, no one can work tidy on their own projects ..

Once the mess was in place I moved onto potting ..

Not real happy with the mess which is the back of the dash but if I do to much to it I will loose the ability to remove gauges, I am still considering what I can do about that, any ideas ?

Next I made up a panel to mount the PDM and ECU. This panel will sit forward of the Manxter Dash and once in place seal it all off from the pedals.

So with that done I could slip it in place and begin thinking about wire routes and lengths.

At this stage I would estimate I have to find around 60 - 100 hrs to complete the loom, programme the PDM and get it all working. Will be interesting to see how it goes as although I decided to go Deutsch and AMP rather than AutoSports when you start playing with Raychem, tefzel and looming it tends to eat many more hours than anticipated, although I expect the PDM to save a significant amount of time.

Loom will be mainly 20 AWG Tefzel with primary run at 6AWG and high draws such as headlights and fans at 14AWG. The PDM can handle 80 AMP draw with over current of 100%. I get 7x8 Amp Circuits and 8x20 Amp circuits. It has 16 channels which is plenty when you take into account CAN bus.

For example switch the radiator fan on no longer needs a channel as it is a logic decision. So when engine temp is > 90 C turn ON & < 86C turn OFF.

or fuel pump becomes when Ignition is first turned on run for 5 seconds ( prime) OR when starter is cranking turn on OR when engine RPM > 50 and Ignition On etc etc. It also allows you to do weird stuff as for example make you beep the horn once with ignition is on before you can start it if you felt the need to programme such an event.

Anyway I will post the logic params once I have finished working out all the requirements I have, should be interesting.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Great to see you back into this Brad! Not many other Manxter build threads that I can get inspiration from! Wow that logic stuff brings back memories from electronics at school.. Should be a great way to get the white smoke to do what you want it to. Can't wait to see more. :D
Last edited by Vduboy on Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu May 15, 2014 5:08 am

Vduboy wrote:Great to see you back into this Brad! Not many other Manxter build threads that I can get inspiration from! Wow that logic stuff brings back memories from electronics at school.. Should be a great way to get the white smoke to do what you want it to. Can wait to see more. :D

Just have to make sure I keep the white smoke inside the wires or it will become expensive real quick.

My wife has told me if I want to go to Big Bear this year she is only going with me if we are leaving our driveway in a Blue Manxter with two kids in the back. In anticipation of my response she booked flights to spend the two week lead up with her parents as she knows I won't notice if she is here or not during that period. I pointed out of course I would as I only had 9 days worth of work clothes and the milk goes off after a few hours on the counter :D

Game on !!
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Matt
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Matt » Thu May 15, 2014 6:53 am

Liking the integration of a pdm into the set up. The motec Ecu should fit in nicely. Don't know what they go for with you over there but close to 1800 finest Aussie dollars here ! Don't want stray voltages frying that.

Always good to see your direction changes and integration of new stuff. :mrgreen:
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu May 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Matt wrote:Liking the integration of a pdm into the set up. The motec Ecu should fit in nicely. Don't know what they go for with you over there but close to 1800 finest Aussie dollars here ! Don't want stray voltages frying that.

Always good to see your direction changes and integration of new stuff. :mrgreen:

Yeah well they are more than that here, good thing I shop Aussie then :)

Next step is to get the engine in but before I can do that I need to build the engine loom as once the manifold is on you can't get to the loom as such.

Due to the nature of the Subaru Sensors I will be modifying a factory engine loom to avoid the issues with factory plugs. As I will be running a number of extra sensors such as oil pressure these will be added to the loom as well. The intake manifold I am using came off a later Subaru and will get some internal love before use. For setup purposes I will just use a standard MAP model and matching loom. Every thing I don't want will be removed to keep it clean.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm

In order to do the engine loom like I want to do it I am going to have to spend more time than I have tracking down factory terminations. I have 80% of them on the shelf but 80% isn't 100% so I will work with what I have. What this means is the loom will be a short term fix and have to utilize factory lengths and wire types. It will also mean that I can really heat shrink it as in order to do so I would need to split factory joins to get the feeds on. Anyway with that said time to make it work.

To start with I need to work out what sensors etc I want to keep and what I don't. Based on that here is my list.
- 4 injectors
- coil pack with integrated ignitor
- TPS - Throttle Posn Sensor
- MAP - Mass Air Pressure
- ICAV - Idle Control Air Valve
- Crank Sensor
- Cam Angle Sensor

The rest is Gone !! as it is either of no use to me or of no use to the ECU. Items such as the knock sensor are an $800 add on from Motec and I don't see me needing one of them anytime soon as the engine is worth about $800 :lol:

So I start with a 2001 EJ 25 MAP Manifold

Pull the engine loom off it

Take all the horrible cracking crap off it

Refit it to the manifold to work out what is best to go where and so on and also double check I haven't forgotten anything

Then begin to remove and modify to get the finished product ...
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri May 16, 2014 3:35 pm

While that is going on I need to ensure that my manifold mods are done to suit my cooling system. Now with the Manxter I am doing something a little different so need to make a few changes.

Welding manifolds is always fund due to the casting variations but as long as it don't leak it will never be seen again.

Stock and the modified one

Once fitted this will allow me to run my cooling out the back of the engine which now the front of the engine and keep it going where I need it.

I have flipped them before but I needed the inlet and outlet on different sides for both my Manxter and a customers with side mounted radiators fitted.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat May 17, 2014 5:06 pm

well it is funny when I travel half way around the world and the best fitting parts I have had for my buggy build so far have come from guys in Brisbane Australia .... a big thanks has to go out to Paul at Steel Art Creations for the awesome stainless steel headers and exhaust and Dave "AKA Dyno" for the best shortened sump in the world. Many have tried to copy but since the early days when Dave and I designed them and Wes's cleaned it up in a CAD model no one has even come close to 85mm shorter than stock. Added to this will be the Subaru Transmission from Todd at Subaru Gears and the lowest part of my Buggy will be the rear forks ... now bad at all, thanks guys.

New pickup makes it fit :)

Access hole make getting it on possible

Headers make it complete

Add the reversed water manifold and we are almost ready to go ...

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sat May 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Very nice work! Love the stainless headers they look great.. But the sump goes on the bottom of the motor mate... :lol:
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat May 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Vduboy wrote:Very nice work! Love the stainless headers they look great.. But the sump goes on the bottom of the motor mate... :lol:

Yeah .. Not ... you see it goes on the bottom of the motor in Australia so surely that means that it goes on top up here ??? No ?
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Brad wrote:
Vduboy wrote:Very nice work! Love the stainless headers they look great.. But the sump goes on the bottom of the motor mate... :lol:

Yeah .. Not ... you see it goes on the bottom of the motor in Australia so surely that means that it goes on top up here ??? No ?

Oh crap forgot about that...! Haha got my wiper motor sorted today. Good idea using the suby wiper motor it sweeps really well. Thanks!
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 am

well with all these UFO Sightings in the area I am getting sort of concerned that if I do to much the aliens might come and take me away.

With that in mind I thought I should get it out of the shed quickly..

Get the seats in it ..

Load up the family ..

Hook up some wires

and head for Big Bear .. hope to see you all there .. 50th Anniversary of the Meyers Manx, will be huge so I better keep something to unveil :D
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed May 21, 2014 2:29 pm

you know what ? I think the kids need more leg room .....

here we go again :twisted:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Wed May 21, 2014 4:45 pm

If you weren't cutting glass I would think something was wrong.

You may as well widen your guards while you are at it as I know you want to. :roll:
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu May 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Lovebuggy wrote:If you weren't cutting glass I would think something was wrong.

You may as well widen your guards while you are at it as I know you want to. :roll:

yeah I like to cut stuff up, it makes me feel important :roll:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”