Brad’s – Manxter 2+2 Offroad Build, A-Arm, Subaru and Toys

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Brad’s Before Big Bear Buggy Build – Manxter 2+2

Postby Brad » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Vduboy wrote:
Brad wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I have had a bit of practice working on buggies now so I manage to get most things done.

Wheels are Walker Evans Beadlocks. from is 15 x 4 and rear is 15 x 6.5" with a 30.9.5 up front and a 33 x 10.5 in rear

Wow! You squeezed 30"s on a 4"inch rim?? :shock: Or is that a typo? Makes everyone else's Manxters look small... thanks heaps! :lol:
It's looking really good mate. I'd bet you are hanging to drive it now, how much do you have to go?

No typo I have 30 x 9.5 x 15 on a 15 x 4" beadlocked rim. There are plenty of guys over here running 33 x 10.5 on a 4" rim so I will see how they go.

As for what's left to do ....

Wire it
Programe it
Cooling
Radiator
Air Con
Front Bar
Rear Bar
Mount Seat
Run fuel lines
Put intake on engine
wheel alignemnet
change CV's and Axles for longer ones
Remove transmission and engine again and out in correct nose cone
Do wheel bearings
Mount Dash
Mount ECU
Make bonnet hinge
valve shock, and gas them
fit mirrors
sort wipers
sort horn
mount air con properly
Fit fibreglass
fit hard top
fit seat belts
and probably another hundred small jobs I haven't thought about yet.

Most of what you see is in mock up and most will be coming apart again ...

Ahhh the fun of custom buggies
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Ok you win your list is a little longer than mine, how far away is Big Bear? I'm guessing you don't remember what sleep is anymore.. Yeah that's surprising about the tyres they look great for the wheel size. Keep at it I wanna see some action shots! :twisted:
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:27 am

Vduboy wrote:Ok you win your list is a little longer than mine, how far away is Big Bear? I'm guessing you don't remember what sleep is anymore.. Yeah that's surprising about the tyres they look great for the wheel size. Keep at it I wanna see some action shots! :twisted:

Big Bear is on the 10th of Jul and we are leaving on the 9th to Drive our Buggies up.

I found more stuff to add to my list so the damn thing isn't even going in the right direction :?
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:44 am

One of the issues you run into when on a tight time line is making sure you have all the parts you need to finish it. In my case I have a week I am trying to take off prior to the event so will be going hard in that 7 day period to get it done. Prior to that I try and get a few hours a day into it just to keep it moving.

With a build plan like this you really need to break it down into lot and lots of little tasks and just keep chipping away. One such area is the electrics. In my Manxter once they are done they will be one of the most complicated and expensive wiring jobs I have ever done and if I do it correctly it will never have an issue or been seen by anyone, because of that it isn't really something I can do peacmeal as I would loose track. With that in mind I came up with a way to get as much of it done without really doing anything.

The main thing I am doing at this stage is adding plugs to everything .... let em explain ..

Take my speedo .. it is made by speed hut and come with several plugs hanging off te back and a few loose wires. Same with my guages you can just see them behind with the rolled up green, red , blue wires etc.

Now you may think that installing it as is would be easy enough and you would be correct apart from the fact that it is not easy to avoid a birds nest and making a loom on teh bench would be a PITA due to wire lengths and runs etc.

So the easy solution is to add a single plug onto each gauge so it all just plugs in with one plug which can exit the bench loom and be done.

I start by cutting all the wires that hang out the back, as luck would have it speed hut use the same colour wire for several senders which is a PITA. To allow for this I mark each wire after cutting and before removing the tag.

You can also see the Deutsch connector I will be using and my list of wires and pins. This is the key to make sure you know what each wire is and what pin it goes to. I have several different keyed Deutsch so match them up to ensure no confusion

Once I am happy with that I terminate the plug, add some dual layer glue backed heat shrink for a back shell and terminate / seal it.

I then repeat this process for every item I will have in the buggy from stereo to indicators.

When I get to plugs I do not have available to me that go onto factory senders etc such as reverse and neutral switches, they come with tails as part of the sender

If I was to cut off the plug then I would have to do so every time I need to replace the sender and I have had issues with the senders before. In this case I make a mini adapter loom using the factory plug and a connector I do have a terminal for.

Again I repeat this process for ever sensor I have from injector to switches etc.

The end result is that I should have a known connector at every point to which I can terminate my loom and then plug it in. So once I have everything mounted I can simply measure it out and make a loom to drop in.

Is it a quick option ... nope but it is easy to find the time to keep terminating, sealing and installing components one by one and not so easy to find the time to do a complete loom at the moment.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:11 am

One of the inevitable issue when wiring a buggy is that at some stage you are going to have to use what I refer to as crappy spade terminals. I say this as there isn't a great deal of options and getting a good connection is a PITA when corrosion gets into the mix.

With that in mind I have been through a lot of terminals and settled on the non insulated tin type from a specific manufacture.

The amount of wire striped clean of insulation equates to just enough to fill the rear sleeve on the connector and have the insulation about 1mm from the rear. The reason for this is so that the insulation is not in the sleeve and a visual inspection can confirm. If you have it is the sleeve you make effect the crimp pressure and get a bad or faulty termination.

I then put it in and crimp it with a set of rolling and reverse dies.

Once done and I am happy I use some dual wall heat shrink, dual wall refers to the fact it is glue lined, using this gives a nice seal and lots of strength so that if you tug the wire the connector won't fall off.

I then cut a piece of clear single wall heat shrink and slip it over the terminal and dual heat shrink. Here I make sure that the total length is less than the terminal plus dual wall heat shrink so when it gets shrunk it covers the terminals and the shoulder but does not form a funnel at the top due to the thickness change.

I do not heat this yet as I wait until it is on the terminal to give best cover.

I then repeat this for every spade terminal I have.

So you may wonder what I have that has stupid spade terminals and can't be replaced ... simple .. my Air Con controller :roll:

Can't imagine why this build is talking so damn long lol
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:28 pm

With the wiring under way I needed to keep lugging with getting stuff mounted so I can wire. Next on my list was the Motec PDM 15 and the M84 ECU. You would think for an ECU with the price tage of the M84 it would have a damn bracket but no they suggest you use velcro.

So anyway the PDM has a tendancy to get hot so I decided to mount it on an alloy bracket so it has a bit of additional heat sink action. So I drew one up in one of them CAD programe things and cut it out.

Then bent it up to suit on the Magnetic Brake, man that makes life easy with the lighter material

Should work ..

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:59 pm

Nice work Brad.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Much to Pauls amusement I am going to run a front mount radiator with alloy cooling lines, he seems to think I will end up like troy in a puff of hot steam ....

Skip to 1:20 ...

I am using a stock radiator from Griffin which is 12" x 20" and it is a three core with flow through tanks. This means that both the inlet and the outlet are on the same side and the water enters the top of one tank and is then forced through half the radiator into the other tank and then back through the bottom half and out the other side. I prefer this setup as it gives you two bites at the water and reduces hot spots in the radiator.

The issue is that I really don't want to have two lines on one side of the Manxter as I need to get the lines up high so there is no chance of a kid gradding onto them when getting into the buggy or touching them if they hang their hands out.

Before I can begin lines I need to mount the radiator into place so that I can allow for clearance to the fuel tank etc. I have done some cutting up front to let it clear.

I am going to rubber mount on the bottom tabs coming ofdf the A-Arm frame mounts.

Make up a bracket and test fit

Level it out

Make a matching pair

Drop the radiator back in place, I have cut up a factory Subaru Condensor and taped it on so I dont forget to allow for the a/c condensor when I mount everything.

Should work and not look crappy

With that done I can fab up a quick front bar to start working on the design for that. I rolled the top bar to follow the Manxter lines. Material is 1020 DOM in 1 1/2" OD with 0.120 wall. Should be plenty string enough.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Now I have that in place I can work on my radiator lines. A few quick measuremnets and back to the bender. Material is 1 1/2" 6061 grade with a 1/4" wall thickness. This allows me to bend it and sleeve it.

Should work :D
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Now I need to move the inlet from the radiator from one side to the other so I can feed on one side and draw on the other.

As I am running out of space I need to get in close to the radiator which means the 3D die I have will not be up to the task. Therefore, I will need to use a mandrel and weld onto it. As luck would have it the tube I have has a 1/4" wall meaning that I can machine it down to 1/8" and allow the mandrel bend to sleeve on. This makes alignment easy and welding easy .

So into the lathe to make the modifications

Should do .

Now we do a quick test fit to ensure we have length correct

Add some weld and we are away, I weld this before I weld it to the radiator so it is much easier to get around it.

Now after a few more test fits I can weld it onto the radiator.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:14 pm

BlueV2 wrote:Nice work Brad.

Cheers mate I just hope that one day soon I can stop being a builder and start being a driver for a while so I can catch up to the km's you have on your buggy :D
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Alloy pipes are great along the sides of the buggy, they work well to disperse heat. You should have heaps of cooling capacity on this. I just run an Imprezza radiator and hardly ever have my fans come on.

Building is a lot of the fun though Brad - but maybe you have taken that a bit far ! lol

I have mine apart and am trying to install a Camira steering rack.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:39 pm

BlueV2 wrote:Alloy pipes are great along the sides of the buggy, they work well to disperse heat. You should have heaps of cooling capacity on this. I just run an Imprezza radiator and hardly ever have my fans come on.

Building is a lot of the fun though Brad - but maybe you have taken that a bit far ! lol

I have mine apart and am trying to install a Camira steering rack.

Yeah I enjoy the build BUT I think the time is right to actually finish something, at least to the level of being able to drive it to Big bear for the 5oth Anniversary in under 30 days
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Brad’s – Manxter 2+2 Offroad Build, A-Arm, Subaru and To

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 am

got the dash covered and back in with the new gauges, air con controls and vents.

Once that was in I could start putting everything else back in.

I also coated the steering column surround although I don't like the gap behind the wheel so will make a cover for that.

My stereo head unit also arrived so I quickly threw that in as well.

Of course before I did that I loomed it and added a connector.

With that being almost all the mounting of stuff it is time to start the biggest job which is the ECU Loom. It will be made from tefzel MilSpec wire and unlike the rest of the loom use coloured wires to make layout easier.

ECU Loom

Once I am happy with it and the PDM integration I will seal it all in Raychem DR25 heat shrink to ensure it stays sealed and provides years of happy service. Once the connectors go on with backshells I would it to outlast the sensors it is connecting.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Re: Brad’s – Manxter 2+2 Offroad Build, A-Arm, Subaru and To

Postby manxiberty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:39 pm

with that head unit do you fold your cd's in half and feed them in ? :lol:
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”