baja bus with a difference

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

ernie norley

Re: baja bus with a difference

Postby ernie norley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:01 pm

beam plate nice & solid
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Good evening all. refit of the front beam this morning after getting the end plates equal distance from the tube ends. with the beam weighing so much more I made up this tool to help fit it made the job a breeze after doing it last week with the trolley jack & bottle jack. the top tube sits in the angle the just jack it up. easy task now. hope people are watching this build & possibly thinking about doing something similar
ernie

may have to run 15'' rims these are going to hit the guard
plenty of lift

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 pm

G'day al beam in again & damn tube moved so going to build a jig to put a jack behind it & push the tube through to line up. This will be best done in as I have lined it up only to move when I put it back in
as you can see it's a fair way to the left

Standard height before changing beams

after with the rodeo spindles & beam spread.
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:42 pm

G'day all been busy on house but got a couple of hours on the left side headers. Due to lack of room I have to make a set. the left side because of pulse are the more complicated. have to make the collectors to suit. so far there are 9 90deg bends still 4 more to go into it.
ernie

fathers day pressie from son next job BMW 3 series winder motors fit with minimum work so will post a step by step theres a thread on samba but I ill do 1 aswell

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 am

G'day all. been fiddling with electric window motors on ECLECTIC after taking a while to get the winder mechanism out I took 1/2 hour to remove the old mechanical winder & fit the motor to it. the motor is from a 3 series BMW. I cut the portion of the kombi retainer & placed it under the BMW 1 to grip the motor to the mechanism this worked well compared to how the bloke did his on the samba forum. I tried to post video on here but didn't load so put it up on youtube under T2vw bus BMW electric windows. I think this system should fit the cable type system on the beetles as well with some for though
ernie

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:46 pm

G'day all. been sorting out the speedo drive to convert Toyota electronic unit out of gearbox to fit in to Nissan transfer case. simple machining job 1st take some off the Nissan shaft to fit into Toyota housing the machine out the centre of the Nissan housing to create a sleeve to adapt the Toyota housing into the transfer case body. easy job & allows me to run electronic speedo & provides VSS for the motor etc. the red drive is Nissan you can see the size difference in the shaft & the housings. back to the Engineers tomorrow for some lathe work.
ernie

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 pm

good evening all. Good news Engineer okayed the spread beam Daewoo rack & pinion & modified rodeo spindles. So all go for the 4x4 conversion. The next major which is really easy is to box the load bay chassis rails. everything is finished in the machining department
ernie
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 pm

That's great news, I bet that is a weight off your mind.. Much more to go now?
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:48 pm

Good evening vduboy thanks for comment. All the outside manufacturing modifying is finished just my parts to do I have out sourced the welding to the local tailshaft fellas for safety reasons on the welds. I limit myself to no structural welding. Now at least I know I can do it so start to bolt everything in. I want it finished asap but must be done for next Valla. so keep watching it will happen.
ernie
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 am

Happy birthday for today Ernie :) , haven't heard from you for a while, how's progress going on the build?
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:06 pm

thanks Pud. I have been flat out on the home reno stuff. I have changed the steering rack over to an Audi single side 1/2 the weight & size plus easier to fit. Also found a bay the owner told me it was in the weeds little did in know he meant it.
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:15 pm

thanks Pud. I have been flat out on the home reno stuff. I have changed the steering rack over to an Audi single side 1/2 the weight & size plus easier to fit. Also found a bay the owner told me it was in the weeds little did in know he meant it.
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 pm

replacing the Daewoo rack with An Audi unit 1/2 the size.

this is the left front drive shaft made up of rodeo outer end & the diff flange out of a commodore IRS centre. I have to use the outer rear CV off the commodore for the plunge as the outer rode doesn't plunge & the inner commodore doesn't either.

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”