baja bus with a difference

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

ernie norley

Re: baja bus with a difference

Postby ernie norley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:14 am

G'day all. some catch up pics this how the floor strengthening frame looks then being put in to place it slides into the top hats & sits on top of the chassis rails then bolted thru floor. to reinforce the cut out section it's 75mm x 50mm x 5mm thick angle iron. with 30 mm x 30mm x 3 mm. Then a 50mm x 50mm x 3mm tube joined by the xmembers under front of sump this will also support the centre bearing for the front tailshaft the other will be under transmission the transfer case will use it original mounts bolted to brackets on cradle so the whole drive train can be taken out thru the side door as a unit. the drawing will give you idea how much it intrudes into load area once it is all bolted in.
ernie

before being driven home they pretty well slid straight in
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 pm

G'day all Picked up carrier hub & axle flange this how it looks the hub just had a minor clean up on lathe to round off the pajero flange was machined to allow slide on fit for ease of locating depth foe caliper bracket& disc alignment. I will then drill & tap into the carrier on the chalk marks to bolt the backing plate caliper bracket on there's plenty metal to do this. The hub's have been drilled to common 6 stud pattern to match the rodeo fronts. I may not need to use the flange plate of the axle so will explore that once I get the axle out of housing.
hub cleaned up
machined flange
slide fit
all way home
pajero caliper bracket & backing plate
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 am

G'day all. a couple of pics of the assembled set up taking the carrier back now to get it drilled & tapped this has strangely enough a light skim on both the carrier & the pajero caliper bracket to slide together then drill the boltholes. I will be looking at ways to use the set up but retain the vw stud pattern as a conversion for people who want to copy it so keep watching this space. I was lucky with the cost of mine $30.00 for both sides but most wreckers want about $300. for complete set up.
back to work on It tomorrow hope to get engine cradle finished with mounts & x members tacked in then bring it back to have it welded. I have an idea for doing electric windows using linear actuators instead of motors lot less work from using 1 to raise & lower my ride on mower deck modified & moved out to create a front cut so I can mow under trees I figured if it lifts that it will easily lift a door glass it is the matter of making a bracket to strengthen the fitting on the bottom of the glass to bolt it onto the bottom will bolt to a similar bracket mounted to the in door frame then it's the matter of setting adjustment so it doesn't push it past the closed point. So couple of hours sorting out tomorrow will post pics & how to if it works. wont be fast but should be ok for what I want looking at
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:06 pm

G'day all. This is the engine transmission cradle simple design but built out of heavy gauge tube so solid. I still have make engine mount brackets to weld on to it.
all for now
ernie
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 pm

G'day all. spent an hour today sorting out the shifter setup for ECLECTIC. The middle is the original tarago on it's floor mounting bracket the handbrake lever is hi ace & the transfer case shifter is L300 removed from it housing. As you can see it's a simple fix as everything bolted to original holes just need to reinforce it. I'm looking at using a checker plate tool box if I can get 1 around the size needed.
ernie

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:54 am

G'day all. Pics of engine cradle sitting with the engine in it's final resting place. Have to make the mounting brackets to weld onto cradle there simple to do. do them today sometime.
ernie.

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 am

Looks good slotted in like that! Brings back a few memories, as a young bloke I used to have a Bedford van with a 350 & powerglide, obviously sat a lot further forward than yours. Induction noise was awesome! Easy to tune, with engine cover removed could tweak the timing etc whilst on the run!

Recon quietening the motor/ road noise will require a bit of work, but thats minor details! Going well :D
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 am

G'day Pud. I was going to use An inboard engine cover out of mates boat but it was to big. I'm still looking on gumtree etc for a smaller size. If I can't get 1 I will build 1 in aluminium using 25mm square tube with inner & outer panel with sound deadening in between. for the tunnel over transmissions will just have sound proofing felt type over dynamat. Then heavy duty van rubber mat. The noise shouldn't be to bad anyway it has to sound better than a diesel knocking it's head to bits.
ernie
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:25 pm

G'day all. made up the mount brackets today bit rough around the holes. But won't be seen when motor sits down on them.
ernie

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 pm

wow great build it is good to see someone doing something different, should be a weapon when it is done.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:23 pm

G'day Brad. good to have you drop in last person I expected. How's it going over there been watching your 2 buggy build. If your wondering we met a Pauls open day when Todd came up. there's probably more info on the kombi club site as to the direction ECLECTIC's heading in. I have been lucky so far most of the mods to the rear brakes were pure ass just looked right for the job. won't get much done next week have granddaughters for the 1st week of school hols so out of shed for 3 weeks. As the kombi is living on the goldie & I'm in Nambour only get about 4 to 6 hours a fortnight on it & my son in laws that I'm fitting a ej 22 into. Stay well over there hope everything's going well for you & family
ernie
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:43 pm

G'day all. Been playing with spindle set up if I place the camber nut on top I get a 7cm lift by placing it on the bottom I gat 9.5cm bit high any comments appreciated
spent some time on front end so this is what it will look
ernie

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 pm

G'day all. some pics from today been away from shed for a month so catching up to do. 1st up the tool box come console I will have trim the back by 10.5 cm's so I can move it back then trim the lid behind & relocate the lock.

this is the spindle in place will need to bolt up hub to see how it looks with load on it but I may still need to spread beams

these are the engine mounting brackets a bit of tidy up then weld 5cmx 5cm angle to the bottom this will sit on top of the rail & bolt down to them

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:43 pm

This thing is going to weigh as much as a tank! Should be strong as mate. Love seeing all the innovation with all the mix match of parts. :D
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:50 am

ernie norley wrote:G'day all. Been playing with spindle set up if I place the camber nut on top I get a 7cm lift by placing it on the bottom I gat 9.5cm bit high any comments appreciated

G'day ernie, to me the 7" lift from standard sounds about right, but I guess it depends on what wheels you'll be running, maybe if you are planning to run 33's might need a little higher to keep things in proportion?? What sort of lift can you crank out of the rear?

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”