baja bus with a difference

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

ernie norley

Re: baja bus with a difference

Postby ernie norley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:30 am

G'day pud that's a 70 mm lift not 7'' On the rear I have space the hubs out to allow slide on cv's due to the wider commodore diff & adapters so I'm using 13mm plate between the spring plate & the hub but with 2 extra holes in in it to drop the hubs down by the amount so bottom bolts will go in the top etc this gives me lift of about 50mm with out resetting the spring plates I will make up a bracket to bolt on then bolt to the bottom of a arm to strengthen the spacer to spring plat gap pics of that will be tomorrow so you will understand
ernie
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:48 pm

G'day all. front spindle & hub assembly in place. I need to have a good look at set up I may need to flip the spindle & bottom arm Then spread the beams to accommodate. it seem to have a lot of caster & there's load on the lower arm that need relieving. so back to the shed tomorrow at home with the spare beam but pics will give you an idea of what it will end up like

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Sorry about the typo ernie... us tassies get confused pretty easy :lol: ..... 7cm was what I was visualising :)
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 pm

G'day all. been sorting out the front spindles & beam after much sitting & changing lower arms I have decided that the beams have to separate. I original set the spindles up with camber nut on top but to get it work on the beam I would have had to spread it a lot more than I wanted to if you have a look at the beam on the factory 4x4 bay is has been spread & uses 2 bump stop arms it looks like they just cut & shut 2 sets of beams with the spread built in. I didn't think the lower ball joint would clear but it needs a fine linish just to give it clearance on full lock in both directions here are the pics with both set ups

not good

better

complete assembly just check on fit

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 am

G'day all. Picking up a complete running 3.9 litre discovery motor tomorrow with the harness & computer they run a stand alone harness so it seems that you locate the computer in a safe spot then add the inertia switch & power turn the key & it should run fingers xed. I have booked for valla missed out getting into valla itself stupid not booking earlier in 2011. being down to 4 hours a fortnight I don't think I'm going to meet my finish date so I may trailer it down. I have been working on the beam spread have it sitting in a simple home made jig just have to get the plates cut for it then I can start to mount the rack & pinion & the front diff mounts. don't know what the rear mount on the front diff will be like until the beam is in with diff mounted. I hope to have ECLECTIC up on the sunshine coast after XMAS that will give me 3 days a week constant on it & still finish the long running reno on the house. house being the priority. pics of the beam & jig tomorrow. all for now
ernie
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 am

G'day all. not much happening due to bad back. this the spacer plate for the rear hub's. the hub will move down to give 9cm's lift without resetting the spring plates. once their fitted there will be a tube from the bottom bolts to bottom of inner arm to strengthen the step down. I will be swapping hubs over so the shock mount is facing up to give more clearance. I haven't drilled for caliper brackets yet. will set 1 up to see whats going to work the best.

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:46 am

Hope the back's getting better Ernie, getting any build time in? Pud
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:39 am

G'day pud. back problems turned out to be torn rotator cuff so slowed down from lifting but spent the time gathering up more bit's to add to the name putting up a car port & slab for ECLECTIC hope to bring IT home next week from goldie.
ernie.
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:57 am

G'day all. I have spent a couple of day's with Jeff Dellow to sort out adapters to suit v6 commodore & rover v8 to the Subaru gearbox looking at the ease of pars especially commy along with reliability & reasonable economy for the ultimate kombi power source. if anyone would like to know about this contact me.
ernie
ttriebler
Manx Jnr

Postby ttriebler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Still waiting for your call Ernie....what happened?
Reversed gears for Subaru Transmissions
Fit a 5 apeed to your rear engined car
www.subarugears.com
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 pm

G'day all. ECLECTIC is home from the goldie so now it's down to fitting all the stuff I have here. 1st job is emptying it out & setting up the new workshop ie a 7 meter Pantech. good solid waterproof with container style doors on rear & single side door. If anyone on sunshine coast who would like come over let me know no beer but plenty of tea & coffee. Home most day's
ernie
ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 pm

G'day all. been setting up the alternator due to lack of room on the front of the motor & not wanting to mount below the heads in the dirt & water I have decided to mount it on the back of the right hand head & drive it with an solid round aluminium bar with the pulley on the front & a steering column donut between the rear of the shaft & the alternator it runs in self aligning bearings between the rocker cover & the inlet manifold bit 0f a squeeze & have to fit a couple of 90deg elbows to clear the shaft. Scored a freebie aussie desert cooler radiator today 5row so looking at using that instead of commodore unit. been working on a dual battery set up on a slide out rack to mount in the engine bay for ease of access & weight replacement for the lack of drive train the only weight is the diff center so the rear is really bouncy. I will post some pics when it's finished have to make mounting bracket tomorrow so I can align it all. all for now
ernie

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:08 pm

G'day all. Spent some time fitting rodeo rear bar & carrier the mounting brackets slide inside the chassis rails just need to trim some off them to allow the bar to move up 40mm. I have unbolted the carrier to move the wheel to the centre. It will let the engine lid & tailgate open when it's swung back there are brush bars under rear panels the will need to be shortened to clear tyres you can just see 1 in the pic of bracket. Once the bracket is in the correct position just the matter of drilling chassis & tubing it to bolt up then sand blasting to clean up.
Another plus is the radiator xmember support will bolt to the lower inner brackets. All for now.
ernie

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:44 pm

G'day all. Spent 1/2 hour to cut & lengthen tyre mount to centre.

ernie norley

Postby ernie norley » Mon May 12, 2014 9:47 pm

G'day all. spent some time today setting up roll bar behind the front seats. Going to use the existing whirlybird on the roof above the bar assembly instead of external snorkel type of thing. Will have s bend & drain in the bottom to dump water coming in thru the vent run air into air inlet into engine box it will fit using flexible storm water tube & run down the right side of the bar into the engine box with a quick disconnect set up yet to be designed. I spent some time setting up a suby box behind a commy v6 should be pretty straight forward to build going to be sorting it out for manufacture while in Sydney for the nationals. should be ideal for kombi's as a second choice to suby motor but giving the 5th gear over kombi box. pics tomorrow
ernie

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”