Nate's Manxter Build

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Nate's Manxter Build

Postby Vduboy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Shortened the cages lower legs to mount to the old transmission mount bracket. Got it precariously balancing on the bench while I tack it for welding.
IMG_3573manxclub.jpg
Cage shortening

IMG_3582manxclub.jpg
Frame horn brace

IMG_3581manxclub.jpg
Engine mount/cage mount
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
bajabone
Manx Jnr

Postby bajabone » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:26 pm

That is the cleanest gearbox I've every seen!
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:25 am

Wicked mate. Pretty cool balancing act too - master in action :D
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:50 am

bajabone wrote:That is the cleanest gearbox I've every seen!

That's not my work, that is how I got it from Todd. Makes the rest of the buggy look filthy! Wait till he sees the filthy motor I bolt to it!! :twisted:
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Nice!.... Can appreciate the issues of trimming the pipework to those angles,....if that was me I'd definitely be having to call for the gapcraft rods to weld it up with...Good job :)
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Suby has had a minor dummy spit at the thought of being stripped for it's heart and nerves and the alternator/handbrake light have started flickering on the way to the docs this arvo, and as it is a cheapo alternator on there which I always am sus about I think i'll be replacing it while the motor is out with a good one. Any particular brands to steer towards or away from?
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Had a good weekend ripping into suby, got its heart and nerves out in a box for a lot of man hours of love turning into something useful for the buggy.
Pulled out everything else I needed as well, fuel pump, tank straps, interior lights, I really wanted to use the heater and blower out of the suby too but it was bloody huge! There was no way I could make it fit in my buggy. I guess I'll be getting one of those aftermarket heater core blower things instead.
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Nearly there then.... :D
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Bought a vintage air heater/demister to go in the buggy, had to do a little thinking to get it to work in with my designed cooling system.
Subaru runs a full flow heater core as part of the thermostat loop and without it would soon overheat. And controls the heat by altering the flow of air through the core.
The vintage air unit throttles the coolant through the core to control heat so if id had the heater off the thermostat would never open and the motor would cook.
So I figured out a quick solution where I can use two tee pieces hooked up in a H fashion as a heater core bypass.
This won't be ideal for the heater when the motor is cold but should still work ok.
Eventually I want to use possibly two of the variable water taps but operating opposite each other so as I open flow to the heater core the bypass is closed and vice versa.
Will think about that more later.
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

BBTJ wrote:Nearly there then.... :D

Not quite bud! Still a #%@# tonne of stuff to do! And I keep adding to the list... speaking of lists I should do one..!
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Yep, I remember it well :D . I wrote my list on the front of the bar fridge as I was back and forward to it quite a lot :shock: Probably more so to the fridge not the list... :lol:
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:40 pm

:lol: I had to move mine inside for the same reasons! :oops:
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Been cleaning up the motor and resealing any minor leaks it had, quite amazing how little there was actually, considering the motor has 190k on it!
I did the timing belt and tensioners, waterpump, rocker gaskets and filler o'ring. One thing I did find is the whoever did the last timing belt almost killed the motor by installing the tensioner roller with the plastic washer under the bolt head the it comes with to keep it all together in the box. The bolt was finger tight ready to wind its way out! :roll:
Bought some intake and coolant manifold gaskets for piece of mind too.
Got a new clutch kit to go in as soon as I get the motor back on the engine crane. Tested the TPS as well and think I found my hunting throttle issue. I have ordered a replacement and waiting on a reply from the suby guy. Also ordered the metal version of the oil/air separator plate as the plastic ones are known to crack. I am waiting on Paul to get back from the states so I can swap the axles I got incorrectly for some exhaust bits to make up a decent stainless system.
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:22 am

Finished off the harness today, spent all day yesterday and till lunchtime today stripping off kilo's of plastic conduit, electrical tape, cable ties etc, removed all the unnecessary stuff, pulled all the plugs out of their respective pins so I could cover the harness in some nice pvc tubing. Buttoned it all back up so it is ready for when I get back from holidays! Really looking forward to driving this thing and now it will go like it should have from the start!
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 am

Back from the desert holiday and straight into the buggy, after I got over the nasty chest infection from the disgusting people on the plane.. :evil:
It seems like it is one step forward five backwards with this buggy every time I spin a spanner on it.
Got the motor in after I'd fit the new oil/air separator plate, new clutch, coolant manifold seals, intake gaskets, timing belt, pulleys and water pump.
After I took the flywheel off again to fit the silly tin cover that won't go on after due to the shortened sump :roll:
After all that bloody reversed throttle body hits the f@#king cage...! :evil: So that was a waste of money.
Ill stick it up soon to see if anyone needs one.
I have sorted out what to do to rectify the situation, need to cut a hole in the transmission hump cover and fibreglass it up when I have some clearance.
I have FINALLY got a complete air box in my buggy mounted up as well. It is a very tight fit but at least I have a waterproof intake system now.
I am not able to run the coolant lines as high as I wanted too but they will still be out of harms way.
Slowly moving forward I think! Getting edgy now I want to drive the bloody thing.

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”