Nate's Manxter Build

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

BBTJ

Re: Nate's Manxter Build

Postby BBTJ » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:17 pm

I sooo hear you with one forward and a few back :roll: but you will get there in the end and it will be choice 8)
I have managed to keep an engine in mine all summer :shock: and still runs like a clock (with super noisy lifters).
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:21 am

Stick to it dude, you'll get there!......but remember the golden rule....pics, or it didn't happen :lol:
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Here you go Pud!
IMG_3957manxclub.jpg
Motor in
IMG_3957manxclub.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

IMG_3966manxclub.jpg
Clearancing for the intake
IMG_3966manxclub.jpg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

IMG_3965manxclub.jpg
Found a spot for the overflow bottle
IMG_3965manxclub.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

Motor is in, found a spot for the over flow bottle, I have hidden the charcoal canister up high behind the air box,
I had to cut a big hole in the transmission cover so the intake tube had some clearance. Will seal it up soon.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Been finalising placements for all the things I have to jam in the engine bay, running out of room really quickly.
I have mocked up all the alloy cooling lines down the side of the buggy, waiting on a mate coming round to help with the alloy welding. Not to confident on something that has to hold the engines life blood just yet.
Also started making the mount for the bonnet to swing off since I had to cut that part off to fit the radiator. I had a look at where I am fitting the heater from vintage air too. That will be bloody tight too! I kinda wish my car was about 30% bigger. I wasn't paying the $600 some people wanted for a bead roller so I made my own. Will do the job I think.
IMG_3964manxclub.jpg
Intake tube all made up
IMG_3964manxclub.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

IMG_3963manxclub.jpg
Starting to fill up quickly
IMG_3963manxclub.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

IMG_3970manxclub.jpg
Bead roller
IMG_3970manxclub.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Looking good! Like the bead roller, looks as though it does the job nicely :) What size pipe did you end up running up to the rad?
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:39 pm

PUD wrote:Looking good! Like the bead roller, looks as though it does the job nicely :) What size pipe did you end up running up to the rad?

It worked well, I didn't even bother softening the pipes. Stock was 38mm I stepped it down to 32mm. Figured the extra pressure and added volume of the Subaru will make up for it. Plus I didn't have the room for 38mm pipes. Time will tell if I have stuffed up!!
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Got a far bit done this weekend even though it was 40 degrees in the garage.. Made up the mount for the bonnet, refit the cv's and axles and checked their clearance, all good thankfully. I went to fit my stiffer type 3 torsion bars that I bought years ago but it turns out I only have one stiffer spring and one stock one... :evil:
Seriously f@&k my luck sometimes! Also the bay window front shocks I bought to get a little extra droop out of the rear end are shorter than the ones on there now! So I just added a few
degrees on the spring plates to help with the extra weight out back now.
I also connected up the rest of the Ecu harness and all the idiot lights and gauges for the motor. I still haven't plugged the Ecu in yet as I need to still wire in the fuel pump and fans as well as the engine light.
I still need to do a bit more clearancing up the front for the radiator fan as well.
I made a throttle cable and modified the pedal so I get full throttle now. Also remotely mounted the reservoir for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder as I can no longer get to the tunnel opening with the radiator up front now. I also made a hump for the transmission hump cover thing so the intake pipe now has clearance.
Slowly getting there!
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Had a big day yesterday with my mate helping me weld up the cooling lines and a couple of small fittings for the heater.
Had another day in the garage today, mounted up the coolant lines, made up most of the heater lines as well, made the harness for the fan, hooked up a switch so I can turn the fan on manually (low speed) if I am tootling along for what ever reason. The ECU still has full control over the fan and turns it on when it sees fit (high speed).
Finally grew a pair and plugged the ECU in and turned the ignition on. I was going to do a full double check of all the pin outs but I didn't!
No smoke!! No crazy fault codes either. It cycles the fuel pump (just a light at this stage) just like it did in the donor.
I can't quite remember the outcome of the test connectors when the car was together, but I plug the blacks together and the fuel pump and fan cycles alternately and the check engine light blinks slowly. But not blinking a code. So happy days. If anyone can remember please chime in.
So still need to mount the fuel tank pop a couple of big holes in it for the fuel pump and the yet to be purchased sender. Mount the heater unit and wire that in, remake whatever doesn't fit around it.
Buy a muffler, catalytic converter, some shiny stainless and make it all one piece.
If anyone knows who makes a quiet stainless muffler in 2" please let me know!!
IMG_4004manxclub.jpg
pipe to radiator
IMG_4004manxclub.jpg (26.91 KiB) Viewed 2524 times

IMG_4005manxclub.jpg
cooling pipes yet to be mounted
IMG_4005manxclub.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 2524 times

IMG_4007manxclub.jpg
lower fill point
IMG_4007manxclub.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 pm

I have two fill points, a low one just under the air box on the suction side, and the high point in the car on the pressure side. I also have a bleed point on the radiator.
Hopefully that'll be enough to get all the air out. I don't have any bleeds on the heater/bypass lines but I think I won't need them. We'll see.

IMG_4010manxclub.jpg
Flex line in the wheel well
IMG_4010manxclub.jpg (26.14 KiB) Viewed 2523 times

IMG_4008manxclub.jpg
High fill point
IMG_4008manxclub.jpg (18.27 KiB) Viewed 2523 times

IMG_4020manxclub.jpg
Ecu all intact!
IMG_4020manxclub.jpg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:05 am

Wicked Nate, almost there 8) 8) 8). My twins are quiet as. Paul made them but I am sure you could knock a set up :D
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 am

BBTJ wrote:Wicked Nate, almost there 8) 8) 8). My twins are quiet as. Paul made them but I am sure you could knock a set up :D

What mufflers did he stick on for you bud? I am thinking 2" three core somethings in stainless.. but really don't know. Still waiting on some short headers to arrive so I can start some mocking up. Not a lot of room back there for everything..! :roll:
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Well I had the worst couple of weeks I have ever had, my wife and I had to put our beloved cat Misha down, she was almost 12 years old we have had her since she was 3. She got a virus and pneumonia just after we got back from holidays and just couldn't shake it. We are absolutely gutted. This has affected me so much more than losing my father a year ago.
Haven't really been in the mood to do anything but I have been forcing myself to get something done on the weekends at least.
All the small crap seems to take so long to do and get sorted but it is almost there.
Got the fuel lines all bent up and flared and connected, Made a heat shield/deflector for the radiator, as to not blow hot air through the dash, mounted the fan and wired them up.
Took a dirty great big hole saw to Paul's work of art, that beautiful fuel tank so I could mount the subaru fuel pump, I make up some quick release fuel fittings so I can undo the straps and have the tank out in under five minutes if need be. (makes topping up the reservoirs a lot easier.)
I was going to re use the ones out of the suby but figured out these fabric tie downs are a lot easier and neater. Will re use the rubber strap covers though.
IMG_4028manxclub.jpg
Radiator fan mounted
IMG_4028manxclub.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

IMG_4040manxclub.jpg
Heatshield
IMG_4040manxclub.jpg (40.04 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

IMG_4041manxclub.jpg
Tank straps
IMG_4041manxclub.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Started mounting the cooling lines and the heater lines today but ran out of them rubber coated 'p clamps'
Got one side done though. Had to crack out the hole saw again and punch two holes in the side of the car just in front of the pedals so I can get coolant to the yet to be fitted heater. Ended up having to recess the holes as the grommets supplied were obviously not meant for a thick fiberglass body and sat all funny. So I got covered in fiberglass once again.. (I thought I was done doing that?)
IMG_4036manxclub.jpg
Lines mounted
IMG_4036manxclub.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

IMG_4037manxclub.jpg
Recessed grommets
IMG_4037manxclub.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

IMG_4043manxclub.jpg
Fuel lines
IMG_4043manxclub.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:02 pm

I bought a shortened set of headers in stainless to build my exhaust from, really not impressed with them at all, I have never seen somebody so unimpressed with their tig welds that they have to be ground down.. and they are still too bloody long and foul on the cage. So it looks like I will just have to remake them as well. Should have just done that from the start. It looks like I will have to flange them just after the headers and bolt the short headers on before the motor mounts get bolted up. Hopefully won't have to pull too much stuff off to lift up the motor. :roll:
I got the intake system all finished too.
IMG_4044manxclub.jpg
Nasty headers
IMG_4044manxclub.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

IMG_4029manxclub.jpg
Intake all finished
IMG_4029manxclub.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
bajabone
Manx Jnr

Postby bajabone » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Am I allowed to ask where you bought headers from? No names if you want just area/state.

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”