Has been a busy little holiday period with a few trips away in the bus. But before that all happened there was a few things that needed to be attended to first.
Houdini back in the shed once again for some maintenance and upgrades.
Pulled both the axles out because I will be changing all of the CVs over.
But the first port of call was the rear brakes. Got some new shoes and new rear wheel cylinders as one was leaking. Also replaced the rear flexible lines, have been meaning to do this for a while and it was a good time while the fluid was out of the system.
While I had the CVs off I ran a tap through all the threads with a drill. But on one the stub spun around on me and snapped the tap off. Decided it was easy enough the undo the four bolts and drop the hub out given that the brake lines and handbrake cable were disconnected. I was fortunate that the tap was able to be knocked backwards out of the hole with a cold chisel.
While I had the hub off I could resist trying it in the "mega lift" position. You just bolt it on with the upper holes in the hub matched up to the lower holes in the spring plate and trailing arm. Gives some mighty big lift. A little out of the range of my CVs though I think
New brakes fitted up. And new soft lines.
Now it was onto the CVs. The CVs that I have in the bus at present are a bit of a mix. I think I have two original bus ones and two aftermarket fake Porsche 924/944 ones. I had a few dramas with the fake Porsche ones falling apart on Fraser Island. So I decided to pull the genuine Porsche ones that are in the Baja out and run them in the Bus for the time being. Getting decent CVs seems to be a real problem at present. Same goes for boots that don't want to split after 2 months (a story for another day)
So I pulled the axles from Alyce and pulled the CVs off. I cleaned one up to show the difference between the genuine ones and the cheap fake ones.
Cheap on the left and good one on the right.
Comparing the stars you can see the heat treatment marks on the good one.
In the cages there is a massive difference. The genuine one is about twice as thick and very stout. I have broken a number of the fake ones in the Baja and it was always the cage that broke apart.
The balls in the genuine CVs are actually smaller than the fake ones. They are supposed to be, smaller balls gives more angle. The balls in the fake ones are smaller than Kombi ones but not as small as proper Porsche ones. They are a weird in between size.
Lastly the main body of the genuine CV is a little bit wider, only a mil or two, but it is there. You probably can't tell from my shoddy camera work.
With the CVs and brakes sorted the next item on the list was oil cooler.
This is the second additional oil cooler that I have mounted up under the bus. It hasn't been in there for very long but it is coming out and getting changed to bigger one.
The replacement cooler and thermo fan. I wanted to change to a larger cooler simple so that I could fit a fan on top of it. I found at Fraser that slow chugging around on the inland tracks where you would be going slow with a moderate load on the engine would cause the oil temp to slowly creep up. I want a fan so I can keep some air flowing over the cooler even when I'm not moving very quickly.
Fan is 200mm and I presently just have it wired up to a relay with a switch on the dash. So I can turn it on or off. I am planning to add a thermostatic switch to the oil lines so the fan will come on at 80 or 85°C. But in the meantime I keep a pretty good eye on the temp and flick it on when needed. I can also turn it on beforehand if I know a big hill/obstacle/whatever is coming up.
Made up some mounts but it seems I didn't get a picture of it under the bus. It mounts in the same spot as the other one but horizontally with the fan on top. The fan is setup to push air down and through the cooler. I might even try some shrouding later on to create some low pressure below and behind the cooler to assist airflow.
One other thing I did was fit new front and rear shocks. Turns out that the front shocks that were on the bus are too short. Looks like they are bug ones going by the length. This would have been limiting my downtravel slightly on the front. And probably the reason why the front shocks quit working day three or Fraser
If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.