Geoff's buggy rebirth

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

BBTJ

Geoff's buggy rebirth

Postby BBTJ » Tue May 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi Guys,
The Sandy Maxfx is going through some changes...
EJ22, Subarugears, and a much needed colour change. Paul from steelart has hooked me up with most of the gear and I am ready to go, I think...... Pretty sure I am going to make some rookie mistakes, just hope they are not tooo expensive.
One last blast up the beach last weekend then the strip down began. Only took a couple of hours and it was in pieces, easy.

I booked the next day and went at it with the doner liberty - crap there is a lot of stuff to come out to get that valuable loom. Al at AM auto has it now turning it from the twisted pile I pulled out into something hopefully more useful.
I will post some more pictures when I get to the chassis painting stage
Any help through this will be very helpful me thinks as this kind of thing is waaaay outside my comfort and ability zone.
Oh yeah I bought some of that Plasti dip stuff to see how it goes on the body, I will keep you posted :!:

Cheers
BBTJ

Re: Geoff's buggy rebirth

Postby BBTJ » Tue May 12, 2015 2:29 pm

And I learned a new trick today

YESSSS :D
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Nice....lets get the show on the road.......

make sure you take plenty of pics.....one for others to see its not voodoo magic and two for you to look back on in years to come after you've been enjoying reliability and power.....

its well worth the investment and you will totally agree once you had your first drive......it will haul !!!

theres starting to be a few guys on here now who have done there conversion and will be more then happy to help with any questions and queries you may have,,,,remember there are no stupid questions

a lot of us have been on trips with this buggy and will be different seeing the back end of it in front of us

I'm sure steve will be only too happy to take it for a drive to see the new owner is improving it still....

awesome!!!! and good luck
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue May 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Yourself and Steve are welcome at my campfire anytime.
Pan; pretty sure it is a BBA one and it has held up amazingly well for the years, and the abuse I have inflicted.... probably a few times a week on the beach normally and never leaves on school hols :twisted: ,and not always rinsed as well as it should be :) so cudos to them. Going to get a few coats of rust bullet then upol raptor. Just got to figure out how without stripping everything back to pan only. I really dont want to remove all if I dont have to. My best guess is tip it on it side and go to it :D
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Looks like a fun rebuild, I have also recently done the switch in my SWB Manx, ej22 and 5 speed. Your not wrong about hauling ass, wait until you step on the pedal for the first time :shock:

Paul from Steel art did my conversion, so he is the man around here for the questions. I did my own loom, that was an experience.. but all good fun :lol:

wheres your radiator going, up front or down the back?
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed May 13, 2015 7:31 am

Radiator (PWR) at the back in a cool wing set up (steelart) with a fan that will suck a bird out of the sky(PWR).
First things first - gotta do the pan
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:33 pm

What is the bit on the chassis tunnel in front of the gear lever ?
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Thu May 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Only the best mod cons - removable centre console. Just slide it forward on the plate and hey presto - stolen.... :roll:
Soon to be fire extinguisher mount.
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue May 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Engine came out of the donor yesterday arvo - sitting ready for a clean up. Moved onto the buggy chassis and pulling off the front end. Got stuck on the stupid pedal assembly, how the bugger do these things come off #%@&.
Going home to get a bigger hammer onto it :twisted:
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue May 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Pedal assembly has 4 17mm head bolts holding it on to the tunnel ( 2 each side) pull them out and then undo the two bolts near the accelerator pedal linkage, disconnect the clutch cable from the hook in your tunnel and then move them out on an angle.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Wed May 20, 2015 5:51 am

spoke with Geoff yesterday and by the sounds of the the accelerator end of the shaft in the passenger foot well may have been mushroomed where the circlip is so trying to push the shaft through the support plate is proving to be difficult....

Steelart.com.au
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed May 20, 2015 7:43 pm

yep got it. Had to file the mushroom off the sticky through bit and hammer hard with a punch but I got it. but.... um... broke the plate thing that bolts onto the tunnel, so have to get a new one of those. And so it begins with the small costs :roll:
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 am

Got the pan stripped to here - Found that I have a centre adjuster, not sure if this is good or bad but it is there.

Next is a whole heap of sanding....and some rust bullet paint and Rhino liner.
New lot of goodies should be in from Paul soon and I can start thinking about putting it all together.

I also have a question on gauges - has anyone used the all in one gauges like these http://www.s3performance.com.au/buy/ace ... s/ACE-3969 and will they even work with the Subaru set up. If not what are some good alternatives.

Thanks guys
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue May 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi Geoff, good to see another build starting up! I have used those gauges on motorbikes, they are ok, tacho is next to useless, they can be configured to run various fuel senders etc, and have a few choices for idiot lights around the outside. Not a fan of individual gauges? Or stuck for space?
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 am

Look into the Speedhut Gauges. these come with a lifetime warranty and also come with the senders you need, I have used the quad gauges from them as well if you are short on space (as we all tend to be with buggy dashes) which seem to be the neatest solution.

bang for buck they win by far....you can also customise the faces with pictures or graphics or logos etc of your choice as well as lighting colours,needle and number colours which is something not many gauge manufacturers offer you.

I dont particularly like the digital dashes only from the perspective of keeping an eye on everything with your peripherals. watching a bar graph for tacho and watching the speedo reading "88" whilst accelerating gives me no feedback as to where you are actually sitting compared to a needle...I lost interest in modern motorbikes over the digital displays for this reason :x

the speedhut guages also come with shift light function and also have leds on their faces for high beam and turn signals and also a pot for dimming the dash lights
oh and the speedo is a gps unit so no need for any wiring , sensors or cable convertors etc etc

Steelart.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”