Geoff's buggy rebirth

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Re: Geoff's buggy rebirth

Postby BlueV2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:18 pm

By "breather" do you mean the original Subaru gearbox filler and dip stick hole ? If so then this needs to be blanked off completely. Because the crown wheel is now on the opposite side of the gearbox it now throws oil straight at the filler tube and will just pump it all out unless it is closed off completely. I used a rubber chair foot that you can get from any hardware store. That and a clamp is all you need.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks guys and happy new year :!: :!: :!: It runs 8) 8) 8) Sooo cool, and smooth, and really quiet with the twins too
I have mechanically pulled up the idle just so I can run it with the kids for a few weeks :twisted: and I will have a look at all the sensors and other gremlins then.
The breather is a the one sent through on the long hose and it is (was) up under the far right of the wing where the radiator cap is. I have chucked it in a bottle to see how much is coming out and if it is just finding its own level, and yes Blue the oil filler is completely blanked off - it came with a cap on it

Number plates are on, power slides are go.

manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 am

all of the effort, hard work, and endless things to do will soon be a thing of the past, the ej install sees a few stages.....

1. the reason - vw motor - either broken being a pain or cost is snowballing out of control for not much hp

2. the purchase - buying a motor in this case a subarugears box as well, the trinkets, the hose clamps the fuel lines etc they add up but every part is a lot more modern and easier to get.

3. coming to terms with the money that seems to be disappearing....with no real return or end in sight at the moment starting to stress, have i made the right choice?

4. starting to look like a subaru conversion but still not running - excited but patience dying still wondering if on the right track or been lead astray by money hungry businessmen

5. the research - I need what now? subaru conversion evolution, constantly evolving bit by bit.

6. the wires - where does this go....work through and eventually you'll run out

7. putting some fire in the wire - sometimes pending a few variables, motors start straight up and need nothing else, pending age, condition , time since last run, storage prep, etc in most cases a couple of human caused dramas will exist often results of poor storage of motors, mud wasps, etc a brain fart moment during install, yeah that was after beer 3

8. the fine tune - this is where it runs but is the nervous moment as you wait for the thermo fan to kick in as the temp gauge quickly rises. most problems here are human errors such as incorrectly set, or relating back to stage 7. realising you aren't getting full throttle at the motor always a good one...

9. wallet out of intensive care and starting to regain much needed weight....

10. the years of trouble free enjoyment knowing that if the motor dies a few hundred bucks and a weekend of swapsies is all your in for....so far I'm at about 8 years on the same ej22

well done mate, good news its a goer...enjoy
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Cheers Paul, had a good giggle at point 4 :lol:
Took it down for a quick skid session (first one) between mowing front and back lawns. Biiiiiig difference in slidability :shock:
Going to run it for few weeks with the kids, then go over the bugs......then PLASTIDIP. I am really keen to have a go at this stuff - has anyone had a crack before???
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Holidays are done, heaps of runs, now for the bugs;
Got to figure out the idling problem
Engine seems to go into some kind of limp mode - or drops a cylinder :( - Loses a lot of power under low to mid rev load.
Pretty sure the alternator is cactus - or the charge circuit isn't working
And other little things to do with wiring circuits.
Then PLASTIDIP
Other than that I'm still stoked. So much fun. 8)
Cheers
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Toddy has been toiling away this week working out the bugs including some plumbing issues that MAY have been my fault :roll: :oops:. Sorted out the idling and charging, weird flat spot, lights, blinkers, AND fixed the dash console so it has speed, temp, tacho and all the other ADR bits. :shock: :D.
He has also re-plumbed the gearbox breather to stop it spitting all it's oil up - moving to having it come out of the filler position plumbed up high with breather on top.

Absolute legend. He really really is.

Get it back this Saturday. Pumped.
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:06 pm

So how did you go, get it back for the weekend Geoff? Hope you've got all the teething problems sorted :)
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Yep, it is back at home. Got home just in time for a few slides before the rain. Did 5.4 km's on odo in 1.8 lineal km's at an average speed of 87.6 km/hr. :twisted: I guess the wheel speed was more than the actual speed cause I would have guessed not more than 40.... :D
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 pm

BBTJ wrote:Yep, it is back at home. Got home just in time for a few slides before the rain. Did 5.4 km's on odo in 1.8 lineal km's at an average speed of 87.6 km/hr. :twisted: I guess the wheel speed was more than the actual speed cause I would have guessed not more than 40.... :D

Hahaha video or it didn't happen! :twisted:
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:56 am

I did a bit of Paddleboarding with the kids - think I have nailed the transport 8)
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:54 pm

That's great.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering