Geoff's buggy rebirth

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

BBTJ

Re: Geoff's buggy rebirth

Postby BBTJ » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:41 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks PUD the diagram might be what I need to get cracking on it, as for the steering wheel I am trying to keep the smaller one that was already in the buggy.
Vduboy, mate as far as I can see it will fit, I think..... Willing to take a gamble :D Let me know what you want for it.
As for the buggy, I did a little bit with the linkages with the old man on the weekend (thanks BlueV2 for the photos and ideas). Well to be honest I just sort of stood there all hung-over and nodded when grandpa made a suggestion.
AAAAAAND put the car down off the jack onto my camera - BUGGER.
Cheers guys
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 am

A bugger about the camera, recon you'd better soon head out & get a replacement, as you know we all thrive on pics :D PM me your email & I'll flick you through that wiring diagram, good luck with it all :) Pud
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:42 am

BBTJ wrote:Hi Guys,
Thanks PUD the diagram might be what I need to get cracking on it, as for the steering wheel I am trying to keep the smaller one that was already in the buggy.
Vduboy, mate as far as I can see it will fit, I think..... Willing to take a gamble :D Let me know what you want for it.
As for the buggy, I did a little bit with the linkages with the old man on the weekend (thanks BlueV2 for the photos and ideas). Well to be honest I just sort of stood there all hung-over and nodded when grandpa made a suggestion.
AAAAAAND put the car down off the jack onto my camera - BUGGER.
Cheers guys

Just send me your address mate and ill send it out to you.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Cheers Vduboy. much appreciated. Let me know when you are down this way and I will take you for a run on our beach :D
Booked in to do a few things on old sandy this weekend :D and will take photo's with my NEW CAMERA. :x
Hoping to get the linkages done and a body demo fit with new "windscreen support frame".
I will let you know how I go hey.
Getting excited again.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Looking good, how did you get on with the clutch fork seal ?

You using the factory ECU ?
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:03 am

Brad wrote:Looking good, how did you get on with the clutch fork seal ?

You using the factory ECU ?

There is a Subaru wrecker about an hour away and he said if i am silly enough to drive all that way for one i can have so it - sweet 8)
And yep using the factory ECU - this wiring thing is really daunting for me to have a crack at hey, and i have heard horror stories of people getting ripped off big time to out source a job like this....Gonna have to make a decision soon though one way or the other. :D
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Are you thinking of out sourcing the whole wiring job or just the subaru loom part?

AM Auto will cut down the loom and pull out all the stuff you don't need and send it back. There on the Sunshine Coast.
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Anybody got any advice on the clutch - only get a tiny amount of pull from the vw pedals, I am sure this is normal but it just seems such a small distance to what the subarugears has movement.

Yeah Vduboy I got AM to cut the loom down, it's only everything else :shock: I want to put all the bits and ecu in an ammo box under the rear seat so it is accessible, and there relays and fuses and wires and plugs and ARGH :cry:
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Wire it yourself, you will be fine, take your time, take a few deep breaths and if you have any issues just post them here and we will help you out. I have a buggy loom down to 10 hrs drive in drive out for a basic now so it can be done in a day :)
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:28 pm

G'day again guys.
Got the clutch sorted and decided to bite the bullet and get it wired by Toddy101. Sorry Brad just could not get my head around all the variables of failure :oops:
All loaded up for the trip to Newcastle and pretty dang excited :D

Pretty pumped to see his monster (buggy) as well.
DDWR450F
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby DDWR450F » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:53 pm

This buggy looks awesome, I think I'm the only one still running an air cooled engine Bloody Brad & Paul lol
Lifes too Short
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:12 am

Yeah, umm, I did get a fair bit of encouragement on that....with 2 blown motors :roll: . You must be pretty happy with yours looking so fine and running ..... and mine is still on a trailer :cry: . Pretty sure they are the same era MaxFx too. Wannna race. :twisted:
DDWR450F
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby DDWR450F » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Hahaha yeah what number Body is yours I'd say it's an early one like mine, from memory I think men was #3 body built.
Great looking buggies can't wait to see yours back in the road!!

Nah mines no racer it's just a reliable daily driver......
Lifes too Short
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:00 am

DDWR450F wrote:This buggy looks awesome, I think I'm the only one still running an air cooled engine Bloody Brad & Paul lol

its all about when you wish to get off the air-cooled merry go round......some people enjoy the ride spending oodles of money in the attempt to create a reliable motor with a bit of go, let down by cheap parts out of china, cost of building and the knowledge is a dying art so for people who can't do it themselves they end up forking out small fortunes but never quite get what they want......

Subarus are cheap reliable,various levels of power and when you turn the key they start and go brooooom......dont really care if they don't get serviced. however the investments in the setup not so much the motor.

my ej22 is going on 8 years now was second hand when i got it. poor motors been coping a hiding for that long and still goes first pop...

having said that it is annoying to have a spare ej22 sitting in my shed awaiting the day the motor goes booooom knacker knacker....been tripping over the spare for so long now not sure if thats a bad problem to have haha

Westwood is still on the air-cooled merry go round. yep his baja bus is subaru powered, he raced baja in a ej25 powered towd and loved the power, and is still on the air-cooled merry go round with the towd but we can't all be winners haha

my towd is air-cooled hmmm...just realised that..... ha...guess i know where the spare ej22 is going....

im not against air cooled i think they are cool when they run- I'm against the merry go round....... money money money more money, machining of case etc wait wait wait, more money, tuning, couple of months of joy, money, tuning, money, constant maintenance, money, more power, money, oil leaks, money, runs hot, money, cooling mods, money, carby problems, money, tuning, money, end up buying injection kit, money, creates more cooling issues, money , extra hp breaks cheap chinese parts, money, buy better chinese parts, money, buy non chinese parts, money money, tuning, money, better performance, fuel money, clutch slips, towing money, bigger clutch, money, pig to drive sedately, detune it, money, leak forms under car, case cracked, salvage some parts and start again return to money money money more money however this time you won't need to purchase some parts you can salvage off the old one so it won't be as bad this time...but your oil pump and cam gears show bad wear so we probably should change them.
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
DDWR450F
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby DDWR450F » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Damn that's a novel Paul lol
Lifes too Short

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”