Geoff's buggy rebirth

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

BBTJ

Re: Geoff's buggy rebirth

Postby BBTJ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah mate it has definitely been discussed but my donor car was an auto and I thought it would be cost prohibitive to source all the bits associated - unless someone can tell me they are cheap and easy to get.... :D
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 pm

So if your donor car is an auto, does it now have a clutch cable tube in it ?
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:05 pm

BBTJ wrote:Cheers BlueV2 - I will have to have a think about the clutch cable, Subarugears is sending me a bracket soon (I hope) that goes along the lines of a Bowden tube, but am really interested in this lever idea if you have a picture.

Played a little bit with the steering last night and assessed Uni's vs Rigid and rag coupling. The uni definitely had its advantages (angles), but as mentioned had play or a 'soft' feel - which can be fixed with bracing. The rigid/coupler seems good but will check tonight with a more comprehensive mock up.
Have also decided to remove the standard steering wheel and fit a smaller one so Vduboy if you still have that boss kit let me know.

Yep I do, I will try and dig it out on the weekend and get the number off it so we can see if it is the right one for you.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:02 am

BlueV2 wrote:So if your donor car is an auto, does it now have a clutch cable tube in it ?

The donor Subaru is an auto but the buggy is manual so yes it has the clutch tube through the tunnel.

Cheers for having a look for the boss Vduboy.

Last night, bugger, my kingdom for a circlip :evil: Went from completing the brake lines, callipers and master cylinder and setting up the pedal cluster for a final look at how clever I am moment...... to spending 2 hours rummaging through everything everywhere looking for the retaining friggin circlip. Cracked the shits and packed it in to spend another few hours lying in bed thinking of all the spots it could be. I hate that clip.
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Of course, I wasn't thinking straight, of course the donor car is the Subaru, not the donor car that is now the buggy chassis ! lol

PM me your email address and I will send you the pictures of the lever setup I made.
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Cheers for the photos Mark. Thumbs up to that idea.

I have been doing a bit lately.... who wants to see some photos :D
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:10 pm

OK, OK,
Cut body

And installed the drive shafts - they lined up pretty good
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Did a steering mock up with the old dash frame and had a thought about the steering coupling - seems to work really well :D
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:27 pm

And put the wheels on :D
Yes, its a roller 8)
I put heavy duty torsion bars in and have the adjusters wound right out and get this on the right.
An this on the left.
There is a bit of weight to go on yet but is this enough off the bottom or should I pull it all off and go down one spline???
How far are they supposed to be up at rest???
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 pm

I would leave that until you get the rest of the weight on there mate. You still have a heap to put on it. You probably want about 1/3 travel used with all your buggies weight on there.
Just so you have some droop left over too.
Are you planning to weld that adapter to the steering column?
Looking good though!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:54 am

G'day Geoff, been getting any time in recently to work on the build? she's looking sweet! :D Pud
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Sorry guys, have spend very little time in the shed lately - you know, work, holidays, family :roll: . Suffering a bit from stagnation as well as I got to a point i.e. wiring and everything just stopped cause I am totally winging it.
I did have time to meet Paul at HO and pick up some thing 181 arms that will look cool I think 8) . I will get in to it and post some pics hey
Hey Vduboy did you get a chance to look for that boss kit?
Cheers
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 pm

BBTJ wrote:Sorry guys, have spend very little time in the shed lately - you know, work, holidays, family :roll: . Suffering a bit from stagnation as well as I got to a point i.e. wiring and everything just stopped cause I am totally winging it.
I did have time to meet Paul at HO and pick up some thing 181 arms that will look cool I think 8) . I will get in to it and post some pics hey
Cheers

Hey mate, yes I did, but I forgot who I said I'd get it for! I'd been looking through the forum and couldn't find it! Ill get the numbers off it so you can make sure it fits.
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 am

BBTJ wrote:Sorry guys, have spend very little time in the shed lately - you know, work, holidays, family :roll: . Suffering a bit from stagnation as well as I got to a point i.e. wiring and everything just stopped cause I am totally winging it.
Cheers

hehe, yeah, I can totally relate to all of the above but stick to it, summer's nearly here :D If it's any help, Ernie Norley sent me a wiring diagram for an ej/vw a while back, can flick it through if you like. Also in all the boxes of bits found an STi momo steering wheel (no boss) you can have if it suits your needs, although I don't think it's much smaller than a standard liberty one (measures about 370mm)
P1020712.jpg
P1020714.jpg
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Vduboy wrote:
Cheers

Hey mate, yes I did, but I forgot who I said I'd get it for! I'd been looking through the forum and couldn't find it! Ill get the numbers off it so you can make sure it fits.

Hey Geoff, that boss kit is a saas one, I have a autotecnica button with it as well, the part number is BK191L is has the horn ring contact as well. Let me know if it'll suit your column. Should be able to check out the Saas or supercheap auto's site for a fitment listing

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”