Geoff's buggy rebirth

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

josh702
Manx Jnr

Re: Geoff's buggy rebirth

Postby josh702 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:14 pm

That's true passion right there, but yeah subaru all the way :lol:
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:38 pm

All dropped off safe. It was interesting to put the manufacturers (Sharpbuilt, Manxster and MaxFX) together and see the body style wins and losses of each.
All running various Subaru's with Subarugears 'box's so my 2 cents on style. 8)
MaxFX - Only one running flat windscreen and definitely LOOKS longer due to the front and rear guards being shorter, so it appears more 'stretched' in the middle. It looked wider than the others but that is probably the big offset wheels I have, and overall the body has a more angular appearance for a more classic look.
Sharbuilt - probably looked the most squat (shorter in the centre)- longer rear guards and deeper engine compartment definitely gave it fantastic lines and a more hidden engine look. The more rounded (curvy :wink: Classic coke bottle lines)of the trio especially with the curved windscreen which also gives it the appearance of a shorter nose. Andrew's has side pods which for me the jury is still out but they seems to suit the look of this one.
Manxster - This was the least advanced in build (massive cool engine hanging out the back though) but you can still see the lines of body and cage. I really think it has all the right curves and angles with the integrated cage to be stand alone beautiful. It seems the only one to have the cage designed to compliment the style and looked fantastic. The rears of the others were better shaped(my opinion and the wing was not fitted) but Andrews light mods were sick and a clear winner.
Overall having them all together was cool as I would like my rear guards extended forward to shorten up the middle and have the lines and body position a bit taller in the rear like the Sharbuilt. If I am still going I probably would like the Sharbuilt rear cover, manxster wing and Andrew's custom light setup. I like the flat windscreen and front end of the MaxFX and classic lines and bonnet but am definitely going to save my moolah and get some bar work done to replicate the ones of the manxster :roll: ....And it goes on and on.... :wink:
Big thanks to Andrew for taking the time to go through them all. Looking forward to getting it back now 8)
Cheers
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Some good points Paul, but isn't everything going to become a dying art unless somebody continues to do it? I suppose the subarus will have the same fate eventually to, they'll become a outdated motor that Subaru doesn't want to support, and I'm sure they are just as expensive to rebuild too.. ? For me I quite like the tinkering every now and again and don't get me started on oil leaks! But yeah if it was a daily driver I'd be seriously considering a Subaru.
My road bike is a complex three cylinder injected 850cc with abs, tcs, etc. But I'd never like all that dribble on the buggy.. Weird I know!
I don't know if it's a character thing? I kinda get the shits with the hipsters at work for spouting that line with their bobber choppers etc... So maybe I'm just a hypocrite! :lol:
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 am

Good healthy comments, observations, opinions & chat guys! Top stuff, enjoyed reading it, :D Pud
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:49 am

yeah its all quite funny when you think about it,

I daily drive a patrol thats all mechanical, no computer - bar the cd player and the button that controls the fuel transfer pump other then that all mechanical, my manx however is full of electronics haha

westwood on the other hand has a more modern patrol with computers electric everything and so forth but the towd will be all mechanical....

theres no right or wrong answer just you have to watch how much time and effort you really want to spend and where you want reliability.

subarus are still being built and improved to date so not too worried about running out of support on them....most workshops will happily fault find and repair subarus and most engine re builders know how to build them id run out of fingers quick...

vws however i think i would still have fingers left after i count the guys still in the game..... biggest drama is cheap parts....not so much the mechanics....they can only replace parts with whats available....
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:14 pm

lol :P , really sorry guys, I know its not fair but couldn't help myself, just happened to drive up beside this about 10 minutes ago... :lol:
P1020913.jpg

Hope the wiring on the buggy gets sorted with ease Geoff and on with the build :)
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:43 pm

PUD wrote:lol :P , really sorry guys, I know its not fair but couldn't help myself, just happened to drive up beside this about 10 minutes ago... :lol:

That pic is pretty deceptive PUD, there could be an Ej under that deck lid haha… we will never know :lol:

When are you looking at getting the buggy back Geoff?
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:00 am

its sitting to high and the pea shooter exhaust say otherwise :) my guess is its on its way to toddy to be wired for a subi :lol:

Steelart.com.au
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:02 am

Toddy is having a red hot crack at the wiring for me now...Then I bring it home and Curly's young bloke is doing some fab work then piece it all together - bingo - finished for xmas. And a big cheers to Curly as well for lending me the trailer or it might have ended up on a flatbed.
DD I had a look through the paperwork and found a certificate from Jan 03 saying my body number is NO...... 2003 and there is nothing I can see on the body to identify so I can't tell what it is early/late V1/V2. oh well just have to accept cool :D
And thanks Paul that is another thing I have to do is pull the rear down and reset to get it level. Is it worth notching the spring plates(how much?) to get the extra lift while is all apart and what are the ramifications eg longer shocks? cv angles?
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:00 am

Buggy is back in the shed and ready for the final push to finish for Christmas. One issue I found AFTER cutting the alloy tank - cut on the left side looking at it- is the pump seems to be upside down to fit (fuel lines point up) and the fuel gauge bit has no hope as it hard up against the rear of the tank.... So my question is, have I cut it on the wrong side, how do I get the fuel gauge float to fit, are there aftermarket floats and how do they fit? Soooo bummed, what are my options from here :?
Cheers
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Wondering if you got things sorted Geoff, I guess the worst scenario would be if your cut-outs are wrong'd be to get a patch plate tigged in & start again?? Is it the subi pump & sender unit you're using?
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Did it this way - put a small bracket to relocate 90degs and out about 50mm. Fits now :D Just have to see if it works :wink:

All I have now is everything else but that - photos to come
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:32 am

It fits and seems to work :D well the gauge shows what I expect to be in the tank

Fitted up the rear wing/radiator set up. The wing stand off pieces are air con risers and work pretty good I reckon.

Put some perforated ally sheet over it all and viola. 8)

Fitted up the 50 cal ammo box under the seat for the fuses and ecu - out of the way and watertight

Put the dash unit in - Toddy has been great helping me out here wiring wise.

Nearly there 8)
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Got it started and running....sort of. So so so close. Couple of questions guys.
No idle, just stalls out straight away :(

Also have oil coming out of the Subarugears oil breather, not sure what is going there but it is up high and full length of tube with gearbox only full to visual level 1/3 up on the sight glass

Any advice greatly appreciated :idea:
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 am

engine stalling > check your idle air control valve, make sure all your breathers are connected, fuel pressure and you have got your high pressure hose on the correct port ie and the return to tank comes off the reg, does your fuel pump run in the test cycle as with your thermofans? ? ( two green connectors with your test plug?) are you getting an engine fault if so plug the black connectors into each other then count the blinking lights to see what number fault you have...

where is the breather on the subarugears box? will have a look at joshes as it was in the same batch so should be similar...

Steelart.com.au

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”