Getting Matties old buggy home - & other stuff

General Buggy Chat

Moderator: manxiberty

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Getting Matties old buggy home - & other stuff

Postby Vduboy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Top stuff, definitely plenty to see over there! How massive are the meals there too!?
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeah, not wrong about the meals, could munch through mine alright, but the Mrs. & kids would only do a portion of theirs, don't like seeing waste :roll: so by the time you got through their left overs it was forever a struggle to move :lol: recon put on a good 5kg! :o
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm

I had a high blood sugar and headaches when I got back, it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am

G'day all, haven't been on here for a little while....sadly it doesn't take long to catch up on unread posts nowdays :( ....

Not often Chubby gets to reside in the home garage...
P1080299.jpg
...You might have guessed, the Mrs is away at the moment... :lol:

Just wondering who's the best reference for buggy bits nowdays? Is Paul and Downsouth still doing the bits and pieces for conversions etc? Have heard a guy I know locally has recently sourced a rego'd buggy ex Mainland, (haven't seen it yet, don't even know what it is, only know its air cooled) when I do catch up with him, would like to help him out getting contacts etc. Pud
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 pm

The kids have been mowing the lawn on their own now for the last couple of years
P1050498.jpg

Thought it's about time to ramp it up a bit, chocked 'em up on a bean bag so they could reach the pedals & away they went! :D
P1080333.jpg
P1080338.jpg
P1080320.jpg
Got to be happy with that :D
I probably wont get to drive it much from now on though whenever we're off road! :lol:
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 am

:D Sweet as mate. My kids love driving mine. Bean bag is a great idea - I have a an old chair cushion to move them forward in the seat.
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:04 pm

That is great. Always good for kids to leave to drive as early as possible. I need a bigger back yard than what I have though! :-)
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:36 pm

G'day all, has been a while, hoping all is well in Sunny Queensland :)

Thanks Dave (Water rat) for doing the local delivery of the goods! Haven't got them to Tassie yet but hopefully they won't be far away... :D
Comparison.jpg

As mentioned, guessing this is about where things will end up... :shock:
P1080407.jpg

Kind of matches the front...looking forward to it! Haven't done much with ol' chubby for a while, not long & it'll be warming up a bit down here & will be getting in amongst it!!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Yep, gettin a bit of motivation now,.... new arms are in transit, ....weather's warmin up....!!
Been poking around the shed to see what's about... (I'm a tight prick, should just order/ purchase something to suit :roll: :lol: ), dug out some shocks,
P1080534.jpg
P1080534.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 513 times
the short ones are similar to standard at 410 odd extended, the other big ones are 520ish with 140 stroke, pretty sure the 3x2 arms don't have the shock mount so may be able to adapt something to suit... know nothing about the correct damping/ spring rates etc but fairly keen to do a combination of the spring over bit & back the torsions off to suit, realise might have to strengthen the top shock mount too.... be all a bit of trial & error....but isn't this (to some) what buggyin is all about??...take 'em out,.... flog 'em, ...fix/ repair/ improve 'em,.... then do it all again... :lol:

Edit- please excuse the home made spring compressors...crude... but they work..., as mentioned, I'm a tight prick :lol:
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:34 pm

8) 8) 8) Huge. That will look maaad :D
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 am

Spring is here!! ...Snubber time :?

Am about to have a go at making something out of This...
P1080559.jpg

To weld onto This...
P1080560.jpg

to hopefully look similar & do the same thing as This....
P1080556.jpg

To hopefully prevent This...
P1030204.jpg

All the while knowing I should bite the bullet & just fit up This...
007 (3).jpg

Anyway, had better stop beating around the bush, what I was actually wondering, does anyone know if the torsion leaves in the countrybuggy front end are the same as the beetle ones? They've beefed up the front beam on the countrybuggy in a few places for more off road capabilities, was wondering if they might have heavier torsion springs too??
The reason am hesitant to swap out the whole beam with the cb one with the nicely gusseted snubbers is mainly that am doubting the bolts holding the beam on the buggy have ever been moved since original fitup in the factory back in'63, & with the playing around in the salt & sand over the last decade or two, might be opening up a can of worms if try to remove them...so at the mo am thinking will just fit up some sort of bumpstop snubber to the beam in the buggy, but if the torsions were different could easily change them out too,,,,
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 pm

That didn't end up too hard,....not sure what I've been stressin about :roll: :lol:
P1080563.jpg
P1080567.jpg
All good for topping the suspension out, not sure where it sits with bottoming it out though, pads are plenty thick enough to shave a bit off if needed, will fit a couple of gussets then give it a run..
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:01 am

Sweet as, great solution. Have been thinking about this for a while myself..... and now I know how 8) 8) 8)
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:05 am

BBTJ wrote:Sweet as, great solution. Have been thinking about this for a while myself..... and now I know how 8) 8) 8)

G'day BBTJ, if I were you, probably wouldn't rush into doing yours just yet, lets just see how it works & how durable they are with a bit of punishment :twisted: , only reason I mucked around with this was because the old snubber brackets had been cut off... actually should have done it ages ago...

Finished one side off, be good to have a tig.....be better still if I knew how to use one.. :lol:
P1080570.jpg

Just need to try to make another one to look the same for the other side :?
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Fresh arrival :D
P1080571.jpg

:shock: :? 8)
P1080575.jpg

Look like good quality items :D... seem rather heavy though, but guessing a lot of that'd be the disc etc, ...likin it :D
P1080573.jpg

Return to “Buggy Related Chat”