Getting Matties old buggy home - & other stuff

General Buggy Chat

Moderator: manxiberty

PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Getting Matties old buggy home - & other stuff

Postby PUD » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 am

Am hoping for some advice/ suggestions from anyone in the know this sort of stuff..... I did my time years ago as an "electrical fitter", although the "fitter" side of it only really gave enough knowledge to be dangerous :lol:
Anyway, have pulled the arms to pieces for a look, and really surprised at it having taper roller bearings fitted.
P1080581.jpg

It's my understanding that taper rollers are great for increased loading, especially end loads, but require setting with preload, too much preload (too tight) may cause bearing to bind & run hot, too little preload causing float/ movement in the axle, in turn with this case, causing the disc rotor to have movement potentially causing brake issues, wear, etc. In this instance on the rear stub axle I'm guessing the spacer length between the two bearing cups would be absolutely critical, as its not like the front axle which has a floating bearing cup with the bearing preload being set by how much you tighten the axle nut, where as the nut on the back stub axle needs to be tightened right up to lock off the drive spline (I think to be somewhere around 250 footpounds, which am thinking is basically coming right onto it with a 3/4 drive socket with a breaker bar & pipe off the end of it :shock: ). So am guessing if the spacer length is out either way, there may be problems.
Been looking at the standard setup,
P1080578.jpg
P1080580.jpg
that looks like it runs a standard ball bearing on the inner (to handle the end loads) with a roller bearing on the outer. Imagine this roller bearing is for increased loads on the outer, and would also allow for a bit of end float on the outer bearing once the axle nut had been flogged tight...

Anyway I guess my question is, am wondering if it would be better to revert back to the standard bearing setup as am not convinced I have the skills to measure & shim the taper rollers it to get it right... Suppose what I should do is put it back together, tighten the stub axle to specs & see how the preload is... as I mentioned, the whole thing looks like it's well built by someone professional, so the spacer length for preload may have already been sorted/ checked....
Any input anyone??? Thanks, Pud
WaterRat

Postby WaterRat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 am

Glad they made it :D
Yeah they are good & solid - like you say, weight is mostly in the rotors & callipers.

Now looking forward to seeing the result of your handiwork when you've got them fitted. :P I'll keep an eye on the "build" :)

Cheers
I may not have gone where I intended to go ... but I've ended up where I needed to be. :mrgreen: Douglas Adams.
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:12 pm

G'day WaterRat, all arrived safe & sound in the cab of a roller being delivered south, thanks again... have been tinkering with things am now wondering whether should have grabbed the front 6 stud hubs off you too... Have way too many choices on which way to go at the moment :?

Realising on the forum have pretty much been talking to myself lately, but am still keen on jotting down progress & thought patterns, as have referred back here on numerous occasions in the past to recall how/ what / when things have been done & why...so why stop now?? :lol: :lol:

Ok, so pulled the hubs etc to bits, looks as though a lot of thought has gone into it all,... am a bit embarrassed to say that the penny has finally dropped for me, these on the 3x2's are type 2 stubs... (was thinking these stubs looked pretty chunky, all the talk in the past I thought was only referring to the flanges on the stubs to suit the various t1, t2 or 930 cv's, not the fact that the t1 stub axle shaft is around 30mm, whereas the t2's are around 35mm, hence the 36mm hub nut on the t1's, with 45 odd mm t2's... :oops: :oops: ) Everything I've read makes a lot more sense now :oops:
P1080588.jpg

Did have the thought to swap out Chubbies hubs onto the 3x2's to keep the wide 5 pattern, as the rotors are the same outside diameter as the EA ones (am a bit nostalgic & thought might be nice to keep wide 5 as a reminder of the vw heritage) but the different splines on the stubs/ hubs counts this out (guess could always re bearing it & swap to the t1 stubs too.... the length is the same...) Another reason is after weighing in the hubs for comparison (without the stubs or callipers, thinking could have an unsprung weight saving by running Chubby's hubs), Chubby's hubs are actually close to a kg heavier than the others anyway! So the t2 stubs, EA rotors it is. The only other way I can see to keep wide 5 is to make a new wide 5 adapter plate, but if this was 12mm steel, calced this to add 4.5kg each side.... so guess I'm not that nostalgic, the 6 stud will do (for now at least)
P1080592.jpg

Change of wheels required... realistically the ones on the back of Chubby wouldn't have worked with the 3x2's anyway, as the massive offset on the 10 inch rims would put things out way too far.. (offset inwards is about 85mm from the wheel mating surface to the outer lip of the rim compared to 190mm offset on the outside... afraid I'm very old school & like the look of plenty of dish... could be said the big offset has a lot of wank factor... guessin if the cap fits.. :lol: ), these 5 stud falcon pattern ones would actually bolt straight up to the EA rotors/ hub without the adapter..
P1080598.jpg
The 33's would be good for ground clearance but may create issues with the gearing, find that even with the gearing of the 1600 box & 31's, 1st gear is still a bit tall for a lot of the areas have been poking around in the bush...
P1080594.jpg
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:25 pm

Will see how we go... thinking maybe a compromise with 32's?? Anyway, back to the EA rotors/ hubs. Am guessing the centre is a Kombi brake drum machined down & back to front to fit the EA rotor over... I like the collars installed in the mounting holes :)
P1080583.jpg

Did notice the rotor's aren't a snug fit over the machined hub (about 60 thou clearance) The adapter plate has also been machined to nicely fit the tapered edge on the hub centre, fitting snug on the hub without the rotor installed, but once the rotor is sat on & the adapter is spaced out on the taper, this also has around 60 thou clearance leaving not much other than the bolt tightness to keep everything centralised
P1080585.jpg

Guessing that would be ok, but can see a really easy fix of spinning up a bush/ sleeve to slot the rotor & adapter over to keep it all balanced & in the middle
P1080584.jpg

That's about as far as have got at the moment, now that the weather is warming up a bit down here, don't recon will install the arms till next winter when things shut down for a while but will still keep onto it to try to get everything sorted... Am really keen to see how the bigger callipers go on the back, as it did tend to lock the front up a bit early on hard braking, & if you look at the previous pics of Chubby's disc, doesn't actually look like its been working too hard...
Havin a ball :D , Pud
BBTJ

Postby BBTJ » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 pm

8) Keep building mate....we are watching :lol: :lol:
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks dude, need the motivation at times :)

A bit left field, but hope you see the connection shortly, have an upcoming job with a bit of rough terrain access issues... have this 6x6 thing at our disposal, a bit rugged but they say its capable... guess we'll find out
P1080623.jpg

Also have this Isuzu thing as our new (second hand) work bus
P1080603.jpg

Full report shortly to see what it's good for... :twisted: :twisted: :D.... I love my job... :)
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:34 pm

I’m still watching too mate! Not much help I’m afraid!
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Good to see someone still playing around with different things. Watching, but not sure I could contribute anything you don't already know!
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Haven't done much with chubby for a while, if it's not work there's always something preventing any tinkering time :roll:
Have actually just come back from visiting some of your Queensland stomping ground, had a wedding to attend at Tamborine (Cedar Creek lodge),
P1080739.jpg

Tried the usual buggy spotting ritual with the camera cocked and locked but didn't do any good at all :cry: Closest I got was a beetle at the Thunderbird Park camp ground
P1080719.jpg

The pommy somewhat equivalent up in North Tamborine township
P1080730.jpg

And another dub up on the hill
P1080765.jpg

Imagine it'd be an awesome drive in a buggy though, can see why you guys do the day runs up there! Were on the Tamborine hill there while the storms passed which stopped the Gold Coast 600 Super cars, kids were up the bush on the tree top challenge.... not the best place to be with all the lightning etc - in the trees on a mountain with a wire rope spider web linking everything all together... :shock: :? :oops:
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Headed to Surfers for the week, camped in an apartment on Main beach,
....Showin off the Tassie tan... (...& physique....) :oops: :lol:
Attachments
P1080781.jpg
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Been thinking,..... what with the tourist industry grasping the Volkswagen thing as a big part of the surfie culture,

what with tee shirts...
P1080788.jpg

wall art...
P1080783.jpg

calendars...
P1080784.jpg

carry bags...
P1080786.jpg

fridge magnets...
P1080787.jpg

Just about every Queensland surfie's garage must have Kombi or dub of some sort in it... 8) :P :lol:
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 pm

G'day all, had a bit of a laugh recently, mentioned a couple of posts ago we had acquired another work truck...., was asked to give it a good shake down to make sure everything on it worked ok. Thought might be able to get a bit of mileage out of this, so instead of just playing with it in the yard, decided to go bush with it & chubby.
P1080857.jpg
P1080864.jpg

Actually a good secure feeling seeing that coming along behind in the mirror :D
P1080859.jpg

Got to the destination...
P1080867.jpg

Now this is where chubby comes into use for the truck component shakedown... :twisted:
P1080869.jpg
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Thought a bit of fishing might be the go, cast ol' chubby out as far as she'll go then reel her back in... :)
P1080871.jpg

Didn't get all that far on the first attempt with standard kit, the tyre ruts were as deep as with self levelled silt in them, just dug a hole & layed on the pan... :(
P1080881.jpg

Winch test time, not a bad setup, like the sprags on the back (realised we wouldn't need them here but needed to work out how everything worked :)
P1080878.jpg
P1080879.jpg

Glad we had the sense to think of pre- hitching a tow sling, saved a bit of digging
P1080882.jpg
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Reeled it back in real easy, couldn't even tell any change in the winch etc from as it was reeling in the slack...
P1080885.jpg

Simple way for a tyre changeout :)
P1080893.jpg
P1080896.jpg
P1080897.jpg
P1080855.jpg
:twisted: :lol:
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Ready for the next run :D
P1080898.jpg

Ran straight past where the 31 mudders were pulled up & onto the next hole....
Bloody Hell....
P1080915.jpg

Almost made it through, just wouldn't quite climb out the other side...
P1080909.jpg

Interesting though, would still move backwards & forwards 5 or 6 meters in the hole even though it was sitting on its guts, just gave up in the end
P1080918.jpg

Made it a lot further though
P1080921.jpg

Return to “Buggy Related Chat”