Remember You first time..........

General Buggy Chat

Moderator: manxiberty

OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Remember You first time..........

Postby OzTowdster » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:51 am

My first buggy experience goes quite a way back to when I was probably only 5 or 6 when mum and dad used to take us away at Christmas to a little holiday resort at St Helens point Tasmania called Akaroa .
In about the Christmas of 1970 it was a miserable wet one for weeks on end so the farthers used to congregate in the Village workshop of a day where they had pulled an early oval beetle to turn it into a fully steel ( no glass kits in those days in Tassie )
The end result was a fun bright yellow little convertible baja but it had low sides and welded doors .
Sorry no pictures of it but it was there for all the years Acaroa was open .
I don't know what ever happened to it apart from it sold to somewhere in Tassie
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:25 am

Dragged Dads slide box out recently looking for some other stuff & stumbled across a pic dated 1974 of my cousins buggy which is definitely the beginning of the buggy fad for me :)
P1050219.jpg
Would have been 9, that's me foolin around in the drivers seat (& yes, the home made bowl cuts were all the go back then :roll: :lol: ) ....when you think about it, the beetle it was made from may have only been around10 years old, so it surprises me people were cutting up & scrapping a vehicle of that age back then! Used to absolutely love that thing! Good Times! :D

Anyone else with old pics or stories? Pud
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Given the steering box it's fitted with PUD it would of been either an Oval or up to a 59 beetle too , lol

Nice poo brown Datto 1600 too , goes well with the bowl cuts
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:36 am

You know your dubs!!

Yeah, I do have a pretty big soft spot for the ol' datto 1600's,....rallied a couple of those to death as a teenager as well :oops: :oops: ...Man, they'd take a flogging!!!...A pic of part of the bush graveyard at the old place at Cygnet.....with 5 boys in the family all the parked up dead vehicles ended up spread over a couple of acres.. lol
P1050220.jpg

Return to “Buggy Related Chat”