Why I went Subaru..

General Buggy Chat

Moderator: manxiberty

Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Why I went Subaru..

Postby Vduboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:32 am

I keep having people ask why I went/am going for a Subaru conversion.
So to answer these questions I'd like to give a back story, in my 20's I did up/restored a old 71 superbug. Spent the big dollars and got a base 1916 built by a very reputable engine builder.
Drove the car hard but not abusing it (always warmed up, no burnouts and always meticulously serviced) I only got 38,000k's out of said motor before the previously virgin cases cracked everywhere. (never been split before or machined according to the builder) Was only a 1641 when I sent it up to him. For a not small amount of money that is entirely a miserable value for dollar figure for me.
Now the cost of getting another motor built by a ''expert engine builder" nowadays is absolutely ludicrous.

Not to mention I was never satisfied by the 'power' the motor put out, or the constant struggle and researching of finding replacement parts that actually fit out of the box and/or do the job for longer than 15 minutes.

So I am now going the path of Subaru. Yes it will not be cheap to convert but in the end I will have a reliable fuel efficient buggy that I don't have to carry a swagger of tools and spare parts incase this breaks or that breaks etc. And when I was looking at donors I had seen at least a dozen cars with over 400k on them. As mine has only 180 I will be stoked to not have to pull the motor three times a year to fix another failed part.
The gear box is also in the same category by the way so I am fitting a Subaru gears box to match the motor.
As for claims of soulless and lacks character... I call bull sh!t on that. I would rather arrive at said destination soulless without breaking down due to some pos Chinese parts failure. And not worrying if I will make it.
Besides as an atheist I have no soul anyway!! :lol:
Hope this helps someone to make a educated non rose coloured glasses view on driveline choices for your vw.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
josh702
Manx Jnr

Re: Why I went Subaru..

Postby josh702 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:46 am

I strongly agree, having 3 running buggys kicking around the yard and driving them all regularly. The Ej22 subaru gears manx is pure smooth power 8) and the most fun to drive.

The 1916 Vw engine manx goes well but then again theres those days where the idle is rough or needs tinkering and tuning before heading out for a run.

Subaru all the way, turn the key and smile! :D
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm

You shouldn't have to justify your choices to anyone man.
Drive whatever you want however you want.

Smiley :)
If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Smiley wrote:You shouldn't have to justify your choices to anyone man.
Drive whatever you want however you want.

Smiley :)

I know I don't have to bud. I wanted to. I wish I had another choice other than to blow a s#!t tonne of cash on a motor that wouldn't last. Just wanted to open a few eyes so to speak that there are other options.
But thank you, I appreciate it.
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!

Return to “Buggy Related Chat”