Copper pipe

If it makes power or helps it get to the wheels this is where it is at

Moderator: manxiberty

shane2610
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Copper pipe

Postby shane2610 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi every one , has any body ha a problem with using copper pipe for coolant lines from the front to the back of my buggy,. Cheers shane.
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Re: Copper pipe

Postby BlueV2 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:54 am

I used Alloy pipes, but can't see why copper wont work. I know the hot rod guys use it a lot for cooling pipes. Copper is pretty expensive though isn't it ?
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
shane2610
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby shane2610 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Thank bluev2 the copper didn't cost me nothing my mate is a Plummer he did all the pipe work and bends ,it look really good and when I paint black you won't no it there.
Tratty
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Tratty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:20 pm

It might just pay to see if you can find some information electrolysis of dissimilar metals, although your coolant should take care of it some motors were specific about what coolant they ran due to different materials in the head to the block, welsh plugs, radiators, heaters and the like. Early commodore v6s you had to use holden v6 coolant, they were known as aspros, early wasser boxers you had to use VW coolant they were known as aspros and I'm sure there were a lot more, maybe your sacrificial anode will take care of it (thermostat housing) although that didn't work for commodore or VW, I don't know it's all supposition on my part, I'm not trying to scare you just warn you.

Do not bond the pipe to the engine you will basically creating a battery and then you will get electrolysis of dissimilar metals

Return to “Engine and Driveline”