Our Baja Bus ( Yes i'mm back at it again )

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Our Baja Bus ( Yes i'mm back at it again )

Postby OzTowdster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Well what can i say , yep still have it , have built the Rat Racer in the mean time and the Towdster is well on the way back to a rolling car .
As many here would already know myself and Eileen have a seldom seen 77 Baja Kombi that in the last 3 years has seen more use as a storage container than a car , but ya get that .
Anyway with fraser fast approaching and the Towd looking like it won't make it again......................... mainly due to dollars required . it's time to dig out the Baja Bus and finish it once and for all .
Now at this point your all probaley doing a little head scratching and thinking mmmmmmmmmmmmmm he can't afford to finish the Towd yet but is gunna spend more money on the Bus , well let me just say that the bus needs a shitload less dollars than the Towd and i already have basicully eevrything reqired for the bus .
Yep have commited myself to at least a few hours a day on the big beast , which is including a bare metal respray by yours truley .
Now a quick refresher for those not in the know as to where the bus currently sits in the progress of it rebuild

Was a 2 lt with 1600 box gutless horror which then became 200hp rocket with the addition of the EG33 Subaru Flat six combined with a 091 2 lt box

Body used to look quite good , but apprently the PO had a like for fiberglass and bog of which neither rust and a wire wheel on a grinder just keeps disapearing into .
But i have been of the last couple of years rectifing this shitfull body work with sheetmetal and welding ( amazing hey ). To date i have replaced the iner and outer sills including the sill areas in front of the rear wheels , the battery tray , all the rear side window sills , and fabricated and fitted a custom front bumper panel which enables the radiator and alloy bull bar to fit up closer to the front .
And in the more recent months i have cut out and prepped for new front inner and outer front wheel arches to welded in ( which by the way i have bought this great mig / tig for among other things ).
And last but certainly required i have been busy in the last couple of days removing a very rusty front cargo floor crossmember ie the one just behind the front wheels (what where vw thinking with bloody double thick panels everywhere , you'dd have thought they'dd know it was gunna see beach use and double panels just ain't gunna cut it ) .
Any way heres a few photos of the beast at different times in the last 4 years .
Last edited by OzTowdster on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Our Baja Bus

Postby OzTowdster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 am

Sweet the Firts Baja Bus Build on the Club Forum . It seems like just yesterday it was flogging through teh inland tracks of fraser island hitting ruts and scaring locals.

Are you still installing air con ?

Oh and if you are going to post pictures I have to add my favourites :P

Last edited by Brad on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 am

Going to install the framing and intake for the AC in behind the nose cone but as i don't have a huge amount of funds to throw at it in the near future that willhave to be finished later on .
A sturdy gearbox comes first as it's no good being comfortble if you can't move
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:18 am

Hooray for progress!!!

Smiley :cool:
matberry
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby matberry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 am

Progress???? someone say progress??????
Smiley
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 am

matberry wrote:Progress???? someone say progress??????

Sorry. I meant,

Hooray for talk of progress!!!

Smiley :cool:
matberry
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby matberry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 am

Thats more like it Smiley !!!!! lol
jacko
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby jacko » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 am

I love the look of that bus Andrew,

I just got my Manx back on the road, but would love something a little more practicle like the bus!

Look forward to seeing it on the sand sometime soon

Jacko
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:44 am

Well kids , i have had a busy and productive day for a change here in my little carport .
I have finished removing the walk through heater ducting under the floor , and what a PIA job that is as once you mange to find all the spot welds for the outer bottom half you then have to do it all again with the internal baffles that are attached to the underside of the floor too.
With that out of the way i finished preping teh area for the new front crossmember and tacked and welded it in place and also put back in place the shift outer tube and a few other bits and pieces that attach to that crossmember .
And tidy out the day i have all but finished fitting my new section of floor back to the 2nd crossmember .
So all in all not a bad days work i think and back into it again tomorrow which will entail finishing the floor and hopefully starting on the front inner and outer wheel arches .

Andrew
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 am

Without pictures your words are worth nothing ..... now go out and get some pictures us poor fibreglass boys don't get to see this horrible rust of which yuo speak and strive to repair.....
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:43 am

Well if someone would set me up an account on the new gallery i might just do that .
And as for the itchy's , i ahve been doing plenty of that too with the towdsters body parts , but i do have the good sence to send the main body repairs out for some other poor sucker to get really itchy
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 am

OzTowdster wrote:Well if someone would set me up an account on the new gallery i might just do that .
And as for the itchy's , i ahve been doing plenty of that too with the towdsters body parts , but i do have the good sence to send the main body repairs out for some other poor sucker to get really itchy

Why repair just buy a new tub and guards off Bruce ....
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:53 am

As much as i'dd love to buy some new panels , that ain't gunna be very viable as all my panels are heavily modified in one way or another , even the tub which fits the bent RH tube after it's T bone 30 years ago .
Anyway back to the Baja Bus .
Have had another productive day at the bus , although i didn't reach my goal of moving onto the Front wheel arches .
As we left yesterday i had the new custom floor panel tacked in place , so we started our day today by fully welding the new panel in place and then moved onto the old centre seat mount receased floor points which i had previosly removed and plated these in with new panels .
As the plan is to fit a new rear seat approx half way between where a middle and rear seat would normally fit that also folds foward on itself to become the rear bed area not to mention sits in front of the fuel tank which now occupies some of the orignal rear seat
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:39 am

Brad wrote:Without pictures your words are worth nothing ..... now go out and get some pictures us poor fibreglass boys don't get to see this horrible rust of which yuo speak and strive to repair.....
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”