chassis dimensions please

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
billy1770

chassis dimensions please

Postby billy1770 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi all. I'm about to embark on welding on a new frame head and floor pan on my 74ish beetle, for the purpose of fitting a manx kit.
Can anyone head me in the right direction for accurate measurements for this project.
I was planning on bolting the front beam on the new head and measuring from that...
All help greatly appreciated. i promise to post photo's eventually.

To be fitted with ej22 and 5 speed. I have the whole car here, so will use what I can from it.

Thanks again.
I'm not completely useless...
I can be used as a bad example !!!
bajabone
Manx Jnr

Re: chassis dimensions please

Postby bajabone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Yes bolt beam to head and set up rear pan/torsion bar level as well . Run level across rear and then tack head on front tunnel and check level across front beam. Also keep checking for square to rear torsion bar housing. AS for distance between I think it is 2127mm inside beam and rear torsion bar housing but will have to check my notes if I can find them.(fare while ago) This measurement could be back to a rear body bolt hole??. This was for a BJ pan. Somebody with body off could soon tell you. Is this a lwb or short ?
billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Hey Thanks for the help.
Yes a long wheel base, so will measure twice...
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 am

billy1770 wrote:Hi all. I'm about to embark on welding on a new frame head and floor pan on my 74ish beetle, for the purpose of fitting a manx kit.
Can anyone head me in the right direction for accurate measurements for this project.
I was planning on bolting the front beam on the new head and measuring from that...
All help greatly appreciated. i promise to post photo's eventually.

To be fitted with ej22 and 5 speed. I have the whole car here, so will use what I can from it.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Guessing by Manx Kit you are talking about Manxter ?? as you mention LWB pan.

If you are doing a new frame head is that because you are using a super bug ( strut / hammer head pan ) if so just be aware there are a few differences with the front wall thickness, tunnel height etc which need to be allowed for and the after market frame head will not fit straight up without some pie cutting and fill in bits.

Are you replacing the entire frame head including front firewall area ( where master cylinder etc goes ) ? If not and you are going forward from there then it will have no impact on the body as such and you have some flexibility. I would consider pushing the frame head forward a couple of inches from stock to give you some more clearance for larger front wheels on full turn. An inch here will make you very happy later.

When doing it I suggest you bolt / clamp a straight edge across the frame head and rear torsion bars. If you can get say 2m in length you will get a much more accurate fit as the further out you go the easier it is to find deviation.

Let me know exactly what you are doing and I will get you some measurements as I have a few BJ / IRS floor pans currently under build so they are easy to measure.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey Brad.

There is no tricking you...
Correct in all your assumptions, ex super bug going back to bj.
Purchased parts a while back from some cluey guy on north side of Brisbane.....apparently he is overseas now!!!

I Have noticed the required pie cut, (as mentioned at the time of purchase of frame head)
So frame head is full piece with popes hat included.
So can that be moved forward also.?
Or becasue mount bolts are through popes hat it has to stay put.. as per spec

Have a couple of gal pipe lengths that may be good for straight edges, will check them for straightness first.

Yes to Manxster funds permiting.
Usual time n money constraints....
But many thanks for help Brad, much appreciated.

Will get some photos up whn I get a chance.

Billy 1770
bajabone
Manx Jnr

Postby bajabone » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 pm

I wish I knew about pushing the frame head forward a bit when I did mine ! Has anyone moved the beam forward using a spacer/block ?
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm

So frame head is full piece with popes hat included.
So can that be moved forward also.?
Or becasue mount bolts are through popes hat it has to stay put.. as per spec

You don't want to move the "popes hat" or your body won't fit. You want to extend the tunnel on the front side only.

Don't go to far however and just make sure your wheels won't sit to far forward for the Manxter Body. Maybe an inch or 2 at an absolute stretch.

If you do go forward, you will need to do some significant clearance of the body for the Steering box - even with a 3 inch lift.
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Lovebuggy..

Thats one of my concerns...move this, affect that...
Thats where experience comes in handy...
Wasn't sure if you could bracket back from popes head to fit body..

I'm not looking to go to radical... just what a buggy on the road...

more advice welcome.

Thanks again
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Ok will try and answer the questions you ask but I get a bit confussed.

What I would do with a superbug pan on an offroad build is leave the superbug popes hat as you call it in tact, cut the poes hat off the BJ frame head and then add a 50mm strip ( man it is nice to talk mm's again) in front of the super bugs popes hat and before the new frame head. The new frame head will be LHD anyway so this will save you haveing to cut a new master cylinder hole and means all the dimensions that matter are the same for the body.

The manxter tub as a return lift on he inside only so the extra width of the super bug pan has no impact.

Lovebuggy is talking about the steering box hitting the front section of the body .. who cares you have to cut it anyway and it does nothing important, cut it to suit and get the 50mm clearance for your wheels on the tub. Then you can run 215 x 75 x 15 at full lock without issue.

50mm is the max but anything over 25mm is worth doing, under 25mm is a waste of time.

Once you frame head is on do a pie cut and get the bottom back up.

Depending what sort of lift you are after you can also drop the frame head down and not do the pie cut at all just line the bottom up. With this option you need to taper the top but it gives you a 25mm or so lift and again has no real effect in a buggy application as you can taper your steering column. I wouldn't do this but it is still an option. I did one many years back like this and it was a PITA to get it to look right.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Hey Guys. been a little busy with school holidays etc.
I want to get some photos up, to show what we are doing, but having no luck...
What may I be doing wrong? is it me !! I'm new at this, so do I need "permission" or what am I doing wrong.....

Thanks

phil.
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 am

If you are attaching photos - keep them under 1024x768. You may need to resize them. This is to stop peple uploading massive photos and using up all the hosting BW every time someone looks at them.

Alternatively - load them up to a photo hosting site - like photo bucket and then use the "Img" button above to point to the photo URL.

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Hey Lovebuggy
Thanks for reply.
I tried to create a gallery of photos but it says I dont have permission too..?
As the photos I have tried to put up are smaller then 1024x768 i assume my "status" requires manipulating....
Who's palm do I need to grease....?? New to this forum stuff.

I will atempt the Photo bucket thingie now, or go to bed...not sure..

thanks.
billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Hey using photo bucket to get images through.

Last edited by Lovebuggy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: I fixed up your photos. You were close. Just click on the direct link and paste between the [img] and [/img] text.
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 pm

You will need to trim the frame head where it is sitting on the table to allow you to bring the Popes hat to the correct position. The floorpan should sit nicely on the frame head lip.

billy1770

Postby billy1770 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 am

Hey Lovebuggy. thanks again.
Will practice with some more photos soon.

The "popes hat will go back further then the photo shows, I was just indicating were it would sit if I was to attempt to move it all foreward a couple of inches (50mm) sorry brad...
I assume moving the whole lot foreward would not be possible as the mounts etc would all be wrong, and more hasstle then its worth to adjust.

I now just need to hget my measurements right and tack the sucker together ....

I saw some images with measurements on samba, so i will head back there.
Just not sure if the base measurements changed with different years etc.
the samba images didn't give model or year info, so i will have to compare the measurements I can check with whats left of my frame with the samba stuff.

And check check check...all before welding...

thanks again.

phil, (billy)

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”