Ej22 Loom Strip Down

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
josh702
Manx Jnr

Re: Ej22 Loom Strip Down

Postby josh702 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 am

Ah ok, So according to the wiring diagram two wires are connected to the speedometer from VSS2, then one wire from the speedometer is connected to the ECU which is for VSS2.

In my case I'll have a Subaru 5 speed box which all have the VSS on it, is it as simple as connecting one wire from that to the VSS input on the ECU?
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:48 pm

josh702 wrote:Ah ok, So according to the wiring diagram two wires are connected to the speedometer from VSS2, then one wire from the speedometer is connected to the ECU which is for VSS2.

In my case I'll have a Subaru 5 speed box which all have the VSS on it, is it as simple as connecting one wire from that to the VSS input on the ECU?

Basically yes, do you happen to know the VIN of the car you got the engine from ?

The VSS sender on the 754 box should be a single sender wire ( 3 wire plug , earth, power and signal) and you can then feed that signal to the ECU and that should make it happy. If you get a 758 box they don't come with VSS Sender so make sure you specify when you order it that you want a speed sensor as the 758 have the plug for it it just used the one on the ABS instead.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:56 pm

That sounds easy enough,

Heres the Vin

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Ok So VSS2 would have had two wires coming out of it a Black and a White. Both went into the Speedo Meter Circuit which then feeds the Black / Green on the ECU. Based on that it is no different to the early ones so just give that wire the VSS signal from the Transmission. That should be E29 Pin 3.

You have a copy of SU005 yeah ?

http://turnkeymanx.com/DocsToShare/SU005.pdf
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Easy done ill just hook it up to that, does anything need to be connected to the other wire out of the two on the VSS2? Use either Black or White wire?
I don't have that exact diagram but mine is pretty much the same.

Thanks,
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:46 pm

keep the vin number as well ....subaru spare parts department need it to figure out parts for your motor....wether its jap spec or oz spec etc.....they don't like it when i give them my manx chassis number and await a reply :lol:
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
mackaymanx

Postby mackaymanx » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Well after pulling some new fuel lines through and purging the air out, filling up the engine with oil and replacing the oil and fuel filter I got my engine to not start! Proceeded to do some fault finding, no spark or fuel pump while cranking. Time to make and hook up the check engine LED which told me "Crank Angle Sensor". Swapped it out with a spare I had, crank it over and it starts up with a nice throaty rumble with just the headers.

Still have VSS, coolant and exhaust to sort but it runs. Hope yours starts up as easily Josh

josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:26 pm

mackaymanx wrote:Well after pulling some new fuel lines through and purging the air out, filling up the engine with oil and replacing the oil and fuel filter I got my engine to not start! Proceeded to do some fault finding, no spark or fuel pump while cranking. Time to make and hook up the check engine LED which told me "Crank Angle Sensor". Swapped it out with a spare I had, crank it over and it starts up with a nice throaty rumble with just the headers.

Still have VSS, coolant and exhaust to sort but it runs. Hope yours starts up as easily Josh

Nice work mate, what a bummer about the Crank Angle Sensor, lucky you had a spare. I didn't know that will shut down the whole engine. I think I'll have to bench test mine first could be a while before a get fuel and water hooked up.

manxiberty wrote:keep the vin number as well ....subaru spare parts department need it to figure out parts for your motor....wether its jap spec or oz spec etc.....they don't like it when i give them my manx chassis number and await a reply :lol:

Cheers Paul that was the first thing I ripped off the donor, Ive herd stories that subaru won't know what a Ej22 is :lol:
mackaymanx

Postby mackaymanx » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I wanted get mine started as soon as possible so that I could confirm that i had got it right, it's easier to got back through the loom while it's still fresh is your mind.
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:08 am

yeah the crank angle sensor essentially tells the ecu where everything is much like your pinion/gear on your dizzy on those old aircooled motors

there are however a few sensors that wont stop it running ( may not run well) once you get it running with no faults evident just unplug stuff and see......its also handy to know what it does when stuff is disconnected or loose if your ever out the back of somewhere and trouble shooting.....things like AFM, IAC, coil pack, injectors, purge solenoid, throttle position. you can simulate things like dropping a cylinder and wait for a fault code to appear....

i think the cam angle sensor which i think is only a twin cam spec sensor will stop it :lol: found that out in the carpark of a pub and again yes spares are handy.....not always a bad thing having a dead engine hanging around they pop up on ebay from time to time for like 50 bucks and you get about 1000 bucks worth of sensors
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 am

VSS - nothing else needed.

Another thing to keep an eye on is the Injectors as they have a bad habit of blocking if they sit for a while and will stop your engine running. A nice investment is a Bosch Noide tester so you cab simply plug it into the injector plug and check.

Having an EJ is no different to a VW engine really, both need, spark, fuel, compression and air just how they get there is a bit more controlled in an EJ.

Dyno has a test rig if you need it so we could run the EJ's on the stand with radiator etc so everything could be tested before install.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”