S Bug Chassis

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
ianska

S Bug Chassis

Postby ianska » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Got an S Bug sitting in the garage. Just wondering there would be any benefit doing the front end conversion on the chassis I have to do a Manxter 2+2 build?

Don't mind the extra work if there's some benefit but if it's no different to getting a BJ/IRS from the start I might look at getting rid of the whole bug. Have had a few people interested in buying just the body so was just thinking of ways to use what I could have left :)
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Re: S Bug Chassis

Postby manxiberty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:11 am

there's not really any "added" benefit but the main reason for the frame head swap is that finding BJ/IRS chassis's can be difficult as there years of manufacture was limited. S bugs are generally more plentiful.

about the only benefit that may or may not interest you is that while you are swapping the frame head you have the ability to move the frame head further forward allowing more "full lock" with taller tyres if you choose this path.....mainly for the offroaders. just keep in mind by doing this the steering box will need clearance on the storage area in front of the fuel tank. on some other buggys the steering box is very close to the number plate area on the bonnet so this may need to be notched or removed....the manxters are actually longer in this area...its not until you actually compare one to a manx or maxfx that you see how bruce got around fitting everything in and making the bonnet hinge etc.

Good to see your going the manxter route.....you'll enjoy the build, very nice to put together compared to others out there.

Youll spend less time scratching your head, have a quicker build and be on the road sooner and enjoying the buggy lifestyle.
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
ianska

Postby ianska » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks, that's what I pretty much thought.

The S Bug is in really good shape so would prefer it went to someone to fix up. I'd keep it if I had the room and knew I would't get a slap for having too many dubs on the go :)

Anyone have the frame head moved forward? Not heard of that being done before so would be good to see how it looks. Wonder if it''s OK for NSW engineering too?
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:46 am

here ya go 50mm further forward sees a better full lock with bigger rolling diameter....also betters your approach angle depending on front bar of course

if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
ianska

Postby ianska » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:45 am

That does look pretty cool set up like that.

Think I might just sell the bug shell and get a frame head from Steel Art posted down :)
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Most of the buggies that have been built over the last few years have the frame head forward if Custom Offroad had anything to do with it.

Even if you only go 25mm it is well worth the small amount of effort it is as when you drive a buggy and hit full lock it sucks if the tyres scrub.
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
ianska

Postby ianska » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:27 pm

When doing the frame head swap do you need a jig or anything to get it all fitting straight? Just deciding if I send the pan off for all the welding work (frame head and subi access panels).

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”