Leaking Petrol Tank

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
Viper

Leaking Petrol Tank

Postby Viper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:16 pm

I have a tinny pin hole leak in the bottom of the petrol tank. I thought I had fixed it with that two part putty you mix together and fill metal holes with. But it did not appear to have worked. I also put a new fuel tap in and it looks like it is also leaking because the rubber washer has totally broken up.

Does anybody know of any paint on product you can buy, and suggestions on sealing the tap underneath so it wont leak.
It obviously would be a major operation pulling the front end off to take the petrol tank out to get it welded up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

simon
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Leaking Petrol Tank

Postby PUD » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:18 pm

I've used a product called POR 15 to fix bike petrol tanks in the past, but the tanks needed to have a warm caustic solution sloshed around in 'em to dissolve the rust before a primer solution then the sealer poured in. Obviously that specific product wouldn't work unless the tank was removed, but I think the same crowd makes an external paint on epoxy. The Fibreglass Shop was the supplier here in Tas, maybe try to google POR 15 to see what they have, Pud
woody66

Postby woody66 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:47 pm

You need to remove tank, have it sand blasted, cleaned, spot welded at pin holes and treated with a product like red-kote...Highly recommended !

http://www.ftrs.com.au/fueltanks/fueltanks.php
Viper

Postby Viper » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for the advise. I would love the luxury of pulling the tank out, this unfortunately is a massive job, involving pulling all the windscreen off then unattatching some of the wiring under the bonnet before loosening the body and bonnet to get the petrol tank out, not a 5 minute job. I am hoping I can patch it without having to do all that.
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 am

go see a rhino linings guy....if he can get his gun up and around there that may work, however i would be spending the time and pulling it out and replacing it ........new steel tanks are still available and not that expensive i have been told.

the last thing you want is your buggy to burn to the ground after you put in all that work.....

we all have set backs but with fuel I wouldn't be taking any chances
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
Viper

Postby Viper » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:01 pm

Would you know a number or how to find a rhino linings guy?
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:17 am

google
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
woody66

Postby woody66 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:35 pm

I would have replaced mine with a new one, but didn't want the hassle of relocating the filler to suit my bonnet hole....
Tratty
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Tratty » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 am

If it's in a little bit of free space you could gentlely screw in a large pk screw with some petrol resistant sealer on it. Not a long term fix but it might get you out of the woods, don't use teflon tape, perhaps loctite but use a primer as well, probably work out as dear as a new tank but you don't have to pull it out.
Rowley

Postby Rowley » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:49 am

That repair putty does have a positive result if prepared thoroughly. All be it temporary I'm sure. Saying that I have seen some old repairs with the stuff. Oh and shout yourself a new rubber washer.
bajabone
Manx Jnr

Postby bajabone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Sorry fella's but I would go the new tank and do it once! At least when you go through the pain fitting, you know you wont be doing that job again in the next 40 years.

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”