Canbus Manxster Project

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
toddy101

Canbus Manxster Project

Postby toddy101 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd post some details and progress photos of my new buggy build.

The main aim of the project is to build a new buggy with the latest Subaru Canbus engine and where practical, use as many parts from the doner Subaru as possible instead of having to buying new components.

The doner Subaru is a 2014 WRX (current model), that has the latest FA20 Direct Injection Turbo motor. It is still in some ways similar to the EJ motors that have been around for the last 20 odd years, but in other ways, very different. The Turbo is mounted at the bottom of the engine below the crank pulley, hopefully not too much of an issue for ground clearance (it is no lower than the sump, which is same height as the EJ stock sump).
So far, I am using the engine, 6speed gearbox (with subarugears reversed r&p), radiator, seats, steering column, pedals, rear brakes, handbrake, instrument cluster and even the stereo and infotainment/reverse camera system from the doner car.

This will be my third Subaru powered buggy build, and I think it will be by far the easiest. Compared to my first build 12 years ago with a 98 model EJ20, there is now a lot more parts available so you don't need to custom design and make everything.

Sharpbuilt Limo with EJ20T Subaru turbo.
BBTJ

Re: Canbus Manxster Project

Postby BBTJ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 pm

WOW.... Just WOW. :shock:
Super keen on seeing this build :D Keep us posted
josh702
Manx Jnr

Postby josh702 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Awesome, great to see another Manxter hiding out there 8)

That engine look huge :shock: although it may look more bulky with the turbo underneath.
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:33 pm

Really looking forward to this build.

And I believe if all going to plan should get weekly updates :)
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:33 am

This looks like a good one to watch!
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
toddy101

Postby toddy101 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback. Thought I might as well aim at providing a weekly update, so here it is.

I probably haven't got that much done in the last week as hoped, was a bit busy with work commitments, however still got a bit done.

I managed to make up a support frame for the top hang subie pedals, brake booster and master cylinders. Was a bit of a mission getting it all to fit in with ample pedal spacing, I had to cut a section of the front wall out, replaced by a steel mount anchored to the fiberglass and the side support bars. The front of the pedal box's are supported to the bar that supports the steering column, similar to the setup in the subie. Also had fun trying to get the windscreen wiper mechanism to fit there with all this extra barwork, the VW one had no chance, an 08 subie no chance, the 2012 imprexa/14wrx fitted nicely inverted. Just need to modify one of the arms for clearance to the pedal support bar. The Impreza wiper assembly is a lot more compact and 1/3 the weight of the VW unit.
I then looked at the instrument cluster and the center TV screen (info display, boost gauge and reverse camera). The instrument cluster did not really fit the maxter dash, especially when the steering column is a bit higher than normal (easier to get in and out of the car, and then it is height and reach adjustable). I thought I would make a copy of the subaru cluster "pod" and integrate it into the manxster dash. Also the center screen is recessed in the subie, and sticks up a lot if it is not recessed, so made a mould of the recess part as well to integrate into the manxster dash.

I also looked at fitting a heater core and fan for the demister. I had a compact one already (for a hotrod), however then looked at the subaru HVAC box and realised if I cut the Fresh/Recirc section and the Air con condensor out, it halves in size. It is then only marginally bigger than the hotrod one, and half the weight. So done! Its getting the subaru one. Also will allow temp climate control and demister/feet/front output.

BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Nice work mate. I see you have been to Brad's "buggy building workshop", if it doesn't fit then cut a bigger hole ! :D
Sharpbuilt - V2 -http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au
  • Engine - EJ25
  • Gearbox - 5 Speed Subaru - http://www.subarugears.com
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Heated and Air conditioned
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
toddy101

Postby toddy101 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Sorry I have been a bit slack updating my posts. I have done a fair bit on the buggy. Chassis and floors are all done and painted in POR15. Pedals and dash is pretty much done. I custom 6speed cable shift box to allow the cables to go through the tunnel in a rearward direction is installed into the tunnel along with some tunnel strengthening. Subaru Handbrake mount brackets and handbrake cable sheath retainer welded inside the tunnel.

I decided to put some full LED smoked lense tail lights in from a Subaru BRZ. Was a bit of work removing the elephant bucket in the manxster, but I think it looks pretty damn cool. Also mounted all the under dash components, such as the Radio/Heater control unit, Heater core (A/C removed), battery tray, Main and Sub Fuseboxes and Body Control Computer.

BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Looking good mate !
  • Engine - EJ25
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Yeah, that does look good! Like the cable shift concept, love the look of the tail lights! Thanks for the update :)
toddy101

Postby toddy101 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have run into a bit of a brick wall this week and not sure what to do. I have been talking to my engineer about the rear seat. He won't comply it as an adult seat because of the rear rollbar being inside the headspace (even without the rear seat cushion). I want to get it on the road ASAP so don't know if I should get it registered as a two seater for now and worry about it after, this would also save time in fitting the actual subie rear seat. Or take the time in fitting the seats and get the rollcage modified so it is higher to get it registered as a 4seater. This will then probably affect the fitment of the hardtop.
Wondering how others in NSW have gone getting theirs passed? Whats your headspace measurement? I'm using the 200mm disc, and the value needs to be > 835mm
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Is it a standard Manxter rollcage ?
  • Engine - EJ25
  • 4 wheel discs
  • Cruise Control
  • Rack & Pinion Steering
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:18 pm

go with the 2 seater option as to be honest you can't fit bugger all in the back anyway, or do they offer 2+2 options in NSW ?
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:19 pm

I didn't have a issue with mine, but I agree you'd have to be a midget to fit in the back, and I don't have kids.. I might take the seats out until the nieces and nephew are old enough to ride in the back. But the size issue didn't even come up with my engineer, not that I was going to bring it up either!
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Lovebuggy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi Andrew,

Looking good.

The rear seats can go in as additional seating under VSB5B. This document does actually contradict itself as well so as per its drawings.

The requirement is for only 750mm for class A seating.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/files/VSB5B_Construction_and-Installation_of_Additional_Seats_by_Individuals.pdf

It is a 2+2 -> 2 Seater plus 2 additional seats.
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”