Fastest Buggy Around .....

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Fastest Buggy Around .....

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:50 am

The floor pan is now on its way to being done which is a good thing since we are into the last 48 hrs of the build.

We have the engine in place and the wheels fitted up.

Wheels are looking sweet and the Meyers Manx Logo's just cap it off :lol:

Rear brake lines are in place and everything is almost ready for the body .

Engine is in and dressed

Like most things in a Buggy Build there are many ways to go about putting in together. One of the things we like to do is cover all our hard lines where they go into the tunnel with cloth walled hose and cable tie it inside and out. We find this last longer than the grommets and ensures it always has protection.

Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Parj
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Parj » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:32 pm

What is the cost of this great machine ?
I reckon you could buy a Jeep Rubicon for less than this price ?
My ordinary Wrangler 2dr sport only cost AUD $38k
This buggy would have to approach over $50k ?
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Parj wrote:What is the cost of this great machine ?
I reckon you could buy a Jeep Rubicon for less than this price ?
My ordinary Wrangler 2dr sport only cost AUD $38k
This buggy would have to approach over $50k ?

Sure you could buy a Jeep and then do a Jeep things with it, sort of like looking at my house and saying you could buy a lot of tents for the same price... this ain't a jeep or any other production vehicle it is a hand built custom kit car.

For $50k you would get 2 and a bit of them, although I am guessing you are talking about Aussie Dollars so it would be closer to one and an almost :D
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Parj
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Parj » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:37 pm

I wouldn't knock the Jeep Wranglers too much, when you see what they do in the club runs.
Try and post 2 photos below. However, my Buggy replacement, a Jeep Wrangler 2dr has
not had it's top off, and most of the time I have the AC on. Bear in mind I am now 73, with
lots of aches and pains. Anyway, 209 kw and high clearance and weather proof will do me fine.
Attachments
jt3.jpg
jt3.jpg (129.35 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Jt1.jpg
Jt1.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
sjmclean

Postby sjmclean » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:39 pm

looking great Brad you do great work.
Stu
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 am

Hey Parj, I have no issues with Jeeps, they have done wonderful things for the offroad world and the way in which the after market has embraced them to fix all their shortaffls has helped both grow.

For me I will stick to Buggies over Jeeps as they just have no character and if I want a car like that I will drive my Subaru, Dodge or Land cruiser :)
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:58 am

sjmclean wrote:looking great Brad you do great work.
Stu

Hi Stu, thanks for the feedback, I can't take all the credit I have more than a few guys working with me these days, all I take credit for is being a grumpy bugger who makes them do it the right way even if it takes till midnight every day :twisted:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am

Brad wrote:Hey Parj, I have no issues with Jeeps, they have done wonderful things for the offroad world and the way in which the after market has embraced them to fix all their shortaffls has helped both grow.

For me I will stick to Buggies over Jeeps as they just have no character and if I want a car like that I will drive my Subaru, Dodge or Land cruiser :)

Yeah sorry Parj but I'm with Brad on this one (not sure about the having no character bit though...), I really like the Jeeps & their capabilities, but buggyin still gets my vote by a long shot :D (but I guess this is a buggy forum, be reconin a buggy probably wouldn't rate too good on a Jeep forum either :lol:)

Build's lookin great Brad! Love it :D
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am

I love Jeeps, look awesome, and very capable, but I couldn't own one due to the imperial bolts everywhere..!
Kinda like Harleys, I might get one when I'm too old for a motorbike!!! And the character thing is why I don't want a Subaru... (jumps into flame proof suit)
In all seriousness love the build too. Good quality work being done. Good to see someone being a slave driver like me for doing it right. I've got the grumpy bit all sorted, warming up to the old bit..
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Parj
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Parj » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:41 am

Hey Guys, lighten up ! I was curious how much that Buggy Brad was building cost, looking at the quality of build.
When I built my Buggy, 8+ years ago, the kit + EJ22+ wiring + several gearboxes cost $40k ++ (stopped counting)
I was keen on Buggies until I had problems getting in and out or even doing minor repairs. I bought a Jeep Wrangler as a Buggy substitute as it was possible to run it as a convertible as well as hardtop, and 3 year warranty
suited my needs. I'm NOT arguing the merits or demerits of Jeeps or Buggies, was just curious about Brads costs.
Amen,
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Definitely wasn't the intention to offend there Parj, just a passing comment/ opinion of a buggy nut :) Pud
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Keep in mind this is a VW based buggy. The Subaru ones start at $35 k and go up. The DSBE was more than your Jeep :)
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Vduboy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Vduboy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:12 am

Haha I was only taking the piss too mate.. in the end it's just plastic anyway what the hell are you going to do with it when you're dead..?
It will all be ok in the end.. if is not ok its not the end!
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:39 pm

With the pan done it is time to fit the body, now this in itself brings its own issues.

We start by putting the pan together as shown complete with wheels. Once that is done we sit the body on the pan

We then take it outside to do the actual fitting as you will often find you need to grind some of the inner body returns to allow for the shape of the floor pans in the rear corners. Once outside we simply lift it up and down at the rear while we take out any excess material.

[img]resizes/Meyers-Manx-Kickout/Kick-Out-Traditional/KO-1-of-2016/20160301_085802.jpg[/img]

This is also the same time we fit the rear lights, steering column etc and anything else we can think of that will make a mess in the shop and put fiberglass dust on everything.

Once done we put it down and push it back in.

The reason we do this when the pan is rolling is that I like to center the body relative to the wheels and tires and not necessarily the pan. Nothing is square in most Buggy Bodies so the tires are the main thing people look at.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:49 pm

So with the body ready to go on we can look at the next step which is bolting it down. To do this we like to use the factory pan holes so we remove the body and start on the pan. With the body on you can't see the factory holes so you need to either drill from under side which sucks or make it so you can see where they are.

To do this we simply chalk the pan .

We then lay out our mounting hardware and ensure it is good to go. The Meyers Manx Kit comes with the body mounting bolts and we use factory style body washers to fit under the pan lip and keep it strong.

Once happy we drop the body into place and drill the body in the center of the lip in line with the body holes.

Doing it this way keeps it all looking neat and centers the mounting washers.

Now you will often get a body that don't want to play and it sucks in on the sides.

If it does this then mount the best side in its favor and use a small jack or timber length to force the other side out. Sorry no pictures but feel free to ask.

Also remember the front two holes hardly ever get used so don't stress it. If you want to use them you will probably need to add a bracket.

When we mount we push the body back if anything to give more room for the tires to turn.
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”