New Project

Building a Buggy or Baja? Here is the place to ask questions
Kenny

New Project

Postby Kenny » Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi guys im looking for some advice i just brought a run down J&s swb buggy with a 1970 chassis which appears to be chopped down will i be able to rego for QLD ? if not can you use a normal chassis, will it fit ? or do i have to find different body .
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: New Project

Postby Lovebuggy » Thu May 05, 2016 10:58 pm

I am assuming you have no history of previous buggy rego with this?

It is "supposedly" possible to get a new SWB registered in QLD, however I am yet to hear of one being done. It is more becoming down to engineer discretion and QT taking a softer stance on shorten VW floor pans when re-bodying.

No you will need to use a modified shortened chassis to fit the J&S. If you use a "normal chassis you will need to use a different body.
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Thu May 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Ok thanks for the advice
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Sat May 07, 2016 7:51 am

G'day Kenny, all the best with your new purchase! Do a lot of reading on the different build threads on here & you should be able to pick up a lot of handy info on the do's & don'ts...(worked for me :) ), would love to see some pics of the J&S :D Pud
shaihulud

Postby shaihulud » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Take the chassis number to a rego office and ask them what it was registered as. Make sure that they understand that you are not asking for the details of previous owners. Privacy laws won't allow that.

If it was registered as a buggy or NOLIST or BCHBGY or CMADE or some such you are home and hosed. If registered as a COUPE or SEDAN you are in trouble. You might need to do a FOI application to get that info.

Then get permission from engineering section of Qld DoT to re-build it on the original chassis if that is possible.

If you can't get it registered as a SWB buggy then you will be able to re-build it as a LWB buggy on an unmodified Beetle chassis. Consider a Type 3 as they have much better brakes and suspension. Keep in mind that a Beetle chassis is the classic chassis and a Type 3 is unusual which will affect resale value.

If you have any fibre glassing skills then lengthen the body in the middle and you should be O.K.

The key to all this is that if you modify a chassis the vehicle can then become an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) which is very difficult to do. If you don't modify the chassis you can, within reason, modify the body without creating any rego problems.

I suggest that you fit a lift kit to a lengthened body to give that Manxter look. To my eye a low slung LWB buggy doesn't look right, but a lifted LWB is much better.
type3

Postby type3 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:48 am

If you need an engineer for approvals , try Earl Gilcrest, hes a legend
if you need his number just shoot a PM

Return to “Buggy and Baja Building”