Manx buggy in Marrakesh, Morocco

If your out and about and see a buggy, snap a pic and post it here, lets see how small buggy world really is...

Moderator: OBU991

shaihulud

Manx buggy in Marrakesh, Morocco

Postby shaihulud » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:02 pm

In 1973 I travelled with a tour company called Aardvark Tours from Kathmandu to London via Africa.

After a crossing of the Sahara Desert on the Ahoggar Track, which goes right up the middle of the desert, in Mercedes Benz 4WD trucks, I met a couple of young American men in the camping ground in Marrakesh.

They had a SWB Meyers Manx buggy. It was genuine because in those days no-one was making clones or copies of the Manx. They had shipped it to Europe and had done the Grand Tour that summer. They were thinking of travelling across the Sahara in it. It had a hot engine and a cracked crank case.

They had no idea of what they were thinking of doing. I told them that the Sahara is as big as all of the 48 contiguous states of the US of A. They would be travelling the equivalent of from the Canadian border to the Mexican border in desert all the way. They would need to organise a buddy truck to carry extra fuel for them and that it was not a good idea to go it alone or to take a highly modified Beetle engine with a cracked crank case into the middle of the Sahara Desert.

I wasn't trying to talk them out of it, but to tell them the realities of their proposed trip.

I hope that they did it. If they had they would almost certainly have been the first people to have crossed the Sahara in a Meyers Manx buggy.

What an adventure. I'd love to do it.

Return to “Encounters of a Buggy Kind”