Making Sunshine - MMA Manxter No 1

If you are building a buggy or Baja then please post in here and share your experinces with us

Moderator: manxiberty

Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Making Sunshine - MMA Manxter No 1

Postby Brad » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Ok Sunshine is now out ofthe bag and I have about 3 weeks to finish the build.

As Sunshine will more than likely be the 1st Australian Registered Manxter 2+2 I will be starting off with out mock up body so any mods I have to do will not effect my nice new body until I am 100% with what I am doing.

So Day hopefully the new server will behave itself so I can do some serious buggy development.

Day 1

I did nothing to day apart from clean my shed and move the remaining Manxter Bodies out of the yard. The 1st week will be pretty boring as I will be chassing parts all over the place and hooking up supplier accounts and paperwork. The aim by the end of week one is to have the floor pan built and the running gear in.

Let the race begin ......
Brad
Meyers Manx Australia
www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:10 pm

So tonight is kick off .. have some dinner and then it is time to make the mock up of the fuel tank and the radiator. Then Monday it is off to ARE to get a radiator sorted and a heap of other running around. Had a guy over today who thinks I have no hope in hell of getting Manxter 1 built by the end of the month ....
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:42 pm

So the start point is an almost clean work area, body sitting on Pan and a set of Bruce Meyers Mags in place to make me feel like I am getting there.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
seahunt

Postby seahunt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:36 pm

fancy that..a blue buggy :) lol

later
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

I like Blue ... it makes me happy :)
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
VWNuts
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby VWNuts » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Thats a really nice blue too
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 pm

So cause I have so much time to do the build I thought I might as well build a custom Fuel tank to suit. The tank will take the Subaru Fuel Pump and Sender unit as this will work well with the Custom Guage set and Subaru engine.

Initial cals should see me with around 55L of fuel which is more than enough.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Neil
Manx Jnr

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:15 pm

You go girl :)
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Neil wrote:You go girl :)

Well I would but on my 1st day of holidays I find myself sitting in my office watching code pass by .... you would think they could last a few weeks without breaking something ... :roll:
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Matt
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am

That looks alright Brad. Nice Blue.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:15 am

Well it was another slow day I spent most of it sorting out suppliers and getting stuff sorted for a big Thursday / Friday.

That being said though I did do what I always seem to do and start cutting fibreglass .... yep thats right I have started cutting up my Manxter body to help fit the Subaru 5 Speed Transmission. Teh Subaru sits a lot higher than a stock Type 1 / 2 transmission and also a lot further forward.

I tried it with a 2" lift kit and it would clear without cutting so that was an option but in this case I want the body to sit as low as possible and to do that it meant that I would have to cut some fibreglass. Once I am happy with the clearance I will need to add some re-inforcement to compensate for the loss of the glass in the rear area. This Manxter will get a 3mm alloy cover which will be bolted to the glass with sika to ensure a good seal and best bond possible.

Hopefully I will get a start on the pan tomorrow now I don't need it for anymore body mods.

Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Matt
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 am

Brad, in the last pic, the mock up buggy in the back ground. I see you guys are working on bar work etc. Out of interest is there a reason you guys change the angle of the fwd bar where you do ?
Just thinking cosmetically it'd look better if it followed the line of the screen / dash and kinked below the body line.
Brad
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Brad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 am

Matt wrote:Brad, in the last pic, the mock up buggy in the back ground. I see you guys are working on bar work etc. Out of interest is there a reason you guys change the angle of the fwd bar where you do ?
Just thinking cosmetically it'd look better if it followed the line of the screen / dash and kinked below the body line.

It has to do with clearing the accelerator pedal. If you kick it any lower it ends up to far forward and pisses me off when I drive. Due to teh rule in relation to tube diameter we have found this works best. We have done some lower but in general it gets to close and I like to drive in my boots.

There is a bit of a change happening to that little Manx at the moment ... stay tuned to see what goes on :)
Brad

Meyers Manx Australia

www.meyersmanx.com.au
Matt
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 am

Oh yeah true.

Mate but this is QLD !.

Thought every body drove their buggies in thongs :)

Is there going to be a seperate thread for that little buggy then ? shop build or customers ?
BlueV2
Buggy Addict

Postby BlueV2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey Brad, does that amount of cut out at the back of the Manxter give enough clearance room for the clutch fork lever ?

Looks like you got the box further forward than I did which is a good thing. If I was to do mine again (which I'm not !!) I would move it further forward, but it would mean cutting a big chunk out of the back panel to allow for the reverse inlet manifold, throttle cable and the like.

Looks like we now need someone to build a buggy body that easily fits the Subarugears box and Subi motor :-).

Return to “Buggy & Baja Building”