rear disc brakes

Opening April 2011 , Meyers Manx Austraila is dedicated to bringing Meyers Manx Buggies back onto Australia Streets at all levels.

http://www.meyersmanx.com.au

Moderator: manxiberty

Kane

rear disc brakes

Postby Kane » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Hello all, this is my first post. Currently restoring a super sport mk1 swb buggy, 11+ years on and off. My question for all is, with 4wheel disc brakes do I install the system as a diagonal opposed dual circuit or front and rear dual circuits. Are both the master cylinder pistons the same size in a 72 super bug m/c. I'll pull the old one down and check, if they are I don't see the harm in diagonal opposite set up. :D

Tried to add photo not successful.
Lovebuggy
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: rear disc brakes

Postby Lovebuggy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 pm

I would set it up with front and rears seperate.

Setting up diagonal is not good because if you lose one of your front wheel brakes, your steering will pull hard to side with the brake applied and you will have limited steering control.

The rear wheel will not really offset it.

I can't comment on Master Cyclinder size.
Are you a financial member of the club??

Go to "http://www.manxclub.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1667" and sign up today.
Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the input, Lovebug
It was setup fr/r when it was a super beetle, but r/drums. I'm a Honda technician and all new vehicles are setup diagonal as well as abs systems and vsa to control direction. I would have to run 2 lines to the rear, not a problem but I think I'll speak to john at Volks conversion where the kit came from, see what info he has to offer.
I haven't quite completed the floor pan and will install the complete new brake system after the paint goes on.
Thanks again, and all thoughts on this diagonal setup are valued.
Cheers good people.
Tratty
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby Tratty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi Kane I don't know anything about ABS or the like, but if you are going to keep it simple you are looking for disc kit for a buggy rear end make sure the brakes are big enough to pull up the large diameter wheels, a lot of kits out there are only designed for a beetle with the same size rear wheels which are just not adequate,from my experience you need something like commodore VN rears or XF or EA although I'm sure there's heaps of others out there.

Return to “Meyers Manx Australia”