Towdster Build

After years of working with others Paul has stepped out of the shadows and is showing what he has to offer in the Buggy Building and general Automotive Fabrication Arena. Located in South East QLD, Paul ships Australia and Worldwide with no job to big or small.

Moderator: manxiberty

manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Towdster Build

Postby manxiberty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 am

So what do buggy guys do in their spare time :roll: .... time to start a build thread for this then , although this was meant to be a simple bolt back together job some parts werent worth salvaging and for future modifications certain things will need to be swapped out and provisions made.

First thing that comes to mind will be the rear horns, the old unit was a fairly tired and poorly finished early swing axle rear clip.
We have decided to put in a late model IRS rear section so in the future this can be converted to IRS & kombi box without the need to start over again...
A good idea for anybody renevating an old buggy or baja. installing pivot boxes with bodies on is a PITA and only ends in tears and hot bits of metal down shirt sleeves :lol: .
Still running a Swing axle gearbox initially but provisions to run a kombi box have been made with crush tubes installed, who knows this thing may end up with a subarugears 5 spd but we are keeping things simple for the moment, we dont want to turn this into a 10 year build now do we :lol:

One thing that we've noticed with a lot of USA towds is that most of these rear ends seem to be poorly finished off when it comes to the cut just in front of the torsion tube. most still have burrs attached from the angle grinder and are often a bit of an ugly mess with clutch tubes, and handbrake tubes hanging in mid air. Ok for on road but offroad this will make a nice sand and mud storage area so we got to work and plated the end and included new hand brake lines which will extend forward closer to the handbrake assembly with the idea of using some rubber bellows to seal the handbrake cables from sand and dirt.

carrying this around the workshop sure is easy....I think I like towds

we still need to add a clutch tube mount for the bowden tube as well and weld up some of the fuel line and heater cable holes :roll:
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Towdster Build

Postby PUD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:27 am

Is this another towd you're doing here in Aussie Paul?
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:55 pm

yes :wink:

Steelart.com.au
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 pm

And the same cool kid owns both of them lol , now to just keep the enthusiasum continuing to finish all the fleet for valla
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
bugman

Postby bugman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:43 pm

how can one acquire one of these towdsters? I;mport from USA and find a tow'd savy engineer?
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Darren i'dd be following up on the one in Newcastle if i was you,your old man will know the one , the old Big Dog Towdster
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 am

A bit more progress on the old girl,

tramp bars have been added to the rear end to help support the frame horns, a new gearbox mount to adapt the late style irs rear mount, tubes added for future gearbox upgrade to kombi box, new handbrake tubes which extend up to the seat area on the towd to avoid bare cables , horns have been fully seam welded, end plate tig'd on to cover the big hole and stop mud and sand filling the rear end, mounts for the rear cage added.

Have also made a complete centre consule section which also mounts the brake master, handbrake, pedal assembly and shift lever.
Also included a liberty handbrake lever which solved the location problems and makes this feel nice.

All coated in Raptor U-pol and ready to go in

a big thanks to oztowdster for the time he has put into this build as well. Its quite funny how quickly we can overcome hurdles when you work with someone who has eaten, breathed and slept thinking of a towd build for the last few years.

Steelart.com.au

Return to “SteelArt Creations - Buggy Build SE QLD”