Manx SWB Chassis and Papers etc QLD needed/wanted

Want something for your Buggy ? Here is the place to post

Moderator: manxiberty

Bradston

Manx SWB Chassis and Papers etc QLD needed/wanted

Postby Bradston » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:59 am

Hello all,I'm new to the site so be kind...

I've got what I suspect is a common story. Purchased an unregistered Manx in 1991 (aged 15) spent the following 2 years rebuilding the beast, only to find registration in Qld impossible because I had no proof of prior rego and/or modification approval etc...

Now, it's time to complete this project!

I'll have to fully rebuild the Manx again as its been sitting in a paddock for 20 years. The tub appears structurally OK. However, the chassis has rusted through in the rear forks (possibly repairable). I also have another chassis with IRS rear (full length). I hope the forks, head and centre tube are OK (pans rusted out).

Wanted: Ability to register SWB Manx in QLD - Paper work etc and/or chassis with papers etc (advice!)
Wanted: Seats, roll-cage, rear engine cage and front bar. - someones stalled project?

Advice also welcome. Cheers Bradston
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Re: Manx SWB Chassis and Papers etc QLD needed/wanted

Postby OzTowdster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Brad , you are talking to the wrong people if they tell you , you cant register a short manx from scratch still .
Give Paul a ring at Down South Motorsports 0410 571 010 ( formerly called Steelart ) and he will point you in the right direction in regards to engineers that are buggy friendly for your registration ,plus Paul has also got full workshop facilities for fabricating anything you cant do yourself
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
Bradston

Postby Bradston » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi OzTowdster,

Thanks for the info. However,doesn't that mean I'd have to do a full ICV and fully comply with the current ADR's (http://www.meyersmanx.com.au/?page_id=244)?

Can you achieve this using a 1960's VW engine?

Thanks Bradston
OzTowdster
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby OzTowdster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:06 am

Bradston wrote:Hi OzTowdster,

Thanks for the info. However,doesn't that mean I'd have to do a full ICV and fully comply with the current ADR's (http://www.meyersmanx.com.au/?page_id=244)? No

Can you achieve this using a 1960's VW engine? Yes you can run the VW motor

Thanks Bradston
Working at getting my Towdster and the Baja Bus back on the road !!!
PUD
Manx Club Member
Manx Club Member

Postby PUD » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:56 pm

G'day Bradston, welcome to the forum :) Afraid I'm no help at all with the how-to's with the rego bit...as seeing I had no knowledge about these things I went the lazy mans way of getting a long wheel base buggy which had already been blue plated & rego'd, so the previous owner had already done all the leg work on it....Stick to it & am sure you'll get there.....would love to see some pics if you have time to post some :D Pud
Bradston

Postby Bradston » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Pud,

I'm cleaning up the body at the moment.Mainly filling old drill holes and removing crazing from the gel coat. Will hopefully have it in etch/primer this weekend. Then I'll start to look at the chassis and engineering requirements.
Cheers Bradston
Attachments
Buggy2.jpg
Buggy1.jpg
manxiberty
Manx Club Prez
Manx Club Prez

Postby manxiberty » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:46 pm

no need for full ICV, in QLD it is now based on the chassis year and not year of restoration so to speak and thus requires different bits and pieces according to year....if you start with an earlier chassis theres essentially less hoops.....if you go for 74 and later I believe it complicates it and you start needing to comply with more ADRS applicable to that year - padded dashes and steering wheel centres etc...

you will normally be required to update a few things like the move to lap sash retractable seat belts and laminated windscreen glass which is just common sense more then anything....but its a matter of knowing who to ask and who understands the system to give you what your aiming for.....a vw savvy engineer helps as they actually understand the suspension, driveline and overall dynamics of the vehicle and have generally been through it before prior to you.....If you talk to anyone else you risk bizarro hoops to jump through or being told its not possible.....as they are trying hard to cover themselves for something they don't quite understand....

fuscia pink.....nice......I started with something very similar.....brings back memories of acetone and spare time......
if in doubt hit it with speed.... just don't hit the cactus!

Steelart.com.au

Return to “Wanted”